PDA

View Full Version : Air-rage businessman spared jail after girlfriend's suicide

Wirraway
19th Nov 2004, 13:57
http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/

Air-rage businessman spared jail after girlfriend's suicide

A DRUNKEN businessman brought terror to a long-haul flight when he wrestled with aircrew and tried to force his way into the cockpit.

Michael Dorrn, 29, downed a cocktail of red wine and Valium on a plane from Bangkok to London and then erupted with "air rage" when he was refused more alcohol.

After striking his girlfriend in the face, Dorrn, of Kingswood Avenue, Sanderstead, demanded to see the captain and made a dash for the flight deck. It took five crew members to restrain and handcuff him as terrified passengers looked on.

But the hotel-owner escaped jail this week after a court heard his partner of seven years had committed suicide since the incident on April 24.

He admitted endangering the Qantas Boeing 747 flight from Bangkok to Heathrow and common assault and was fined £700 and ordered to pay £3,300 in costs and compensation.

Judge Hezlett Colgan told Isleworth Crown Court: "Those who behave on aeroplanes to the alarm and distress of crew members and other passengers nearly always go to prison - especially when they endanger the aircraft.

"In the normal way you would go to prison for these offences. They are very serious indeed and the travelling public expects courts to do just that."

But giving him credit for his previous good character and taking account of his medical history, the judge spared Dorrn a prison sentence because of the "devastating effect" the death of his partner must have had on him.

A claim of £55,000 costs by Qantas for flying witnesses to Britain was also dismissed as "ridiculous".

The court had heard that trouble flared when the businessman, who had earlier swallowed valium, reacted angrily when told a fourth bottle of red wine would be his last.

Minutes later, Dorrn, who runs a hotel in Cambodia, struck his girlfriend in the face and then defiantly told aircrew: "She's my wife and I can do what I want with her."

The pair were separated but Dorrn tried to climb over other passengers' seats to get to her and struggled with a flight steward, who received a cut to the face, said Jonathan Wright, prosecuting.

"He was obstructive, making loud demands to see the captain and trying to get to the flight deck," said the prosecutor. "He was kept in a seat until he requested to go to the toilet and then made a dash for the stairs to the flight deck.

"He was physically restrained and when he tried five minutes later he was handcuffed. It took five members of the crew, assisted by passengers, to restrain him."

Dorrn could remember little about the flight and was later "full of remorse", said Nicholas Dunham, defending.

"His partner of seven years, whom he had planned to marry, committed suicide since this incident," he told the court.

=============================================

Capt Claret
20th Nov 2004, 00:28
For the life of me I don't see what the subsequent death of his partner has to do with his actions on the day! :confused:

Talk about send a message. Have good sob story, get off......

Whiskery
21st Nov 2004, 06:45
Pathetic :mad:

All due respects to the Judge, but he got it WRONG !, Big Time, and this will set a precedent as Claret has correctly identified. :(

BundyBlack
21st Nov 2004, 23:54
"reacted angrily when told a fourth bottle of red wine would be his last"

Fourth bottle! Try four bottles of red at altitude with or without Vallium and see how much you remember. Maybe they were those little bottles......

Buster Hyman
22nd Nov 2004, 01:04
Hmmm...must remember that defence. The hard part is getting someone to top themselves for me. :suspect: :hmm:

Uncommon Sense
22nd Nov 2004, 01:17
You lot really give new definition to 'the chattering classes'.

You have a very high opinion of your own opinion, but you have none of the facts - now who does that sound like?

And you can't even express your ill thought out views in good taste.

I am no apologist for such in-flight public behaviour, but I would defer to the balance of a Crown Court appointee over your self indignant and supremely ignorant lynch-mob mentality.

Buster Hyman
22nd Nov 2004, 04:31
"C'mon everyone! Let's get him!!!":rolleyes:

Whiskery
22nd Nov 2004, 08:41
Poor attempt at a wind up Uncommon Sense. The judge should have thrown the book at that idiot and most crew who have been involved with drunken and unruly passengers would agree.

Apologies if you have just split up from your girlfriend. :sad:

notmyC150v2
23rd Nov 2004, 04:47
2 issues:

Firstly, why was the request to pay the costs of flying witnesses to the trial "ridiculous"? If the witnesses were required to attend in order for the prosecution to succeed I would have thought that witness travel expenses would have been reasonable. Not having the facts though does make it difficult.

Second issue is the fact that the guy was clearly abusive to his girlfriend (at least on the flight in question) so why should the court grant a twit like that special consideration just because his girlfriend tragically committed suicide at some later point? :ugh:

7gcbc
23rd Nov 2004, 07:43
devils advocate here ?

It is clear his life was falling apart, we are certainly not going to be made privy to the details of same which came out in the court case, and thus I would probably suggest that extreme mitigating circumstances were employed by the defence, in fairness to the judges' scentence, I don't see how a jail scentence would have made things better.

4 bottles is quite alot, were they 750 ml ? if so , i can imagine him being a complete pain in the **** ., but hardly able to walk ?

dunno, mixed about this, clearly a threat, but this sort of stuff happened quite alot on the sumer commuter ibiza (or used to ) route to the med each summer, usual stuff, fools abroad for the first time, mostly harmless, usually a pain, and very rarely dangerous.

I agee he got off lightly, but would a jail scentence have solved anything, given that his fiance had killed herself ?

The 55k is a hard to tackle without seeing the expense breakdown, I assume 1st class seats, and a hotel for a week or so, and compensation for loss of income ?

7gcbc