PDA

View Full Version : It's snowing!

Rugz
18th Nov 2004, 18:12
Tis a winter wonderland outside in arctic Birmingham at the moment!

(The drive home from Nottingham wasn't much fun though).

nosefirsteverytime
18th Nov 2004, 18:20
*grumble*

Lucky barstewards

It was wet in Dublin today......and cold........

simon brown
18th Nov 2004, 18:23
Blimey I left BHX 2 hours ago and it was arainin though Ive just seem that Shefali Oza :ok: doing the weather and indeed it is.....ive got to go there again tomorrow
Ladbrookes will be doing the annual White Christmas betting routine....I bet

flybhx
18th Nov 2004, 18:26
They've just said that it'll snow for a couple of hours and then we've got a mega frost on top so watch out in the morning folks.

El Grifo
18th Nov 2004, 18:32
26 centigrade, light winds and clear blue skies here in Grifoland !!
Added to that its 7.28 in the evening

Aye dream on. Until last week it was serious summer as described above. Today was grey, overcast windy and cold, right now its 18.6 centigrade but it feels much colder.

This cold snap has hit us all at the same time, bad forbodings for the approaching winter.

sprocket
18th Nov 2004, 18:38
30Deg C, light sea breeze, water surface temp. 26.5Deg C.

Better rug up tonight, it might plumett down to 24Deg. ;)

Jinkster
18th Nov 2004, 18:49
Been snowing in Sheffield area (Peak District) since around 3pm

Cranfield and Milton Keynes is all white (7:30pm)

Tut - suppost to be flying tomorrow, oh..well will have to oil the sledge instead :E

IB4138
18th Nov 2004, 18:59
Wot is this snow stuff you is talking about?

Don't happen ere!

Although it is possible at the turn of the year to swim in the Med in the morning, drive for 1/2 hours and ski in the Siera Nevada in the afternoon....and it is pleasant.

BTW It's mid November and we have temps forecast of 70+ plus for the weekend.

Wino
18th Nov 2004, 19:03
Its snowing?
Must be global warming :cool:

PS.... It snowed here last week....

Cheers
Wino

AerBabe
18th Nov 2004, 19:37
Piddling with rain here and has been all day. :(
Genghis the Engineer is supposed to be flying an aeroplane up to North Weald for me tomorrow... hope he doesn't need to swap skis for wheels. :ooh:

Jerricho
18th Nov 2004, 19:39
Ain't snowing here...................yet.

VFE
18th Nov 2004, 19:54
Well I'm in the lowlands of Cambridgeshire and it's been snowing big blobs here for nearly two hours now. There's a covering over exposed areas and it's FACKIN' FREEZING!

VFE.

Grainger
18th Nov 2004, 19:55
Well, mountain tops have got a dusting up here. Otherwise, it's just feckin' freezing....

Thirty06
18th Nov 2004, 20:07
Snowed in Harpenden (on Harpenden ?) at 20:20 GMT.

It's now headed of towards Aerbabe.

tony draper
18th Nov 2004, 20:10
No snow up here as yet, the summits of the pit heaps remain uncovered, it has been raining and it is brass monkey weather.
:rolleyes:

The Invisible Cat
18th Nov 2004, 20:10
JerrichoAin't snowing here...................yet.
'tis strange that your friend up north says nothing about that.
On thunk he must be sulking
:hmm:
or mebbe just hibernating

MrWoollie
18th Nov 2004, 20:16
My wife visiting Grannie near Birmingham (Cannick) confirms snow.

In Lincoln just cold and wet

Yuck

Jerricho
18th Nov 2004, 21:42
T.I.C.

Or mebbe out eating the tourists that visit there at this time of year :E

timmcat
18th Nov 2004, 21:44
About three hours of sleet and wet snow here this evening.

Thats the drive into work tomorrow fecked then.

redsnail
18th Nov 2004, 21:46
I peered out the window and it's snowing in Luton as per the TAF. Miracle. :D

Jerricho
18th Nov 2004, 21:47
Thats the drive into work tomorrow fecked then

Woo hoo! 3 day weekend!!!:}

Jerricho's boss
18th Nov 2004, 21:53
3 day weekend That's what you think.

timmcat
18th Nov 2004, 21:54
Yeah, but with modern technology I am allowed to work from home.

Suppose that has its advantages though... :E

Jerricho
18th Nov 2004, 21:55
Don't you fecking start with me. Or I'll call in sick for the next month...............again.

(And re-instate those sexual harrasement charges!)

DX Wombat
18th Nov 2004, 23:29
Thats the drive into work tomorrow fecked then.
That would be about right Timmcat They won't be able to drive up to the depot to get the snowploughs out until it has all melted :\ That's also assuming that we still have some in working order. Speaking of order, have you noticed how it is always the streets where a City Councillor lives which are cleared first? Gone are the days such as the one when they turned out the snowplough to clear a long, steep lane so I could reach a mum and baby in an isolated farmhouse. :( It was still a half mile walk across fields covered in deep drifts but that farmhouse was wonderfully warm inside - the benefits of 15" thick stone walls, strong slate roof and a roaring fire :ok:

ChrisVJ
18th Nov 2004, 23:31
Snow huh? Had our second dump of the year last night but it is a bit soggy today.
WB mountain just announced they will open this Saturday. Time to go and check out the skis.

steamchicken
18th Nov 2004, 23:40
Wishing I was back in the dales...I remember two years back, going up Great Whernside on the 2nd January in a covering of powder. Good hard blitz up to the top, back down in time for pints and pies.

Lon More
18th Nov 2004, 23:52
Is it the right or wrong sort of snow for the railways?

Reddo Must be the first time anything in Luton looked virginal

EHBK wet, cold and miserable

Avtrician
19th Nov 2004, 00:03
Snow???, cant remember what thats like.
Here its 18C and climbing slowly, crystal clear blue skies with no trace of cloud. Wind from the East about 5 -10 knots.

A beautiful day for riding the motor tredly, but I'm stuck at work.

A beaut weekend forcast as well.:ok: :ok: :E

Its great here in the west of oz:cool:

eastern wiseguy
19th Nov 2004, 01:05
Snowing here in BFS now ...and it snowed on me in DUB earlier...fortunately the other half is enjoying sunshine in ORD ....world has been flicked orf its' axis I think!!!

AerBabe
19th Nov 2004, 06:53
Thirty06 It's now headed of towards Aerbabe It never made it here. Or, if it did, it melted again PDQ. All we've got this morning is a heavy frost to scrape off the cars.

lasernigel
19th Nov 2004, 07:20
According to this mornings Telegraph it only snowed down South (as is usual for any event outside the norm!).So what's that white stuff on the top on Pendle Hill then??

Jelly Baby Freak
19th Nov 2004, 07:27
Snowed most of the night in hilly Leicestershire.
Then the power went off at 1845Z and didn't come back on
until 0155Z.
Car frozen to drive this am and covered with 8mm of snow
and the road was a frozen mess of ice and stuff!
Great driving on it at 10mph - NOT!:{

eal401
19th Nov 2004, 07:48
My car was also frozen to the drive this morning. Driver's side lock was frozen (a first), both doors were frozen shut, driver's side window was frozen shut! To top it all off, the windscreen was covered in thick frost on BOTH sides!!! :sad:

Took a while to get going I can tell you!

angels
19th Nov 2004, 07:50
I've just nipped out to get some gaspers and I swear the temperature has dropped a couple of degrees from when I first ventured out at 0520 zulu.

Real brass monkeys, but no sign of rain/snow here in the Smoke.

under_exposed
19th Nov 2004, 07:58
I have seen this on Pprune before but search failed to find it.

DIARY OF THE SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS.
August 12th

Moved to our new home in the highlands. I 'm so excited. It's beautiful here. The hills look so majestic can, hardly wait to see the snow. The garden's beautiful and there's loads of bunnies hopping around. Isn't nature wonderful?

October 14th

The Scottish Highlands. It's the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves have all turned hues of orange and red. Went for a drive in the beautiful valleys and saw some deer, they are such graceful beasts. They come down
low at this time of the year but are at risk from those cruel poachers. Can't imagine why anyone would want to kill them. They are certainly the most wonderful creatures on earth.

November 30th St Andrews Day

Got tickets for the ceilidh. Really getting into the place now. Can't wait for the snow. I love it here!
December 19th
Yes it's started snowing. The first real snow I've seen here. I took out some buttered scones and sat by the window watching the snowflakes drift down, clinging to the trees and covering the ground, and the wee rabbits
were skipping around and trying to dodge the flakes. It was so beautiful.

December 20th

Awoke to a lovely blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight. Looked like a Christmas card. Every tree and shrub covered with a white mantle. We went outside and had a snowball fight and
then energetically shovelled snow for the first time and loved it. I did both the driveway and pavement. Later the council's snowplough accidentally covered the driveway with compact snow from the street, but the driver
smiled and waved so I waved back and shovelled again. What a beautiful place. I love it.

December 21st

It snowed an additional 4 inches last night, the temperature dropped to minus 10. Several limbs on the trees and shrubs snapped due to the weight of the snow, and the rabbits are having to dig for their food. I shovelled the
driveway again, Shortly afterwards the snow plough man came by and did his trick again. Much of the snow is brownish grey. Blisters appearing on my hands due to the shovelling.

December 22nd

Warmed up during the day to create some slush and saw patches of grass, to reveal that the [email protected] rabbits have eaten all my bulbs. Slush soon turned to ice as the temperature dropped again. I bought some snow tyres for the
car. Fell on my arse on the frozen rabbit $hit in the driveway, 75 for the chiropractor, but nothing broken. #ucking vermin!!
More snow and ice forecast.

December 23rd

Bitterly cold. Sold the car and bought a 4x4 in order to get to work. Slid into some Armco crash barrier and inflicted some considerable damage to the right rear quarter of the 4x4. Don't know why they don't use more salt on the roads. Had another 5 inches of the white $hit last night. 4x4 covered in snow and slush, more shovelling in store for me today. That bloody snowplough came by twice today, BASTARD.

December 24th

Minus 15 degrees outside today. More #ucking snow, not a tree, shrub or bulb on the property that hasn't been damaged or eaten. Power was off most of the night, tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a paraffin
heater, which I tripped over and nearly burnt the bloody house down. I managed to put the flames out, but suffered second degree burns to my hands and lost all my eyebrows and eyelashes.

December 25th

Merry #ucking Christmas. That white $hit still keeps coming #ucking down! Have to put on all the clothes I have just to get to the post-box. If I ever get to that son of a bitch that drives that snowplough, I'll chew his
chest and rip his #ucking heart out. I think he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shovelling, then comes down the road about 100 miles an hour and buries our driveway again. Power still off, the toilet has frozen
over now, and part of the roof has started to cave in due to the weight of the snow. Weatherman has predicted another 6 inches of snow tonight. Do you know how many shovel fulls 6 inches is? #ucking weatherman was wrong; not 6 inches but 12 inches of the #ucking stuff fell last night. The snowplough got stuck up the road and the driver asked to borrow my shovel!! I wounded the arsehole with my ice pick, but the bastard got away. I can't move or feel my toes and there is more snow predicted. Wind chill factor of 32 #ucking degrees below.

December 30th

Finally got out of the house today, drove to the shops to get some supplies and on the way back, a dammed deer ran out in front of the 4X4, did about 3000 of damage. Those #ucking beasts should all be shot, the bastards
are everywhere. Wish the poachers had exterminated the lot in the autumn.

December 31st

Took the 4X4 to the garage, It'll be weeks before I get it back as they're closed for Hogmanay. Would you believe it, the bloody thing is rusted underneath from all that #ucking salt they put all over the roads.

SEE YOU SOON I'M COMING HOME.

flapsforty
19th Nov 2004, 08:05
What some of you lot need is a simple engine heater (http://www.calix.se/default.asp?parSprak=UK). It pre-heats your engine block and engine oil in cold weather, helping to minimize engine wear during cold starts. The cabin heater takes care of the frozen windscreen and the frozen doors and it gives you a nice warm car.
You folks on the Soggy Isle don't really need to live in the 1800s you know. :p

easy wiring diagram (http://www.auto-trio.no/data/f/0/00/33/7_2401_0/koblingsskjemagb.pdf)

gatfield
19th Nov 2004, 09:11
I haven't spotted any snow here lately. It's about 37 degrees today.
So nah, prolly wont.

Krystal n chips
19th Nov 2004, 09:27
It's those poor, confused, 4x4 drivers I feel sorry for in this inclement weather---imagine, having to actually move that lever --the one they always wondered what it's purpose was ! :D

steamchicken
19th Nov 2004, 12:52
There's an excellent reason why nothing in Luton looks "virginal" - how can it when it's all f*cked?

Jerricho
19th Nov 2004, 13:26
Had our second dump of the year last night but it is a bit soggy today

You tried getting more fibre in your diet. :E

allan907
19th Nov 2004, 15:14
Avtrician You lying toad! I was over at Rottnest today and definitely saw a cloud. It appeared at about 1230. Trip back was a bit bumpy as well.

ShyTorque
19th Nov 2004, 22:57
It wasn't much fun flying yesterday in that little lot. Trust me, I know.... :(

Avtrician
19th Nov 2004, 23:54
Allan,
Twas not a lie, there were no clouds on Friday at 0830 at Pearce.

If I look hard I can see some clouds over the hills to the East but nothing here in Joondalup.

Another perfect day in Paradise, currently 21C, wind from the East at about 10 Kts top temp expected 31C.:ok: :ok: :cool:

I dont think it will snow today.

allan907
20th Nov 2004, 00:00
Avtrician Kalbarri today then Monkey Mia for some beach time. Prolly won't snow but the wind might just rustle the palm leaves:ok:

DX Wombat
20th Nov 2004, 00:01
So it was you clattering around over the house this afternoon was it Allan? :* I'd be very wary if I were you about flying over here :uhoh: One's brother in law reckons you lot use his house as a waypoint :*and is contemplating installing a large cannon on top of the gazebo :uhoh: as a means of persuading you to fly elsewhere :E
I wouldn't worry about it though, not only will it be so big it will be visible from YPJT, he's a rotten shot too from what I have heard :E

GLS 62
20th Nov 2004, 00:44
Just checked the temps 72F at 1935cst. Right chilly last night down to 57F. MrsGLS62 is loking for her flannel nightie. Winter is in the air here.

twilightsglow
20th Nov 2004, 00:48
Not snowing here yet. It's more like spring :)

Jerricho
20th Nov 2004, 15:37
It's now 1037 local time here in Winterpeg.

The snow has just started. It begins......

Gainesy
20th Nov 2004, 15:40
Started here at 1400 local. Will be able to say we beat Winny the Pooh to winter.

Jerricho
20th Nov 2004, 15:47
Unfortunately Gainsey, that was a competition I was hoping we weren't going to win ;)

surely not
20th Nov 2004, 17:09
At Kent International at the moment and whilst it is effing cold, there is nil snow so far. I hope it stays that way for the drive back home :D

Big Hilly
20th Nov 2004, 18:17
Went for a stroll up on Box Hill in Dorking this afternoon and it was snowing like bu99ery. Some of it was even sticking with half and inch or so in places. . . ..

BH

Gainesy
21st Nov 2004, 11:54
I think Winny will win, Jerricoh, 'cos it stopped about 1830 and today there's no sign of it.

BRL
21st Nov 2004, 12:22
It snowed in Brighton yesterday afternoon for all of, say, three min's.......

West Coast
21st Nov 2004, 14:39
UNFREAKING BELIEVABLE!!!

Its snowing here in SOCAL, and I'm not talking about the mountains either, I live at about 1100 MSL. Never seen anything like this down this low. There are kids out having snowball fights (neocons in the making)
Many in the neighborhood are simply standing on the porch in disbelief.

OK, the novelty is wearing off, ready for the warm temps to return.

flapsforty
21st Nov 2004, 16:07
Climate change due to accelerated global warming due to lack of emission control anyone?
Nah, thought not. ;)

Jerricho
21st Nov 2004, 16:25
Ma'am Flappy, I know quite a few people in this part of the world that are praying for accelerated global warming ;)

tony draper
21st Nov 2004, 16:36
Been cold enough to testicular disadvantage a brass simian here but nary a drop of the white stuff.
Supposed to be warming up,one detects no sign of that yet.
Nature needs no help in the deep freeze dept Madam Flappy, and was doing it without the help of emissions from us talking monkeys when we were still none talking monkeys.

henry crun
21st Nov 2004, 18:57
Flappy, re global warming and emission control.

An article in my paper today says the ozone hole over Antartica this year is 20% smaller than last year.
The hole last year was a reduction on the peak of the year before.

But, heres the rub.
While the scientists blamed humans and CFC gases for the increase in the size of the hole, it seems we cannot take any credit for its reduction.

Why is that ? I hear you ask.
The answer is that the reduction is due to weather patterns which are not fully understood. :confused:

flapsforty
21st Nov 2004, 19:08
Dunno how much it is in the news where you guys live, but here in Norway we see it happening rather acutely.
The polar ice is melting at a very alarming rate, same goes for the gletschers (English word escapes me here) in Greenland. Consequences could be rather massive and it seems here as if the rest of the world is flippantly ignoring it.

The melting rate seems to accelerate anmd it worries the hell out of people here.

tony draper
21st Nov 2004, 19:33
Global warming is a industry and a business Mamasan, like all industries and businesses it exists to make money.
Very large chunks of rock lie about my bailywick, brung here from your back garden by a ice sheet one mile thick, that ice sheet advanced and retreated repeatedly over the last few million years, the earth warmed up again and that ice sheet buggad off back to Scadyhooligia but 13,000 years ago, without our help, and will prolly continue to advance and retreat long after we and all our works are but part of the fossil record.
It beehooves us to remember one good volcanic eruption can fling out more greenhouse gasses in a week than mankind has produced since we discovered fire.
Nobody knows if we are causing global warming, don't believe anybody that tells you any different, they have their own agenda.

flapsforty
21st Nov 2004, 21:54
Just remembered, those shrinking things in Greenland are called glaciers. :ok:
Drapes with all due respect for your GOM status and singelhandedly keeping this forum afloat against all odds, while your history is correct, your conclusions are a loada bollox me old chum.

Avtrician
22nd Nov 2004, 01:19
Not real convinced about the whole Global warming thing, but definitely no Glaciers ice or snow in Perth today, forcast top temp of 37C. Summer is just about upon us.

:cool:

Wino
22nd Nov 2004, 01:32
Don't forget ,

The carbon that we are burning has been in the atmosphere before it was trapped by dinosaurs and trees and sequestered, so it would seam we are really only returning the planet to a more natural state.

We are not creating more carbon. Just releasing carbon that had been here before. Seams like kind of a zero sum game to me when you stop and think about it. There is only so much carbon available to us, and we are sequestering great lots of it in garbage dumps as well...
Maybe we need MORE landfills. (actually I suspect that something along these lines will be the solution in the future if it really is a problem, great big Carbon landfills.)

Cheers
Wino

Jerricho
22nd Nov 2004, 02:27
Maybe we need MORE landfills

Yeah!!! And we should all get cars with 5.8 litre engines and stuff. Bring on the new world order ;) :ok:

BlueWolf
22nd Nov 2004, 07:45
Neither Carbon Dioxide nor Carbon Monoxide act as Greenhouse Gases. Both of them make the atmosphere more dense, and as such, should restrict the amount of reflected solar radiation able to escape back unto the void. However, both also increase the optical density of the atmosphere, restricting the amount of solar radiation which may enter in the first place. Their net effect is zero.

The single biggest contributor to increasing atmospheric temperatures is water vapour, and this, along with Carbon Dioxide, is increasing because of Global Warming, and is not the cause of it.

No-one is arguing the fact that temperatures are increasing, ice is melting, and sea levels are rising. But this has nothing to do with the emissions of insignificant Homo Sapiens. It is cyclical and has been going on for thousands of millenia.

This does not change the fact that we must reduce pollution, and work towards fuels which do not produce nasty emissions. But we can't blame them for the glaciers retreating; they were doing that anyway, like they did last time, and the time before, without our help.

If we want to be concerned about atmospheric carbon poisoning, we should worry about its effect on the ability of plants to receive enough sunlight to photosynthesize properly. This, all by itself, will kill us all. Natural, albeit slow cycle, temperature fluctuations won't do that, though they will adversely affect many coastal property values.

Hydrogen, people, can be our only saviour. Forget Global Warming. It isn't our fault, we can't change it, and it isn't the enemy.

But we need to get rid of pollution, and clear the skies again. Hydrogen. Think about it.

flapsforty
22nd Nov 2004, 07:52
Thinking hard.
About moving somewhere close to the equator.
Rotten white stuff coming down in droves. :*

Gainesy
22nd Nov 2004, 08:08
gletschers

The mind is a strange thing, I just read that, without thinking, as glaciers.:confused:

Never mind Flaps, its another day closer to Spring. (That's how I try to console myself, I hate winters).

Avtrician
22nd Nov 2004, 08:38
Well there are a few couds in the sky, no wind, and its still bloody hot (around 35C)

Please email some ice to put in front of the fan, and I will send a bucket (50Ltr) of heat in exchange.:hmm:

(Never satisfied are we):\

DirtyPierre
22nd Nov 2004, 21:52
Jerricho,

Couldn't resist but,

The weather here in Brisvegas is; after two days of light rain with temp in mid 20s C, fine sunny weather with strong southerly winds for next couple of days. Temp 28C. Surf is picking up from about 1/2 to 1 metre, to 1 1/2m to 2m. Water temp 21C.

This Saturday I'm off to Yamba NSW for 2 weeks of surf sun and ...well more surf with the family. My first bundy and coke at the Pacific Hotel overlooking the beach will be in your honour as you sit amongst the snow.

Catch a wave you'll be sitting on top of the world.

Jerricho
22nd Nov 2004, 22:18
Thanks DP.

The weather at the moment in Winterpeg is a follows:

CYWG 222200Z 30006KT 1SM R36/P6000FT/D -SN VV002 00/00 A2951 RMK SN8 SLP005

Enjoy the surf matey.

airship
22nd Nov 2004, 22:39
Well, one does one's best to ensure the ice trays are always full. A few cubes for the Scotch. And some spare for the Polar bear (hey, that rhymes!) in case he gets warm. One can only encourage others to do the same...

ElectroVlasic
22nd Nov 2004, 22:49
Technically speaking, glacier is a French word...

Most English mountaineering lingo, indeed even the word mountain, are French words. I've been told that due to the flatness of Ole Blighty there was no need for the natives to invent their own words...

--ev--

BlueWolf
23rd Nov 2004, 05:09
Why, in the name of everything sacred, would you adulterate your Scotch with ice ? :confused: :{ :\

Jerricho
23rd Nov 2004, 14:58
Who's doing WHAT to whisky?

redsnail
23rd Nov 2004, 17:19
Yep, the french have some great words.
Piste being a very accurate term to describe most folks attitude to snow sports.

Mr Chips
23rd Nov 2004, 17:38
Ice in your Scotch? Have you no heard what ice did to the titanic?
(Chips used to work in a pub frequented by Scots Guardsmen)

1DC
23rd Nov 2004, 17:55
Minus 26 in Ulan Bator at the moment, just hold the glass outside of the tent door for ten seconds, no ice required....

tony draper
23rd Nov 2004, 18:01
They don't have tents in Mongolia, they have Urts, or erts, mebee its eerts, anyway one knows this, one has read a book.