PDA

View Full Version : My new 'spare' PC...

timmcat
17th Nov 2004, 12:44
Following the demise of the 'spare' computer a few weeks ago (discussed in here), I have managed to aquire another base unit which was being disposed of. Seems to be a 1.2ghz celeron, 128mb ram, 20gig HD and a TNT 32mb vid card. Not bad for free!

Decided to do a fdisk / format/ full install of win98SE. All going well except for two problems.

1: I got hold of the latest W98 drivers for the TNT card, but, after installation, the machine either fails to boot, or comes up with a window which says that the 'hardware may not be compatible with the settings you have chosen' - it is irrelevant whether I have changed it from 256 colours, or increased the resolution, or no changes at all.

2: I have put a different modem in and loaded the drivers, however the PC cannot find the modem. Whats worrying is that it is only looking on COM 1 and 2, not trying COM3 where I would expect to find it. I have read somewhere today that removing the modem, booting, shutting down, refitting the modem and booting might do the trick and sort out the IRQ's etc., so I may well give that a try unless others sugest otherwise.

Any tips?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Nov 2004, 13:22
timmcat,

First off list all your IRQs and every Device on each IRQ.

Then we will look at setting the IRQs and Comm Ports. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

timmcat
17th Nov 2004, 21:40
Thanks Richard, but I seem to have sorted it.

The modem fix worked, and uninstalling the Detonator drivers and replacing them with an earlier version (thanks Guru3d (http://www.guru3d.com) ) :) has got the card working a treat.
Just got to find the drivers for the onboard sound now and it's all done!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Nov 2004, 22:40
timmcat,

That is great news. Glad to hear you are all set. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard