PDA

View Full Version : Type rating statistics

Tubbs
19th Nov 2004, 19:00
Given the significant amount of space devoted to the pros and cons of paying for your own type rating speculatively (not Easy/Ryan TRSS), I thought it might be a good idea to collect some data which could be used to inform the decision making process.

Can I suggest a survey delivered through this site which captures information such as:
Type
TRTO
Cost of course
Course detail (i.e. what is included)
Date undertaken
Age of applicant
Training history (e.g. modular/integrated and FTO)
Total time
Applicant employment status (still looking/1 interview pending/not a peep etc.)
Anything else that would be useful

I accept that the accuracy of this information will be dependent on respondents' honesty (as with all web-based surveys), but I believe it would still be very useful in building a picture for those considering the potentially massive outlay of such training.

What say youse?

Easy Glider
20th Nov 2004, 12:17
Absolutely f***ing priceless. That is one of the best, funniest but also correct and accurate posts I have ever read. Really made me chuckle !!!

spaceman1000
20th Nov 2004, 18:47
it is called BRITISH MADNESS (BM), ...:}

haughtney1
21st Nov 2004, 18:12
Perfect diction Dr Pepper......hopefully the muppets with more money than sense will take note....

Buter
21st Nov 2004, 19:10
The best commedians simply state the truth and let the audience figure out the idiocy of the situation. Job well done DP.

Tubbs
21st Nov 2004, 22:20
I was actually thinking that with a bit of hard evidence i.e. paid for 73 TR with x company 12 months ago and no interviews etc, potential applicants would have the information to balance the claims of TRTOs and the large amounts of bull**** spouted by those in favour and those against on this here website.

I don't have any particular axe to grind but I would be interested to see the facts and figures.

TRon
21st Nov 2004, 23:29
I don't have any particular axe to grind but I would be interested to see the facts and figures.

i.e. Before you wander up and pay??

Seriously, without an airline backing it via a TRSS it really is a waste of money.

Oh, but maybe you could pay another 20k for line training? Then you WILL be attractive with 100 hours on type all paid for via a company cheap enough to take a guy who is PAYING to operate., as well as the punters in the back!

These airlines must be laughing to themselves.

It's obvious you are thinking of it. Any airline that takes someone who has paid their own type outside of their training system is not one most would want to work for, believe me, and once the rose tinted glasses have sunk (and that will be after the line trainingwhich you might have paid for!) you'll wonder why the hell you paid the money for your licence, let alone your type rating!!

No doubt you'll give this post a big ignoring, but think very hard my friend!!

Luke SkyToddler
22nd Nov 2004, 05:26
And there'd be no objectivity to any such survey ... I have a pretty strong suspicion that there are a lot of unemployed 200 hour bought-their-737-rating punters out there, but noone's going to come on here and admit that they didn't get a job but their sim training partner did!

And even if a bunch of people came on and said just that, the TRTO's and people who feed off wannabe's and make a living selling speculative type ratings would just make up a whole bunch of imaginary user names and come on here banging on about how they got a job and the market is so hot for type rated drivers etc etc.

Don't forget that creating a bunch of hype and convincing people to buy type ratings is now BIG business, and a lot of very sharp businessmen right here in the UK, make good livings out of doing just that.

There are still jobs out there for quality candidates that don't require you to spend a nickel on your own training. If you can't get them then maybe you aren't a quality candidate, and you should p!ss off and get some instructing time first and stop trying to run before you can walk :mad:

The mole
22nd Nov 2004, 11:42
'Don't forget that creating a bunch of hype and convincing people to buy type ratings is now BIG business, and a lot of very sharp businessmen right here in the UK, make good livings out of doing just that.'

Rather like selling you a frozen ATPL then with the promise that the pilot shortage is just around the corner?

It's called a free market economy I believe and if you don't like it don't pay, or vote for a government that will regulate the industry differently and then see how many pilot jobs there are.

We are not skygods we are bus/train/aircraft drivers in the eyes of all

Tubbs
22nd Nov 2004, 17:11
Before this gets any sillier I'd like to clarify a few points. I am actually fundamentally opposed to this type of scheme and I thought that by providing some statistics rather than ranting on about it (see above), fewer people would be lulled into what I see as a desperate course of action.

However, comments from the likes of Skytoddler ("maybe you aren't a quality candidate") get right up my arse and are absolutely no help to anyone. And what makes you think that such a survey would not be objective? Names (not even usernames) would be published, so why would anyone have anything to gain by misreprenting themselves? BTW TRon, even if I had the money I wouldn't consider paying for a TR unless it was EZ TRss or similar, but I will nevertheless be ignoring your post anyway.

Tubbs (quality candidate, flying instructor and loving every minute of it)

TRon
22nd Nov 2004, 18:20
;)

At least you are on the right road to employment through instructing.. Hope you find the next rung on the ladder soon!

TRon

Vortex Thing
23rd Nov 2004, 15:35
I fear that some of you are missing the point. Luke Sky Toddler especially if you belive that being a quality candiate gets you a job then maybe they need to add a psychommetric part to the Class 1 renewal!!!

It isn't a meritocracy out there. Most people desperate enough to pay for a type rating are doing so because they can't get an interview for love or money without one. If someone genuinely assessed candidates on thier abilities then paying for type ratings wouldn't move you up (or down) the pile.

Unfortunately (not complaining it's just how it is) this business is not a meritocracy because it really is who you know that makes a difference in the present climate.

If airlines really do want the best candidates then they would select them on their abilities just like the forces do rather than rely on thier mates to put a CV on the chief pilots desk above someone elses. (yes of course I realize that generals children almost always seem to pass selection but thas not very many)

The reality is is that the airlines don't want Chuck Yeager in every pilot they would rather have a slightly lower standard of pilot with the more essential CRM skills which are very much harder to spot on a CV hence the mate check is one of the best ways to ensure consistency.

This is what perpetuates the folk who will pay for a type rating because it does give them a chance to work somewhere rather than McDonalds. Do I realize that this may in your eyes end up for them working for some dodgy 737-200 operator east of here, possibly but that is a better wage than instructing for just about anywhere in the JAA community so not surprisingly more attractive.

RVR800
24th Nov 2004, 09:36
From next year the campaign to abolish aviation CAA will have
to cough up stats on success rates for frozen ATPL holders
when asked - that's when the sh1t will really hit the fan

Hooooooooooooow many?

People will then KNOW that there is no pilot shortage

Racing Green
24th Nov 2004, 10:22
Do you know when these figures will be published or available, I would like to see them.

haughtney1
24th Nov 2004, 18:52
I thought CAA=Campaign against aviation.....rather than abolish..oh well just symantics......hmm my beer is empty!