PDA

View Full Version : A memorial for Holly Smith

fulmar
17th Nov 2004, 05:47
Many of you may recall the tragic events of August 2002 when a young pilot, Holly Smith, was killed in a mid-air collision at Moorabbin Airport. Many messages of condolence and support were posted on Pprune and her family was very appreciative of the sentiments.

At the time a number of posters wondered if some lasting memorial could be made for this young aviator. Well, after a lot of thought and bureaucratic effort a suitable solution has been found. With the support of her family the former Link Road in the central area of Moorabbin Airport has been renamed “Holly Smith Avenue” and if you look in the 2005 edition of Melway (87 F4 and page 721) you will see the entry. Our thoughts were that a street endures for very many years and will stay as a reminder of her. A small plaque detailing the reasons for this street name will be placed at some stage in the future. Our thanks once again for the support of the contributors to Pprune.

Phil McConnell
General Manager Aviation
Moorabbin Airport

GearOff
17th Nov 2004, 06:26
Phil,

It's great to see someone in your position taking it upon yourself to see something like this through to fruition. I'm sure Holly's family are most appreciative of your effort, and certainly myself and anyone else who knew her would feel the same way.

The places I used to see her have never been quite the same since her passing - it's nice to know she'll be remembered.

Woomera
17th Nov 2004, 19:37
Well done Phil!

I've stickied this thread for the attention of others.

It's refreshing for this moderator to see something good come out of D&G for once.

Woomera Eastern States

Rogeramjet181
18th Nov 2004, 09:04
Excellent, well done

Utradar
22nd Nov 2004, 07:31
Phil,

Excellent news!
I did not know Holly personally but knew the guys that were associated with her. It is great to see something done to remember her by.
Very honourable.

Walrus 7
23rd Nov 2004, 01:46
I cannot commend MAC enough for doing this. I noticed the change in street name last time I was at MB and thought it was a fantastic gesture.

Walrus

echelonq
23rd Nov 2004, 09:03
Hi Guys,
Taking the time to Thank Phil for taking the initiative to commemorate such a beautiful aviator. I am sure all her fellow friends from Sydney will appreciate the memorial for such a great person. I am also proud to admit that she is still dearly missed by the pupils who she trained with at Aerospace Aviation and the University Of Western Sydney.
"Hols and Mary must be having the flight of their lives up there in heaven together".