PDA

View Full Version : Virgin to hit business class

Wirraway
17th Nov 2004, 15:18
Thurs "The Australian"

Virgin to hit business class
By Steve Creedy
November 18, 2004

VIRGIN Blue business passengers and those on busy routes face fare increases as the airline tries to improve the profitability of its flights.

The airline has already raised some of its most expensive fares by as much as $40 one-way and has indicated more rises are on the way.

Virgin had capped prices as it significantly boosted capacity to cater for its rapid growth and, more recently, to shore up its market against the launch of Qantas low-cost offshoot Jetstar.

But with growth tailing off and the market absorbing the increased capacity, executives are now looking at ways of boosting profit margins.

Virgin chief executive chief executive Brett Godfrey said yesterday a wide-ranging review was looking at which routes could sustain higher prices.

He said it was fair to say these would be business routes, where demand was less elastic, rather than price-sensitive leisure routes.

"In the last three months we've been going through route by route, probably flight by flight, to see where we can play around to try and extract a greater yield premium," he said.

Business passengers make up about 40 per cent of Virgin's customer base, but the percentage is higher on busy routes such as those linking Sydney. Although the cost of lead-in leisure fares have dropped by about $10, Virgin has already increased flexible fares on its busiest flights from $199 to $239.

"The idea is to maximise the profitability of the aeroplane and I will say that if we get the chance to charge more on a business-related flight or peak, we'll do that," Mr Godfrey said.

"It encourages people who do need cheap fares to travel on a Tuesday or Wednesday or the after-hours flights."

However, Mr Godfrey said travellers would continue to see $39 fares as Jetstar and Virgin vie for leisure passengers. The Virgin review comes as the airline warned yesterday it faces an uncertain second-half as it battles factors such as rising fuel prices and increased competition from Jetstar.

The airline's first-half net profit fell slightly to $63 million despite a 39 per cent jump in passenger numbers to 6.2 million.

==========================================

The_Cutest_of_Borg
17th Nov 2004, 20:43
To my unschooled eye, VB need to move away from their current business model. The model was right when they were going up against the AN/QF duopoly, now it is less relevant.

I would suggest bigger aeroplanes would be a step in the right direction, but then what would I know?

Tagneah
17th Nov 2004, 20:51
I've got an Idea!!

How about we make them buy their cheap seat at least 3 weeks before they want to travel, and make them stay away at least 3 days or 1 saturday night.

I think Borg's hit the nail on the head with the bigger jets though.

Tag

rescue 1
18th Nov 2004, 06:23
VB are in the same position as QF were prior to the Jetstar launch - ie a hybrid value carrier. Well done Mr Dickson.

With the launch of inflight entertainment, blue rooms, Tasman expansion, disengaged staff and airfares at the same cost of QF with full service, no wonder yields are down.

They moved from the original course and now they are seeing the results.

Throwing capacity on an already saturated market won't fix it - wind back the clock and take a hard look at the original whiteboard!!

hoss
18th Nov 2004, 09:12
Whiteboard???? Wasn't it the back of a beer coaster:) .

TIMMEEEE
19th Nov 2004, 07:36
I agree absolutely that the original business model has been tainted.

These days the king of the strikebreakers is a large shareholder and he basically calls the shots.
Not a bad thing entirely but VB is starting to see their yields fall and their effective cost base increase incrementally - not the desired effect of a lower-cost carrier.

I also agree that the games have only just begun.

HGW
19th Nov 2004, 07:50
My prediction for VB:

Pacific Blue rebadged as Virgin Pacific owned by VB, VS & SQ operating A340-300 around the Pacific and as far as US and Asia. Aircraft configured as two class, Premium Economy and Economy.

Use Virgin Pacific aircraft (A340-300) on main domestic business routes at key travel times then go on to Intl flights as Virgin Pacifc.

Reconfigure VB fleet into two class as per Virgin Pacific. First 5 or so rows as Premium Economy to attract more business travellers. Seats sold at lower than current Business Class seats.

Set up an Airbus engineering facility at SYD for A340 - oops, all ready under way for VS. Over half and up to three quarter of VB engineers are Airbus licensed.

Any thoughts on this. I believe there are not many choices as the model is being over run and has to be altered to suit the market. As I have said before - Ansett is back.

Eastwest Loco
19th Nov 2004, 08:50
Hmmmm - really all they need really do is shut down availability of deeper discounts on prime flights one week out as QF are currently doing on City Flyer routes, and in some cases their yield management already appears to be doing this.

As for an A340 running domestic Prime Time, great in theory, and killing a bug with a nuclear weapon. The type is no way suited to short haul, and the cyclic costs would make it expensive on a seat kilometre basis.

Bigger aeroplanes also erode the cost savings of a one type fleet, with requirements for multi endorsement,duplication of engineering endorsements, and spares requirements.

Dragging an aeroplane across SYD off International onto domestic also wastes valueable time and resources and what sort of a mess would you find yourself in if the big lady cacks herself in HKG inbound and you are left with 1200+ passengers to try and accommodate them on other services.

Just my 2 bob's worth.

Best all

EWL

HGW
19th Nov 2004, 09:11
Has any other airline used aircraft in this way. Dom flight then Intl flight. I can think of Malaysian and United wanted to.
Any others.

chockchucker
19th Nov 2004, 09:27
Ansett regularly used domestic 767's to operate to Bali.

Aircraft was operated domestically during the week up until Saturday Afternnoon (just after lunch). After arriving in SYD (usually from MEL or BNE) the aircraft would be reconfigured for international ops and towed to the international terminal before heading off to DPS.

After returning to SYD on Sunday morning, the aircraft would be towed over to the domestic and reconfigured for domestic ops before departing later that morning.

Eastwest Loco
19th Nov 2004, 09:33
East West regulary used the Norfolk Island F28 and subsequently the 146 on domestic/international interchange.

It was usually the EW74 HBA DPO SYD aeroplane that was then reconfigged (liferafts) for the NLK service while another didthe SYD OOL BNE CNS run and the same in reverse. Numerous delays were cause by late return from the International Terminal.

regards

EWL

Buster Hyman
19th Nov 2004, 10:27
Ah yes, the F28 MEL-SYD-NLK run!:rolleyes: Nothing more embarrassing than taking the loadsheet to an F28 parked between two 747's!!!:O

So, if they use Domestic aircraft on Intl runs they have 2 options.
1. Tow the aircraft.
2. Rebuild their terminal to be able to reconfigure the building for Customs & Quarantine. Then pay exorbitant amounts for having staff from the aforementioned Govt. Depts. coming to your terminal.

And the winner is....:rolleyes:

HGW
19th Nov 2004, 10:42
I would think towing is no drama. It is the same as bringing an aircraft back from any of the parking bays used at SYD which are all very far from the terminals.

As for going u/s in HKG it doesn't matter where it conks out it still stuff's you up if it is meant to be somewhere else.

I am predicting within a year major changes. Throw in a regional jet operation also.