PDA

View Full Version : Flying In Cyprus....jar Fcl But No Mutual Recognition?????

scottwarnick
17th Nov 2004, 00:15
Cyprus is a full JAA member state the PPL is
issued in accordance with JAR FCL however there is no mutual recognition of the licensing yet.

If you embark on the JAA ATPL course then there is no requirement for a JAR license to commence the Modular course but for an ICAO license that the Cyprus license is.

Does that mean the PPL is not a JAA Licence????

Is that going to cause problems if i embark on further studies???

Thanks for any help!!!

Regards

Scott

Send Clowns
17th Nov 2004, 00:51
Not sure about the status, but there is no problem at all with further studies. All you need is an ICAO PPL - I only ever had an FAA one, never needed a UK/JAA licence.

scottwarnick
17th Nov 2004, 01:23
Does that mean if i get the GCCA PPL as issued in my home Dubai i can still go on to do a JAA Modular at an approved school?

IRISHPILOT
17th Nov 2004, 07:48
Absolutely! No need whatsoever for a JAR PPL.

Even more so, You will loose your JAR PPL once you gain the JAR CPL. If you do any ICAO PPL, you will keep it. - No harm having an extra licence, especially if it's cheaper than the JAR one.

If it was an FAA PPL, for example, you can keep it for life, it's cheaper and quicker. Yes, the theory for the JAR PPL will give you an idea of what to expect for the JAR ATPL theory, but so will a good book. - Save the money, you will need it at a later stage.

Send Clowns
18th Nov 2004, 13:33
We have many people come through the school without JAA PPLs - including, by coincidence, a lot from Cyprus at the moment. Assuming your licence is ICAO-compliant (the only one I know of that isn't is, ironically, the new UK NPPL, a restricted licence for UK flying only, so I expect that it is).

BillieBob
19th Nov 2004, 00:33
Cyprus is not a full member of the JAA and its licences are not recognised as JAA compliant. However, the pre-requisite for entry to JAA professional training is to hold an ICAO-compliant PPL (Or, more correctly, to hold a PPL issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1). Since Cyprus is a member of ICAO, a Cypriot PPL does fulfill the requirement.

There are a number of licences that are not issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1, the UK's NPPL is one, the FAA Recreational Licence is another. There are more things in Heaven and on Earth, Horatio.....

To answer Scott's original questions:

1. Yes, that means that the Cypriot PPL is not a JAA licence.

2. No, that will not cause any problems if you embark on further studies.

3. You're welcome.