PDA

View Full Version : Night Low level

orionsbelt
17th Nov 2004, 22:26
Low level at night over Norfolk Villages

Hi Chaps, pleases do me a favour and stay clear of Necton in Norfolk.
One of your lot flew over the village at low level at 1830 this evening
Scared the living daylights out of my Mum and Dad, they are both 82.
It didn’t do me any good either.
They had the Dutch F16 nearly total the village a couple of years back.
Come on, its not exactly an isolated place!!!!!!
I know you have a tough job to do but a 10sec jink left/right will save a lot of nerves and maintain the respect all these folks have for you.

Please no reply wanted or expected

Divergent Phugoid!
18th Nov 2004, 00:05
What a daft post. (As daft as this one I guess) but really get a life!

Have you thought that the ten second jink left right might upset the 90 year old on that track?

I thought this type of thread would have been made by a non flying type, it looks like I was wrong!

Maybe there should be a thread where we can get all anti flying types to post their co-ordinates so we can all by-pass them...

:E :E :E

Oh, and we had a Tornado nearly total our village a couple of years ago because one of your lot in a C150 was not adhering to rule 5 and was in collision with the Tornado at the cost of four lives!

Red Line Entry
18th Nov 2004, 07:00
Fishing for a transfer into Public Relations, Divergent?

OK, for a CPL, Orionsbelt is clearly being a little naive but we could do without another civvy/mil slanging thread.

Orion, simply put, we can't avoid every house with OAPs. Furthermore, can you imagine what would happen to this forum if we gave you a reply saying "Sure, no problem mate" - every old biddy in the UK would be logging on with their house lat and long!!!

(Although Beagle might be happy - he'd meet more women of his own age)

(edited for sp)

BEagle
18th Nov 2004, 07:49
Libellous barsteward!

1830 is hardly late at night and the nearby proximity of Marham should reasonably indicate that FJ aircraft are likely to be in the vicinity....

However, there's a difference between essential low flying and unneccesary low flying. I find it hard to believe that anything other than essential low flying goes on these days. Unlike in the early 80s when an idiot led 3 F4s at low level from the North Sea to Wattisham at about 2100, causing scores of rightfully indignant complaints.

At least the aircraft didn't have red stars on them - and just think why, orionsbelt.

elderforest
18th Nov 2004, 11:24
Good job orionsbelt wasn't concerned about the two B-52's circling overhead inbound Holbeach . . . :*

BEags - could be worse, they could have Goldstars on them !!!
Head down waiting for 31 backlash . . . .

BEagle
18th Nov 2004, 11:54
Not all you might get from 31, IIRC.....

Although that was back in Jaguar days. Allegedly..:E

orionsbelt
18th Nov 2004, 12:39
Oh dear So here we go,

BEags

'At least the aircraft didn't have red stars on them - and just think why'

More to the point Old mate you now don’t speak German because of what these people did 60 years ago. My father flew 45 Ops from 1943 to 45, how many have you done Beags?

Further I did 15 years service and watched you lot have a ball of a time defending the U.K. Read your own threds.
Nato beer calls and god knows how many other excuses for a PU.
Yea the cold war was really tough!!!!!. I did Fire picket, Special safety team, Cordon party, Duty fitter, Key Orderly, Duty crew and QRA and Foot and mouth clean up in 1967 plus my day job. Different airforce to one you were in mate! (note one great big chip on shoulder)

Also elderforest think we might have every right to be concerned given the B52 performance at Farnborough this year,
The Tornado display at Clacton or was it Frinton, Walton or was it just Essex! and the F16 incident that deposited itself in the field next to Necton a few years back after the crew jumped out and it free flew around Norfork for 5 Minutes

I support the RAF as do my Parents we aren’t knocking you, we care about the dangers you face from both the jobs you have to do and the horrid limitation that are placed on you.

However I just don’t want my folks to be scared whitless by low flying aircraft. They have done there bit, give then the peace they deserve PLEASE!

ZH875
18th Nov 2004, 12:44
Send the low flyers over to my location, all (except Red Arrows) will be most welcome, anytime, any height.

Military Jet (& Prop) noise - The Sound Of Freedom.

Mr C Hinecap
18th Nov 2004, 12:59
Come on, chaps! After all, the AA tells me that to drive from Necton to Marham is 16 miles. Low flying in the vicinity of an airfield? Shocking! You'll be telling me that sort of practice assists in the landing and taking off of aircraft next! :E

rivetjoint
18th Nov 2004, 13:19
Oh dear, I look forward to reading BEag's reply in just what his contribution to the defence of the nation was over the years, it's going to be an interesting read, all those stories of chasing off Bears...!

Also judging by your comment, you understanding of what the B-52 at Farnborough did is obviously wrong, it's just more fun to blame the aircrew.

ZH875
18th Nov 2004, 13:34
Please no reply wanted or expected

Oh Really!!

BEagle
18th Nov 2004, 14:36
Cold war nuclear deterrence, cold war UK QRA (30 Bears) - plus 34 operational sorties in GW1 (the one where they fired Scuds at us) since you ask. And you?

Like many people of my g-g-generation. Who don't need to make an issue of it as it was entirely routine work.

As I said, trying to avoid every village in Norfolk at 1830 is hardly likely to be possible. Especially those close to an active military aerodrome.

Vage Rot
18th Nov 2004, 15:55
Perhaps you'd like to give us the lat/Long Orion old chap. Could stick it in our collective nav kit(s) and do our very best.

:O :ok:

althenick
18th Nov 2004, 16:12
As I said, trying to avoid every village in Norfolk at 1830 is hardly likely to be possible. Especially those close to an active military aerodrome.

...Maybe not now, but during the Sixties when Lossie was dark blue, the Actor James Robertson Justice successfully managed to get the CO at lossie to get the FAA to stop flying directly over the town and extend the circuit out by a few miles. It improved RN-Local relations no end.

Grimweasel
18th Nov 2004, 16:31
Vage Rot...

Just check out orionsbelt location...he's only gone and given us his LAT/LONG(he he.)..let the flypasts ensue!!!!!!

Cambridge Crash
18th Nov 2004, 17:05
I am a weekend commuter to the Lake District and there is a constant stream of military aircraft flying at low level around the fells. Being an avaition-minded sort of chap, I quite like these thingies. Happened upon a local (actually our plumber - salt of the earth, reliable sort of chap) and I asked him what he thought of the aircraft. His reply was to the effect: 'I dunno; never really noticed them.'

Now, when surveying the local papers I note that they are bulging with letters of complaint about military aircraft transgressing the National Park. The supplied addresses are revealing - all visitors. Note to self: Must remind them that the yellow helos that lift them off the fells are also military aircraft.

Point of this diatribe - well, very little. However - Orion's Belt - if you don't like something, why not petition your local MP? After all, it worked for fox-hunting...

STANDTO
18th Nov 2004, 17:23
.............or move house?

ACW599
18th Nov 2004, 17:51
Gentlemen aircrew:

Please enter 52N43.42 002W59.53 into your nav kits and do your worst. (I know we're in LFA9 and it's a DUA but you can always talk nicely to Shawbury). The lower and faster the better. Don't swipe my antennas though; the one on the lattice tower is 60ft agl.

John

Pontius Navigator
18th Nov 2004, 17:54
Grimeweasel, by all means feel free to low fly over Orion's house. You might get a surprise the next day.

Read his post, he was not complaining about low flying over HIS house. Moving is not relevant for him and YOU would have your aged Ps moving house in their 80s? Really?

Times change and the sound of freedom should be more like a distant drum <VBG>.

OB, c PM, PN

jimgriff
18th Nov 2004, 18:22
All you low flying chaps and chappeses are very welcome to fly over here any time night or day. Come to think of it you do anyway. Great to see and hear you all!!
Better still arange for me to come on a fact finding trip with you and it would be even better. (HINT HINT)

rivetjoint
18th Nov 2004, 18:44
Indeed the more low flying the better, keep up the good work!
It's about time we had an E-3 go over us though....

Vage Rot
18th Nov 2004, 19:25
Grimweasel - the lat long is just South of the Stock Road/Margaretting Road Junction in Galleywood, South of Chelmsford (Public Domain so not giving anything away here!!)

As such, it's nowhere near Necton, and, more's the pity, it's in a built up area!!:=

Still, 1/4 mile down the side of said estate is fair game!!!:ok:

P155 taking aside, we can't avoid every isolated house or small settlement as to do so would put us over the top of another. However, we do try to change routes so that the disturbance is spread around and not concentrated over the same point - unless you paint 'p155 off Biggles' on the roof - and then you're fair game!!

Actually, I wonder if the council will divert all the traffic off the main road that my house is on - it disturbs my sleep- it's a bu99er trying to sleep before that night low-level sortie!!

Grimweasel
18th Nov 2004, 19:42
Indeed, but as my family live in Ashill (the next village south of Necton) that has a large obvious church their house is always being waxed and has done for as long as I care to remember. Thats what got me into aviation in the first place! Look on it as recruiting! Living in Norfolk near a few major airfields and large military training area has always seen one subjected to large volumes of air traffic and distruption. Its a fact of life that many locals have taken in their stride for years. If thats the price of enduring freedom then so be it....and a very small price at that!!

Razor61
19th Nov 2004, 00:44
Well....:mad:

Come and buzz me anytime, at any altitude, preferably as low as you can.
Town of Tiverton, Devon...on the edge of OTA-H, spot a hill with a small radio shack on top (with mast), my favourite for good photographs just west of the town, 788ft high...more info if you want it.

A few weeks ago...BOBCAT (Hawks from Valley) made a pass with 4 in the flight, as low as they could go circling for some fun, with two backseaters waving... awesome fun to watch when out walking the dog...then recovering to St Mawgan.

As for Norfolk, when living in Kings Lynn, we had Tonkas over the top quite low every night enroute the North Sea and Newcastle with reheat... so what?
On the outskirts, where i lived (eastern edge near the hospital) we had Tonkas as low as they could go in that area, blasting Sandringham (was that purpose or are they restricted in reality??) on the way out to the N.Sea and Wash near Hunstanton. If it was not Tonkas, it was F-15 Eagles!

I'm up for anymore photos if anyone is willing to contact me privately on a date!

"Sound of Freedom" Too Right!

Razor

PH98
19th Nov 2004, 01:17
I grew up in the lakes and most of the people that complain are not from the area. They tend to move in and complain about Sellafied/Low flying but if they had done any sort of research they would have known what went on before they arrived. Most of the people that I know actually like FJ's flying over their house but you never hear about that, 'cos all you hear are the comlpaints.

STANDTO
19th Nov 2004, 16:17
There are few more breathtaking sights than a fast jet at low level, especially when it is unexpected. I will always remember looking into the cockpit of an inverted Jaguar as it romped over the road along the side of Warcop. It was then I knew that was the job I was born to do.

Looks like i'm gonna die unhappy then! :p

airborne_artist
19th Nov 2004, 17:02
The residents of Benson and Wallingford are forever mumping about the (in my opinion) fairly low amounts of night/low flying from EGUB.

I wouldn't mind if it was only those who moved to the area pre-1937..... can't the rest of them read a map, or spot the signs to the place?

A guy I know, very laid-back, moved into South Stoke (3 mile S) on the day of a Benson Air/Families day - he was a bit surprised at the amount of LL traffic, finishing with the Arrows, but very happy to be told it was just once a year.

alfaman100
19th Nov 2004, 19:49
Benson residents are extreme... we used to get noise complaints about our Grob 109s when 612 VGS was resident....

jimgriff
19th Nov 2004, 22:04
Here are some pics to show what goes on in my neck of the woods..

http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/jim5.jpg

http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/jim7.jpg

http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/jim8.jpg

http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/jim9.jpg

http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/jim10.jpg

http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/jim11.jpg

http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/jim1.jpg

Photographer is a neighbour of mine and a good friend. Commissions taken.

And another two I like. Photographer of F3 unknown.

http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/hawk.jpg

http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/f3_cockpit_13june.jpg

BEagle
20th Nov 2004, 07:56
A shame you weren't about when we used to overbank the mighty Vulcan at 300 ft after 'attacking' Catcleugh reservoir to avoid going outside the infamous low level link route.....:ok:

delta96
20th Nov 2004, 14:37
How much warning did you get of the approach of those FJ's? Many DSLRs need a few seconds to start up.:(

buoy15
20th Nov 2004, 16:00
Give me 5 minutes chaps
I'm searching thro' my library for a copy of Bradshaw's, but I'm not sure when it was last amended.:confused:

PH98
20th Nov 2004, 23:16
jimgriff,

Are all the photos taken from the same place because they're quite varied. PM me the guy's address if you wouldn't mind. Wouldn't mind getting a couple of copies.

STANDTO
21st Nov 2004, 08:59
I think the F3 is one of Andrew Brook's. Had a PM from him a few weeks back. Thought he had gone to Biltong Land full time but apparently not!

Used to like seeing some of his LL shots on this forum. :ok:

Scud-U-Like
21st Nov 2004, 13:33
althenick

Perhaps James Robertson Justice (fine actor IMHO) gave the CO his trademark,"YOU BLITHERING IDIOT!"

JRJ was a very accomplished falconer and I imagine his request for an avoid was related to that activity, rather than to any luvvie's fit. His falconer's daughter now runs the National Birds of Prey Centre, which, incidentally, has its own LF avoidance area. His legacy to military low flying lives on!

jimgriff
21st Nov 2004, 16:08
All the pics were taken in Wild West Wales.

Anyone want to commission a pic or get decent copies contact Iwan Davies on :

[email protected]

Tell him that Jim sent you!! No, I'm not on commission.

jimgriff
22nd Nov 2004, 21:11
I also have some nice LL vids if anyone is interested.

maxburner
23rd Nov 2004, 08:18
Jimgriff,

TOP F3 picture. Brought a tear to my eye and some great memories. Thanks for posting it.