PDA

View Full Version : MD-80 Pillows

lead zeppelin
17th Nov 2004, 16:58
American Airlines Removes MD-80 Pillows

Wed Nov 17, 8:15 AM ET Business - AP

FORT WORTH, Texas - Say goodbye to pillows on American Airlines MD-80 jets.

The Fort Worth-based airline this week removed pillows from its 334 MD-80s in a move expected to save time and money by enabling workers to clean the cabins faster, said spokesman Tim Wagner.

"It will streamline our cabin service," he said.

Since crews won't be spending time picking up pillows, they should be able to make cabins cleaner, Wagner told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram for a story in Wednesday's editions.

Wagner estimated the airline would be saving "in the mid-six figures" because of the move.

The pillows will be relocated to its other planes, Wagner said. The airline doesn't plan to remove pillows on other aircraft.

MD-80 passengers should be able to use the adjustable headrests in place of the pillows, he said.

American has 704 planes. The MD-80s are used for shorter slights and are assigned to its hubs at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and O'Hare Airport in Chicago.

American Airlines Removes MD-80 Pillows

eal401
18th Nov 2004, 08:15
As someone who is 6' 4" I can safely say that a pillow in economy class is an utter waste of time. For me anyway! ;)

BEagle
18th Nov 2004, 10:51
But what will the stewards have to bite now?

Sorry!

WHBM
18th Nov 2004, 10:53
Wonder if 130 pillows saved will equal one extra passenger on weight-critical sectors !

ALLMCC
18th Nov 2004, 12:24
Let's just hope MOL doesn't see this!!!

WHBM
29th Nov 2004, 21:06
Is it not part of the emergency landing procedure that pillows and (where available) blankets are distributed and pax instructed in how to place them to aid cushioning in the brace position.

Presumably there has therefore been a safety assessment of the removal of these (which somehow seems to have escaped the AA press release).

bafanguy
29th Nov 2004, 22:05
All it will do is reduce the number of cases of head lice.

DocJacko
1st Dec 2004, 21:02
I like to use those pillows as a lumbar support, so I will miss them.

bafanguy
1st Dec 2004, 23:20
Doc,

OK...lumbar lice...you're still better off...