PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants and pubs in Maidenhead

under_exposed
18th Nov 2004, 12:18
I am in Maidenhead for a week shortly, any recommendations?

tony draper
18th Nov 2004, 12:29
One often wonders how that place came to be so named.
:rolleyes:

c-bert
18th Nov 2004, 12:35
No matter how many connotations I come up with none of them seem particularly pleasant for the maiden in question. :ugh: :yuk: :oh:

Unwell_Raptor
18th Nov 2004, 12:40
Bray, just down the road, is a real Thameside gastro-village, with a number of serious restaurants. Michelin stars abound, but few places are cheap. Burchett's Green, just to the West of Maidenhead has the Crown, a nice pub/restaurant with the emphasis on the restaurant. Cookham is a short drive too, and has an excellent Tandoori as well as a number of restaurants of different types. We really are spoilt for choice in the Thames Valley.

Parapunter
18th Nov 2004, 12:42
UR, what's the fish restaurant in Bray called? Once went to a wedding lunch there & it was, as fatty Winner would say; Historic!:D

Whirlygig
18th Nov 2004, 12:42
Howzabout calling it a bash and posting it on that forum?

Live near(ish) but don't know it well enough to recommend anything.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Unwell_Raptor
18th Nov 2004, 12:49
pp:
I think it was The Fish.

For a traditional beamed pub doing traditional pub food, try The Kings Head, Litle Marlow. It's my local.

airship
18th Nov 2004, 13:09
Surely there must be a pub or restaurant called The Membrane? Worth a laugh going there I bet...

I'll get me coat...

The SSK
18th Nov 2004, 14:06
Despite all the very nice spots in the near vicinity, my impression of Maidenhead town - it's where I normally stay with pals on trips to England - is that it's a dump.

Been to loads of pubs and restos there, not one of them made any impression. Worst of all has been the decline in quality of Brakspears beer, which is not brewed in Henley any more.

Best is that it's a shortish train ride to Southall and curry heaven.

eleri5
18th Nov 2004, 14:19
Mama Rosa in Queen Street is quite good but there's a full list with reviews here: http://www.maidenhead.net/eat-drink/

eleri5

IB4138
18th Nov 2004, 19:01
Try Morrisons. Was owned by a mate of mine. Now run by his ex and her new bloke....the food had got even better last time I went!

tony draper
18th Nov 2004, 19:44
If yer want summat done do it yerself as they say.
here yer go.
:rolleyes:

In the 9th century, the Danes were said to have disembarked from their longboats at Maidenhead and fought their way through to Reading, which they subsequently made their base of operations. At this time, what is now, the centre of the town was known as South Ellington (possibly the origin Leland's Alaunodunum). It was when this little hamlet merged with the Maiden-hythe or "New Wharf", at the nearby Thames crossing that the name changed. The origins of the name are not quite that simple though. Hythe is usually accepted as Saxon for "Wharf", but there are many alternative explanations for the Maiden:

Maegdena: Maidens' (Saxon)
Moed: Timber (Saxon)
Mawr-Din: Great Fort (transposed Welsh Celtic)
Mai-Eadhainn: Great Cauldron (Gaelic Celtic)
Midden: Rubbish Dump (Norman)
Or the whole thing could be Welsh Celtic Ma-y-Din-Heth: Place of the Fort of Barley. If the name really is modern "maidens" then these would presumably be the nuns from nearby Cookham. It is supposed that any fort or cauldron shaped remains would have stood on Castle Hill. It was originally known as Folly Hill, perhaps indicating a tree covered earthwork.

Unwell_Raptor
18th Nov 2004, 20:41
Anyway - a PPrune PPint sounds good. Will anyone start a few possible dates?

under_exposed
19th Nov 2004, 08:08
I will be in Maidenhead from about 5pm Sunday. I will not have a car with me so it will not be easy to travel very far.
But if anybody fancies meeting up for a couple of pintsI will join in.

under_exposed
24th Nov 2004, 14:56
Anybody know what the Farrier in Cox Green is like?

airship
24th Nov 2004, 15:04
I have it on good authority that there is a cafe in a layby on the fringes of Maidenhead which is nicknamed Ye Olde Membrane. :O

Well, there damned well ought to be... :p

Standard Noise
24th Nov 2004, 22:16
Cookham's a grand place for a pint or two. Or even one in each pub, by which time, you won't remember having been hungry in the first place.
I remember 8 or 9 pubs from the Harvester at the bottom, up to the Railway Arms(?) at the station up at the top end of the village. And then a carry out from the Threshers at the station car park. Ah, those were the days......

The Swan Uppers used to do a nice nosh up as I recall.