PDA

View Full Version : Long Shot....

No comment
16th Nov 2004, 18:51
Theres a hulk of a (presumably) crashed light aircraft on a farm on the North Downs Way just SE of Chaldon, Surrey.

Anyone know what/where/who or just why its there?!

Noticed it on a cycle ride in the Autumn and only just remembered to ask. Didn't get any markings off it though. Was under a tree right next to the track.

Long shot I know but can't find it in wrecks and relics!

treadigraph
17th Nov 2004, 07:03
Ahhh! I'll go take a look as it's local and just off my regular cycle route...

The Tiger Club used to occasionally use a farm in that area for various competitions - it was owned by the guy who drove Brendan O'Brien's truck-top landing rig. Mac Maiklin? Maybe it's his...

Zlin526
17th Nov 2004, 11:01
This may be Paul Nalson's aircraft scrapyard.....Situated on top of the hill?

treadigraph
17th Nov 2004, 12:00
Think that's the other side of the A23, between Couldson, Woodmansterne and Kingswood. Used to be some PA-38s, C150s and a Pup or similar there if I recall.

No comment
29th Nov 2004, 12:27
It is on the top of a hill but its definately East of the A23.

treadigraph
29th Nov 2004, 12:45
Hi NC - last two weekends I've intended to walk out there onSunday afternoon and been thwarted by wet weather! NEXT weekend I promise... Is it at Wlllies Tree Farm? (Or something like that...?)

No comment
29th Nov 2004, 15:15
hi Treadigraph,
Not sure of the name of the farm but its on the South side of the North Downs way. May have been moved by now but I may take a ride up there again if I'm free anytime soon (hardly likely!)

treadigraph
1st Dec 2004, 16:37
Interestingly enough, there's a profile of Paul Nalson in the latest General Aviation... my comment about some PA-28s etc was slightly short of the mark - apparently he's had some 300 airframes pass through his hands, quite a few of which still seem to be there...

I'm looking for a garden shed, wonder if my neighbours would object to a PA-28 fuselage (less engine and cowlings)... sharing my 60' x 11' handkerchief lawn... I'm sure I could get my bike and mowers in it, just the job! :E

No comment
2nd Dec 2004, 11:09
Would look the part and you wouldn't need to creosote it so a good idea all round!

There used to be a Piper fuselage down an alley in Wallington (next to a barbers shop) a few years back so it seems theres been a few kicking about the area for a while!

I'm sure nobody would mind the shed idea!

:ok:

Kolibear
2nd Dec 2004, 11:43
I think a Shorts Skyvan would make the most appropriate Shed

treadigraph
2nd Dec 2004, 11:52
Skyvan would just about fill the garden and almost be bigger than the house... at least I wouldn't need to re-tile it!

airborne_artist
3rd Dec 2004, 08:19
There was a a lady in my village here in Oxfordshire who lived - yes lived in the fuselage of a Horsa.

It had never left England during WW2, and she bought it in about 46 I think. It slowly was surround by more buildings, sheds etc until it was almost hidden.

Only about 4 years ago she moved to a home, and the entire set-up was dismantled, and the Horsa taken to a museum.

treadigraph
3rd Dec 2004, 13:44
I've said this before on the forum - I see those 727s that get converted into houses in the USA and I think, "yes, but, I'd really like to convert a 747..." Master bedroom in the hump - there's a certain something in that concept - probably use the hold as a garage... acres of internal space. Need really nice neighbours though!

treadigraph
6th Dec 2004, 06:41
Ande the prize goes to... Zlin526!

It is indeed Paul Nalson's scrapyard - I thought that was actually on a farm near Banstead; there certainly used to be a few airframes there a dozen years or so ago - perhaps he's moved? That would have given Pickfords a few headaches...

Anyway, the aircraft nearest the track is pictured below - I have to say I'm, a bit perplexed... What is it? Reminds of various types, but none of them fit.

I could also see the Vagabond and Colt mentioned in Pat Malone's article - they were the other side of a hedge, but I imagine that the foliage has succumbed to the depredations of winter since No Comment's visit. The main field of wrecks could also just be seen...

Cheers,

A slightly muddy Treadders...

http://www.tpsconsult.co.uk/dump/images/wreck.jpg

No comment
6th Dec 2004, 12:07
Thats the place! Nice one Treadders.

Looks like not a lot has changed (apart from the aforementioned foliage) but glad you found it.

Must say I'd never heard of Paul Nalson until reading about it here. What exactly does he do? Collect the wrecks and find usable parts/scrap metal? Seems a difficult place to transport aircraft much bigger than the above to.

Now to find out what that wreck is...

p.s. did you take any more piccies up there?

treadigraph
6th Dec 2004, 12:32
Just two shots the same... I got a little muddy in the process (clumsy bu@@er that I am) and decided not to risk transferring it to the camera. It was a nice walk, got a train/bus (engineering works!) to Merstham, then climbed up over the fields and back via Coulsdon Common. Shame the weather was a bit dreary.

Paul breaks wrecks for parts. The article shows racks of avionics in the dining room - the Nalson family eat in the kitchen! - and he also supplies aircraft or wreck for prorammes such as "Heartbeat" (and nice 1996 Cherokee 180 built up from stock!), Casualty etc.
Think he mainly sticks to singles and light twins.

That aircraft seems familiar, but I just can't place it... The last letter was just visible on what was left of the rear fuselage - probably an O or a D (or if it's foreign amybe a Q).

Skylark4
6th Dec 2004, 22:16
If you come across an unusual car, you look at the front and theres a badge which tells you the makers name and on the back is another similar badge and usually the model name of the car and often info on gears/ turbo/ trim level.
Why are aircraft different. An awful lot of aircraft carry no indication of who built them and few will tell you the actual model/type. I realise that this is sometimes due to repainting etc but it is very frustrating., especially at the PFA Rally. If your aircraft has no info on it, please stick a sheet of A4 in the windscreen with basic info.

Mike W