PDA

View Full Version : Media Reform

ontrackfor
18th Nov 2004, 09:15
I think it's time to shake-up the news-media industry. Here's a couple of ideas.

1. When politicians appear on television, they must talk for at least 20 seconds but not more than 5 minutes. The numbers are arbitrary. This prevents them from brushing off an issue with a vague sound-bite or confusing/boring the viewer to disinterest.

2. Part of the issue or programme should be dedicated to compulsory follow up on earlier stories. This way we get to see how things pan out and makes editers/producers think twice before running some bs line. You could say 30% of content must be legitimate follow-up.

I don't have a problem with markets, in fact I quite like them. Problem is the news-media is too influental and too important to be left to market forces, I think.

Have you ever thought about this? Or is this as good as it gets?

Binoculars
18th Nov 2004, 09:26
they must talk for at least 20 seconds .....This prevents them from brushing off an issue with a vague sound-bite or confusing/boring the viewer to disinterest.

Hahahahahahahaha! You jest, of course? Any politician can talk for thirty minutes non-stop without saying a thing of importance or relevance. It's what they do. We should be aiming for shutting them up completely.

I'm reminded of Yes Minister;

JH: You're blithering, Bernard.
B: (miserably) Yes, Minister
JH: Why, Bernard?
B: It's my job, Minister.
:8