PDA

View Full Version : Gullibility

detgnome
19th Nov 2004, 18:06
Picture the scene...

You are the UK's premier Tornado ADV conversion unit, on det at a little known eastern med airbase. At a beer call you decide to pick on the (naive and somewhat misguided) holding officer resulting in a (not undeserved) soaking for the poor individual. Imagine our surprise when aforementioned steely eyed killers willingly assemble for a 'commemorative piccy' in front of UK's premier eastern med SAR Sqn's bar only to have large amount of water appear from roof and dampen their spirit!

Cue much laughter and phrases such as 'revenge is a dish best served cold' etc

Childish, but very amusing at the time.

Any similar stories...?

Stitchbitch
19th Nov 2004, 18:57
Picture the scene...

You are the boss of the UK's premier Tornado ADV conversion unit, on det at a little known eastern med airbase. At a beer call you decide to tell the boys how well they have performed, and that you have to go as you have a table waiting at the embassy or somesuch....Cue lineys on roof with dustbins full of water...cue much splitting of sides...cue very angry boss...cue rather sheepish crowd....Sorry Phil, you never did make your appointment! :E
(runner up was jengo leaving camera behind whilst backseating to the UK...hope his wife approved of the snaps!!)

Lee Jung
19th Nov 2004, 20:34
Witnessed a group of new entry officer cadets at Dartmouth running up a b*at*rd of a hill to collect their arctic white berets from stores.

More officer cadets in a passage way of a steely grey merchant of death, standing over the luminous escape arrows, recharging them with a torch.

Watching the first wocca det on the black pig trying to pay their bunk light bills in the pay office.

Viewing bods signing up for a subsidised skiing trip to the Netherlands.

Melchett01
19th Nov 2004, 21:06
Believing anything Bliar, Buffhoon or PMA ever said.

Oggin Aviator
19th Nov 2004, 21:12
trying to pay their bunk light bills in the pay office
... or going to stores for a "long whait"

... or going to the depths of the ship to find the "golden rivet"

:ok:

WE Branch Fanatic
19th Nov 2004, 21:27
In the days when we had quite a few ships with Sea Cat, some wags thought it amusing to tell newbies to "take a saucer of milk to the Sea Cat".......

........so I've heard.

flying bizzie
19th Nov 2004, 21:30
Did you know that the word 'gullible' does not appear in any dictionary?

John Eacott
20th Nov 2004, 00:04
Crossing the pond when we had proper CVA's, happened to remark to a Bucc driver that we'd soon be fitting hooks to the Sea Kings for non diversion ops.

Plagued for days by 809 crews asking how the hook attached to the fuel dump pipe ;) :cool:

6Z3
20th Nov 2004, 07:26
Queues for the ship's sponsored Malta Dog Shoot.

Young colleague dressed for dinner in 'tropical' Red Sea rig.

Self, attempting to order some ice from the ICE workshop.

AllTrimDoubt
20th Nov 2004, 08:44
...or sending some poor OUT all around the bowels of the boat looking for the "moveable pump store"

Any volunteers for Splash Target Cox'n ?

whowhenwhy
20th Nov 2004, 14:07
Ahh, the good old O-N/O-F-F switch.

Young lad new into the tower was driving around the airfield on a lovely summers day (ie the PAR-remember the old ones that worked IFR-was off) and on returning to the tower after getting us hard working controllers some more doughnuts realised that he had driven in front of the PAR! Shock, horror, you can't drive in front of the PAR, you'll be sterilised!

Quick trip to the med centre to see pre-briefed med staff, to provide a sample for analysis! Poor lad was subjected to as many different tests as you can imagine and some of them could not possibly have been associated with sterilsation. But they were professional medics, they knew what they were doing!

The lad was returned to the tower with the knowledge that the results would be back later that afternoon. Later that evening, during tower beer call, lad had still not got results and was somewhat distressed. Cue chief medic's arrival to deliver results of analysis to assembled multitude! Rank bullying is no joke! Just remember that :ok:

airborne_artist
20th Nov 2004, 14:30
Scene:

One of HM's finest carriers of FW aircraft, circa 1970.

A young electrical engineering officer cracks his scalp open - goes to Sick Bay for treatment. MO puts in stitches. MO says "I'll take them out in a week". Officer reports to SB 7 days later, MO says "I think it would be interesting and educational if I removed these in the Wardroom, so other officers can understand the procedure".

MO sits patient down in Wardroom on chair, fellow officers gather round. MO parts the hair, and there, securely stitched over the well-healed wound is a 13A fuse.

Cue much hilarity..........

John Eacott
20th Nov 2004, 20:24
a_a,

Doc Adamson, Eagle (wasn't the victim an 899 looker?). A character fondly remembered. Remember his giant size Zippo lighter, it just fitted into his No 5's pocket? Tip toeing past his cabin on 4 deck at 0300 after night flying, trying not to get ordered to join him for a snifter or two? Tugg's cartoons still have him as the caricature for any doctor :D

About 1970 he gave me an aircrew medical, at the end of which I was taken out to the sick bay flat, faced against the bulkhead, and given a "hearing test".

Finger in one ear, repeat after me "58"
"58, Sir"

Other ear, "f#ck off".......... "got that , Sir"

"What did I say? !!"

Eventually forced to repeat it, to the great amusement of the jolly jacks in the queue.

"Don't talk to the Padre like that!!!"

Needless to say, Doc had scarpered, and the Padre was controlling the event :ok:

airborne_artist
20th Nov 2004, 20:45
John E

The good Doc A did my post AIB aircrew medical at Seafield Park - and was still there about a year later when I went through on the Aeromedicine/First Aid/Survival Course - I can see him now at the end of course party ....

John Eacott
20th Nov 2004, 21:03
Seafield Park: I managed a small revenge, having rigged cotton to the finger of the skeleton that Doc shared the lectern with. Post lunch, he was quite shocked when it (the skeleton) tapped him on the shoulder :D

EESDL
22nd Nov 2004, 19:24
Ever tried to find the switch to the windsock?

insty66
22nd Nov 2004, 20:27
What about your ID 10 T photo also known as excersise ID complete with respirator on and and board with ID 10 T and name on it!
Seen plenty go for that not that I'd ever fall for something so obvious:O

althenick
23rd Nov 2004, 13:23
...Green oil for the starboard lamp - for some odd reason that one still works today:confused:

Inspector Dreyfuss
23rd Nov 2004, 14:07
Picture the scene, a standard extremely grotty day in The Falklands approximately 16 years ago. A pair of F4s are slated to get airborne for some PIs working with GCI from Mount Kent. The controller, an infamous character, allegedly with experience of being a pilot on the Chinook, is no stranger to initiating the odd wind-up. Let us call him Dave and, on this occasion, he is on the receiving end. Needless to say for those who may know him, Dave's talents were far stronger as a part-time stand-up comic than as an intercept controller. [Stock phrase in the ops room - "STAND-BY!!!!"]
With the complicity of all concerned, apart from Dave, the F4 aircrew go through with the R/T of the entire sortie using their radios from the safety of the pan at Mount Pleasant. Dave, convinced that he can see the odd plot of the F4s on the old, notoriously poor, Mount Kent analogue radar, sweated away in the control cabin, eyes straining at the clutter....
'Yes, yes, contact on your target now, 270/30 etc etc'.
After the full duration of the sortie, the F4s taxied back to their HAS' with Dave, unlike the rest of 1435 Flt, ATC and the FIADGE, totally oblivious to the fact that the jets had not even launched.

Skeleton
25th Nov 2004, 17:26
Gullibility:

Watching a poor unfortunate pacing around the Ident Beacon, mug of tea in hand, trying to find the door to give the operator his cuppa :)

Plain Daft:

The poor lad at flossiemouth sent to stores for a skirting board ladder, on his return he admitted he could find no such ladder, and I will never forget the look of horror on his face when he was asked "You didn't forget the tartan paint, did you?" :)