PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue medium outlook positive: CEO

Wirraway
19th Nov 2004, 05:40
AAP
November 19, 2004 - 4:20PM

Virgin Blue medium outlook positive: CEO

Virgin Blue chief executive Brett Godfrey says while the airline's short-term outlook remains cautious, the company sees a more positive future from March 2005.

Mr Godfrey said if 10 per cent capacity growth continued the airline expected declining yields to firm in the 12 months from March 2005.

"The outlook remains cautious for us ... to the end of March 2005," he said.

"Beyond that, assuming things do go our way, we see a different situation developing next year.

"It's a pretty optimistic outlook for us medium to long term."

Earlier this week, Virgin Blue reported a better than expected two per cent fall in half year net profit to $63 million.

Speaking at a Securities Institute lunch in Melbourne Mr Godfrey said Virgin Blue could control 70 per cent of its costs but was under pressure from rising fuel costs and increasing airport charges.

Fuel increases cut $100 million off the bottom line in 2004/05, and the company did not expect prices to ease.

"We're forecasting fuel at $US60 (a barrel) and the dollar at 74 US cent," Mr Godfrey said outside the briefing.

The price of jet fuel was trading this week at over $US56.00 a barrel.

The price of light, sweet crude oil for December on the New York Mercantile Exchange fell 2 cents from its overnight closing to $US46.20 per barrel mid-morning in Asia Friday.

The Australian dollar hit another nine-month high on Thursday lifting 0.75 US cents to 78.17 US cents.

Mr Godfrey said Virgin Blue was benefitting from the strengthening Australian dollar.

However he said increases to airport fees since 2001 had cost the airline $150 million a year.

Mr Godfrey told the lunch if Virgin Blue had its time over again it would have bought the airport terminals off Ansett when it the chance.

"And we'd have had to hock the airline to do it," he said.

Virgin Blue has applied to the courts to have airports brought back within the fold of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission reviewing processes.

The lunch was told that Virgin Blue's overseas operation Pacific Blue was looking to increase its services to Fiji with a daily services expected to be announced soon.

Mr Godfrey said the company was looking at growing through freight and Asian opportunities and hoped to make an announcement within six months.

He confirmed Virgin Blue was in talks with two parties in Asia including Hong Kong's Shun Tak Holdings Ltd, a conglomerate controlled by Macau gambling tycoon Stanley Ho, about running a no-frills carrier from Macau.

© 2004 AAP
Brought to you by

=========================================

rampstalker
28th Nov 2004, 06:14
Yes very nice PR stuff Brett, but I bet you could make HEAPS MORE $ if you were to listen to the staff that supported you when you had bugger all and who went more than the extra nine yards to make it all work. Dismay on top of dismay, you have a bunch of good loyal staff Brett, but have bypassed them, some have spat the dummy and left so you bring in or push up some that have very limited or no experience or exposure to Aiviation who then bring in hoards of consultants, even worse Brett is that if you were to go down a few levels to talk to the older/experienced and generally internally down trodden you would learn a lot. If you were to then listen and act, I bet there would be some staff changes nearer to your level.
Do it on your own Brett, and do it soon and take only your note pad and your ears, leave the side kicks up stairs with the flow charts and other high level crap and take it all in.
Yes I was one of your staff, once!!!

HGW
28th Nov 2004, 08:22
I agree with you rampstalker. The good thing id that VB are starting to hire experienced airline people especially in the high up jobs. Logical decisions are being made now which used to frustrate the hell out of all when you could see the benefits. The terminals was the most obvious one. Things are a changing and for the better. Just need to get rid of the non airline wannabes such as any one who worked for Brisbane Airport and things will get even better.

Are you CO from Sydney?

rampstalker
29th Nov 2004, 02:51
Well for the sake of the 1000s of staff that are working so hard to make it work for Brett then its good news that AIRLINE staff are being hired. But where?
However the situation in the Valley, well another story. I do know that there are some folk with Bretts ear that are not from an aviation background and having witnessed first hand the decisions and comments from them, its still a worry. While some of the other long serving staff are ignored and honestly its to the detriment of the operation. I am talking about non engineering staff that have no aviation back ground whatso ever being in the decision making process while the experience down a few floors is being ignored. I did learn that the ex CASA walla has been shown the door and that the new face ex QF has free rein BUT Brett still has to show a lot more the door or slap them down, and bring in the experience IF its not on site allready. But he will of course be hampered by the HR department, nil aviation back ground so no understanding of whats required or sense of urgency.
A lot of good faces have left, and I do know some other very experienced folk are about to jump ship. Brett Urgently needs to go talk to his staff and listen and learn, and he needs to do it with out any one else being there.
You can take it I am ex Brisbane.

HGW
29th Nov 2004, 07:00
I am one of the long serving staff that was ignored after starting from day one and all the tough times. I have left and now work for another airline. I know exactly what you mean. It is such a shame. I know so many good "orinals" who have left.

The Enema Bandit
29th Nov 2004, 08:42
HGW, has an orinal got something to do with a urinal??