PDA

View Full Version : Dial-Up On The (Laptop) Move (UK) When Away From Broadband Base

BLUE SKY THINKER
17th Nov 2004, 17:34
Subscribe to Broadband - and until recently - many ISP's were happy to provide 'no charge' dial-up when 'on the move'. .....Not now, apparently; most charge 'local rates'.

Is there a better option than this; i.e., an ISP that does, ...or (because I am keen to sign up with a specific Broadband ISP) a more economical separate dial-up package for spasmodic use 'on the move'?

Thanks, in anticipation.

Memetic
17th Nov 2004, 20:09
I'll PM you one. As the company concerned has a good free (i.e. 0845 service) but i'd rather not accidentally encourage use of thier domain registration services.

Update - I would PM you but you seem to have private Messages switched off in your profile....:D

BLUE SKY THINKER
17th Nov 2004, 20:14
Memetic.....

So it is!

It's on now; grateful for the info.; ta.

BST

Memetic
17th Nov 2004, 20:30
Sent... :O

Some extra characters

BLUE SKY THINKER
17th Nov 2004, 20:57
Memetic.....

Thanks.

But to avoid confusion, 0845 is not a freephone number.

Memetic
18th Nov 2004, 11:26
Agreed, that's what I was trying to imply by higlighting it as 0845, the internet access is provided for the cost of the call. The ISP will actually get a maximum of about 1 pence per minute from the call.

Anyway does it work ok?:O

BLUE SKY THINKER
19th Nov 2004, 08:00
Memetic.....

Away at the moment; will try it when I get back to my own laptop.

Thanks again.

Captain Sensible
19th Nov 2004, 08:29
I use AOL for monthly subscription of 5.95 pounds + a little extra for time spent on net. works in loads of countries as long as there is AOL dial-up there. Through the credit card.

BOAC
19th Nov 2004, 10:16
BST - have a look at item 2 on the top sticky here.