PDA

View Full Version : Flybe Con!

CaptJ
18th Nov 2004, 14:44
Well, its not long since Belfast's "Original Low-Cost airline" announced £9.95 each way fares from Belfast to "The Mainland" (don't shoot me please).

Now the minimum fares seem to have become £12 each way.

What a bunch of con artists!

Me and a mate are putting together a bid for the trade sale.
:E

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
18th Nov 2004, 15:23
I`m sorry I don`t understand what the problem is, all the loco airlines change fares based on the loads, the better the load the higher the fare that`s how they make their money.
Look at Easyjet or Ryanair they may advertise a fare of say £15 but as soon as the allocation goes the fares go up in stages and perhaps a couple of days before departure the fare maybe £150

£12.50 cross the Irish sea sound pretty good to me.

Golf India Bravo

Trislander
18th Nov 2004, 19:06
Capt J,

Get a life! Judging by all your pathetic comments regarding flybe you have made within the last fortnight, you must be very bored.

The airline industry is a huge, fast-paced, ever-changing business. What works one day might not be the best idea for the next. Surely you should know this.

You will probably find that the price of £9.99 each way was a limited period offer, i.e. book by midnight tuesday, for example. Then once the offer is over, guess what- the price goes back up. By a whole £2.

:rolleyes:

World Traveller
19th Nov 2004, 09:00
twelve quid and you're moaning? sounds good price to me.

WT
FlyBe Fan Club

ATNotts
19th Nov 2004, 09:24
Whats the problem.

We are constantly bombarded with retail cons, such as "half price sofas", "Free Child Places", cars sold at "trade prices". Even the LCCs give away "free flights" that for some reason see to require a credit or debit card to pay for!

Come on, the airline seat selling business is not that much different from retail. And retailers use whatever tools they have in their armoury to con the public.

So whats new?

CaptJ
19th Nov 2004, 11:28
Its not new and its still a CON.

The £9.95 flight price was all over the papers, all over hoardings and all over trucks being driven around Belfast.

Nice to see all the Flybe staff supporting sharp practice. What other sharp practice do you get up to that we don't see?

aeulad
19th Nov 2004, 11:31
CaptJ it would seem that you have something against Flybe. full stop. Are you a scorned ex-employee maybe? Were you refused a job with them? This runs deeper than you are letting on, thing is, we can all see it, so give up the bashing and be constructive.

Regards

Mike

aaaaa
19th Nov 2004, 12:10
I haven't seen this particular advert, but most of the time I believe the say 'from' in front of the figure otherwise they would get clobbered by the Trade's Description Act' or something.

I of course may be wrong in this instance

aa

CaptJ
19th Nov 2004, 14:36
Its not new and its still a CON.

The £9.95 flight price was all over the papers, all over hoardings and all over trucks being driven around Belfast.

Nice to see all the Flybe staff supporting sharp practice. What other sharp practice do you get up to that we don't see?

You guys are just PATHETIC.

I\'m not an ex-employee, scorned would-be employee....
No, I\'m just a CUSTOMER. Yes a CUSTOMER, one of those people thats pays your effing salaries.

Do you think we are all stupid?

Clearly so. You have the bare-faced effrontery to lecture on how airlines bookings sytems work.

If this is the attitude that flybe employees have you are all pretty much screwed.

Never, ever, believe your own propaganda

Otherwise Flybe is going to go down the tubes and we\'l all be the worse off !!!

aeulad
19th Nov 2004, 15:37
If you don't like it, you know what you can do CaptJ:E

Regards

Mike

I no longer work for Flybe. CaptJ, however, if I had the choice, I would rather not have abusive customers, who swear at me, as you seem to think is an okay thing to do. Please, for the sake of all Flybe. employees, fly with someone else.

Regards

Mike

Tower Ranger
20th Nov 2004, 09:47
Hi CaptJ,

As Public Enemy put it " don`t don`t don`t don`t don`t don`t, don`t believe the hype ".
I`ve just tried booking a £5 fare with Easyjet so you can imagine my horror when the charletons requested £11 rtn to Glasgow, thats 10% more than they advertise on their billboards and in last nights telegraph!!

Meanwhile back in the real world I, like most punters, just take the cheapest route so I regularly get out my road map, pack a flask and take a trip into the countryside to fly with the orange brigade.
However a couple of weeks back I booked a rtn to LPL next April and to my surprise Flybe were £20 cheaper for the two tickets so its worth shopping around. I even tried BA to Man but I won`t embarrass them by quoting their price!!

TimS
20th Nov 2004, 13:25
The original post receives the TImS Award for the dummest post of the year (and this award has some seious competition !).

Capt J - the vote to date runs 7:0 against (if I exclude your vote and mine).

Even if the rest of the 'voters' are "Flybe staff supporting sharp practice" I am not - what do I do for living ?

Primarily, these days, I help airlines develop fares strategies and reservations applications - which perhaps qualifies to me to express a point!

You appear to be offended that you were unable to obtain a fare at less than 20% (or GBP 2.05) above the entry level fare advertised - let me make two clear and undeniable statements:

1) There has never in the history of aviation been a successful 'single fare' scheduled airline

2) Any airline that offered a GBP 12 or GBP 9.95 fare across their complete capacity on a 45 minute sector (jet) would last days rather than weeks.

Your choice is simple - you are unwilling to spend more than the price of a few quick drinks in the local pub to sit in a multi-million pound machine, operating with the support of mega-million pound infratsructure, in a technologically complicated environment where professional employees (on the ground and in the air) work under pressure over long hours to provide you safe transport from one land mass to another - stay where you are or swim !

Perhaps the clue is in your 'monica' - a title that my collegues work for rather than assume !

Rant over - generally I am on the travelling public's side!

TimS

Trislander
20th Nov 2004, 15:29
Capt J,

I would particularly like to highlight both Tower Ranger and TimS posts to you.

Do you think we are all stupid?

It seems no one shares your thoughts so far, Capt J.edited for personal attacks

CaptJ
21st Nov 2004, 12:20
Trislander,

thank you for commending the previous.

It would have been niice had these estimable gentlemen had READ the post being responding with a load of irrelevent twaddle. Most of it trying to somehow demonstrate some great and in-depth knowledge of the airline industry.

My original post was specifically about the £9.95 advertisement campaign, which was misleading and has now been withdrawn.

I do recall that someone acutually directly posted the associated press release on here. (As in fact you are NOT supposed to do per forum rules)

No other airline indulges in this type of advertising. Not easyjet, not bmiBaby, not Jet2 not even Ryanair.

So you can all stop penning your pompous and irrelevent replies.

Seeing as you all seem to exhibit selective memory and selective reading. here is the misleading Flybe press release which I wish to post in support of my argument.

If I were them I\'d quietly remove it from the new Archive
:E

Air Price War: Flybe. says "Bring it on"
27th October 2004
FlyBE., Europe’s 3rd largest low cost airline, and the largest carrier at Belfast City Airport, has announced its lowest ever fares on services to London Gatwick, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle and Liverpool.

Effective immediately, the lowest one-way fare on the six routes including all tax and charges will be £9.99.
<snip>

:yuk:

World Traveller
21st Nov 2004, 13:59
CaptJ I am also not an employee, just a satisfied customer. A customer that is intelligent enough to read the word "lowest" in the press release as meaning "lowest" and not "only". So it may be "higher" than £9.99. FlyBe used the word "lowest" rather than "from". So what? Therefore the fare may be £9.99, and if it is, enjoy your flight, you got a bargain. If £12 is too much, stay at home, or try easyJet.

WT
Q400 Fan Club

aeulad
21st Nov 2004, 14:37
Your explanation CaptJ, does not excuse your behaviour aimed at Flybe. employees. It is not the topic of your thread that has upset people, but your responses and downright inapprporiate attitiude as a result.

Regards

Mike

rodan
21st Nov 2004, 14:52
the lowest one-way fare on the six routes including all tax and charges will be £9.99

Um..... I think the relevant word here is 'lowest'. Get a grip man.

ebenezer
21st Nov 2004, 15:29
Can anyone shed some light on the rumour that FlyBe is planning a SOU-style base at Southend that is dependant on the Airport extending its terminal and constructing a dedicated railway station on the adjacent Southend to London Liverpool Street railway line? The airport claims it'll bring Southend to within 48 minutes of London (still longer than Stansted's 45 mins, Gatwick's 30 minutes, Luton's 25 minutes and Heathrow's 15 minutes [to the Central Area]!!).

But if true, it could make air traffic control east and northeast of London rather challenging...

:hmm:

Tower Ranger
21st Nov 2004, 17:54
CaptJ
I think my previous post clearly illustrated that the £5 fare advertised by Ej is not available from Bfs.This apparently misleading advertising by another company was surely the reason for your original post. As for my post being "irrelevant twaddle" , Congratulations your sense of humour bypass operation was 100% successful!!
Have you ever met Allmcc?

Zlin526
21st Nov 2004, 18:05
CaptJ,

£12 each way to Belfast has to be a bargain. It's got to be the cheapest way there, even if it is £2 dearer!! Even cycling would cost you the price of the ferry trip....which 'aint going to be £12.00!

I suppose you're one of those types who complain about pennies, yet probably waste £100+ a month on beer n fags...

What a senseless waste of human life, and this thread should be binned forthwith..:yuk:

PS You wouldnt have a gripe with Flybe would you???

eastern wiseguy
21st Nov 2004, 19:04
Tower wrote

Have you ever met Allmcc?

it is almost like a carbon copy of him....he is suspiciously quiet these days ...do hope he is well!

Actually ages ago I was slagged off by the illustrious standard noise for pointing out that a FREE ticket from FlyBe into the docks was MORE expensive than a paid for from Easy(same route same times..almost) and the point I made was how much more was extracted in fees by the city operators to make it so. Plus ca change.....

Arkroyal
22nd Nov 2004, 06:01
CaptJ

It would appear that your inability to spot the word 'lowest' in the blurb you reproduced, might lead one to believe that YOU are the 'stupid' one around here.

As a pilot with a loco, I get ever more frustrated at my eroding terms and conditions and general lack of any kind of plannable life, so that folk like you can bitch about travelling in, as TimS, says a highly expensive mode of transport, for the price of a couple of packets of fags, or a small round of drinks.

edited for personal attack. H.

Tower Ranger
22nd Nov 2004, 14:21
Eastern, maybe thats because at your place only the unfortunate few have to pay landing fees!!

CaptJ
22nd Nov 2004, 16:01
Arkroyal,

I would be one of the first to support you against any sort of erosion of compensation for the very responsible job you carry out.

But again, like many others you miss the point. It's misleading advertising thats is creating these unrealistic expections.

I'm happy to pay a reasonable and realistic fare for any journey that I take. I value the occasional bargain as much as anyone. However I'm not so stupid as to realise that if we want a service, we need to pay a realistic fare to sustain that service.

FlyBe should never have announced a £9.95 starting fare that they were not going to (could not) sustain. Such advertising benefits no-one at all. I cannot fathom what the hell the marketing people at Flybe thought they were at. The only result has been to canibalise their own revenues ???

BTW As for pressure on employees. I could respectfully point out that there aren't many professions not subject to the same pressures. Except perhaps for lawyers :yuk:

Arkroyal
22nd Nov 2004, 16:21
I'd expect that at least one seat per flight was sold at the 'lowest' price, and after that they ramp up towards departure.

That is how Loco works, and if it appears misleading, (and I'll agree with you that it's not totally honest) then that's all part of the 'smoke and mirrors' required to fill the seats, mostly, we hope at an economic fare.

So what's a fair fare? At least 50 quid!

Lawyers? concur:=