PDA

View Full Version : New Boeing Aircraft

averytdeaconharry
18th Nov 2004, 18:17
Rumour has it that when the exclusive deal between Boeing and GE on the engines for the 777-200LR expire next year a new RR version of the aircraft will be developed which will permit non-stop operations between SYD and LON. Apparently the fuel burn of the RR engine is so much better that this will be possible. Anyone else heard this one?

Eurekadelta
19th Nov 2004, 09:10
I would not be surprised.

The backorder list for 777-200's is pretty poor, and adding another engine supplier should make the aircraft more attractive for a few more airlines and therefore increase sales - particularly if the new engine also improves performance making the aircraft a more attractive overall package.

Torquelink
19th Nov 2004, 16:30
Interesting rumour! I wasn't aware that he GE monopoly agreement would expire so soon. Also, I thought (and perhaps BA 777 flight deck could enlighten me) that the Trent, while a whole lot lighter than the GE90, has a higher fuel burn with a relative advantage crossover point of about 6,000nm i.e. when the lower fuel burn of the GE90 more than compensates for its higher installed weight relative to the Trent. If this is the case, it is unlikely that the Trent would give the -200LR better range than the GE90. Unless, I suppose, that pushing the thrust to 115k/lb also resulted in a huge improvement in sfc?

The -200LR certainly is a slow seller - just 5 firm orders to date from EVA and PIA. This is probably the reason why Boeing have just announced they are to commence offering of the -200LRF.

With respect to the -300ER/200LR in general, it was widely rumoured that many airlines were p***ed off that Boeing wouldn't offer the Trent and that, as a consequence, they haven't ordered it. These carriers were said to include CX, TG and SQ but, as SQ has now ordered the -300ER with GE90s, I imagine that this is an indication that no Trent-powered model is forthcoming.

:D