PDA

View Full Version : How to connect laptop to PC?

jafo33
17th Nov 2004, 14:39
This has probably been done before but can anyone solve this for me?

I have just bought a Sony Vaio laptop (see my previous search!) and am trying to transfer files from my desktop to it via a network cable and LAN cards.

Both PC cards seem enabled but I don't know how to access one from the other. I've tried wading through the 'help' files but end up more confused!

Can anyone explain the simple way of doing this?

seacue
17th Nov 2004, 15:55
I presume that you are using a "cross over" Ethernet network cable. That's the kind with the transmit pins at one end connected to the receive pins at the other and vv. You don't need a hub/switch/etc using such a cable.

I'm not the right person to ask about software settings, since I still use the trail-and-error method of setup :{

sc

jafo33
17th Nov 2004, 16:02
Yep, I have a crossover lead connected. Any other idea's?

Should I see anything under 'Network Connections' or Network Places'?

Memetic
17th Nov 2004, 16:07
If you can let the masses here know what operating system is on each machine. e.g. XP home, XP pro, win 98 se etc. and how you propose to connect them then i'm sure one of us will point you in the right direction.

If you have XP on both machines and the right network cable there is a wizard to do the job for you...

If you can let the masses here know what operating system is on each machine. e.g. XP home, XP pro, win 98 se etc. and how you propose to connect them then i\'m sure one of us will point you in the right direction.

If you have XP on both machines and the right network cable there is a wizard to do the job for you, have a look on the control panel for network connections, in there you should find a button for New Connection.

Regards

Memetic

joe2812
17th Nov 2004, 16:25
I'm looking at networking my laptop up to my PC, both on Win XP (one Pro and one Home Ed.). Is it an Ethernet cable i'll need or something else?

jafo33
17th Nov 2004, 20:40
Sorry! I have XP on both machines.

They are connected via a Crossover LAN cable inot the LNA cards.

Both machines say the connection is working but I do not know how to actually acces one machine form the other.

FJJP
17th Nov 2004, 20:59
Have you made the hard disks on both computers 'shared'?

jafo33
18th Nov 2004, 09:18
ok that seems to help as i am now getting a message saying it is connected. However the laptop is telling me that the card on it is geting limited or no connectivity and wants to repair the ip address??

When i try this it can't do it!

Memetic
18th Nov 2004, 10:09
Try changing the network settings on each machine to manually set an IP address (Turn off DHCP) - you may need to set up another profile or switch this back on to get the PC's to play nicley on other networks you use.

Then set one to say, 192.168.1.10 and the other to 192.168.1.11

If it asks about subnet's accept the default 255.255.255.0

Reboot and it should work.

Best rgeards

Memetic.

HughMartin
18th Nov 2004, 16:50
Try disabling your firewall. Later, once you have got everything up and running, you can reconfigure it to allow your machines to talk to each other but exlude illegal access.

jafo33
22nd Nov 2004, 12:17
Memetic,

Where can I change these IP addresses?

longarm
4th Dec 2004, 08:58
Get yourself a wireless router and have a wireless network. You can then browse the internet whillst sitting in the garden or whilst in bed. Just bought one myself so will hopefully be up and running when you're around.