PDA

View Full Version : Vale of York Flight Safety Awareness Day - Leeming 16/11

EESDL
16th Nov 2004, 18:25
It was my first visit to such an event.
Any comments from other 'participants'?
Or have you 'communicated' enough?
Not suprised to see that fatigue was not mention/ignored.
Gliders making every effort to increase their gliding performance but no effort to fulfill their side of the 'see and avoid' mandate.

No response from the commercial guys cutting the corner off the Airways....Duty of care/responsibility, taking an aircraft through an area of increased air activity.

From my part, it was worthwhile and thanks to those that org'd the event.

Just a shame that there were so many 'converted' being preached too.

stillin1
17th Nov 2004, 15:14
fatigue? I was enthralled all day, never felt tired once!
Agree with the rest.
Depressingly not a surprise to see the lack of GA participation despite the invitations (since they are the first to whinge). Gliders = cheap / very expensive way to aviate whilst finding a place to create an airmiss and then try to blame it on every and anybody else when quoting the "rules of the air". Communicate is not in their vocabulary! :mad:

gadgetbent
17th Nov 2004, 16:50
It was fairly ironic that yesterday on the BBC 6pm news, there was a piece about a mil ac v glider airprox. The gliding community came out glowing and the military got a pounding. Strange considering when the last glider air 2 air hit was against GA. But as the gliding rep said, expect to see gliders below cloud, above cloud, in cloud and in the gaps between clouds. Very usefull!

The rest of the day was interesting and it yes it was a shame that the commercial sector were poorly represented.

Beermonkey
18th Nov 2004, 08:26
Yes, thought the glider man was very 'helpful'.

"Please do not fly near mountains on wave days, near cloud, in cloud, cloud base, don't even think about using a hole to get down into LL unless you can deconflict which side of the hole may have the rising air.........!"

I did like their 'we sometimes climb inside a cloud without a radar service' banter.

Well, you can never have too much chaff.....

FL55
18th Nov 2004, 11:02
Strange considering when the last glider air 2 air hit was against GA.

The last glider to GA hit was caused by the GA aircraft, a light twin of some description (the exact type escapes me), running into the back of a glider which was flying straight and level.

Funnily enough the GA aircraft probably should have been looking out more...

Kolibear
18th Nov 2004, 11:41
You might like to have a look at this thread

Gliders (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149325)

that was in the Private Flyers forum recently.

Spugford
18th Nov 2004, 14:37
Gliders in the Vale of York... bad bad bad.

Whilst approaching the top of drop on an (average!) ILS into Linton in the Shorts Hairdryer, we were warned of an 'intermittent contact..possibly a glider 12 o'clock 1 mile'

A second later my creamie instructor nabbed control and broke out before reversing to show me a very very close-up of a stealth-white glider. They got more than the usual barrage of insults, naturally, none of which were visual, and I got away with a visual recovery!

Within a week of this, the same creamie was flying with another stude, approaching initials received the same warning from ATC. His (natural and understandable) reaction to this was to shout 'f****n' monkeys on the intercom.... sadly at the same time as stude in the front pressed to transmit. ATC: 'Errr.... Lima !£ say again'. Pilot: 'Disregard... Lima !£ Initials'!

'kin funny but frightening at the same time for all concerned I'm sure.

PPRuNe Radar
18th Nov 2004, 16:55
"Please do not fly near mountains on wave days, near cloud, in cloud, cloud base, don't even think about using a hole to get down into LL unless you can deconflict which side of the hole may have the rising air.........!" I did like their 'we sometimes climb inside a cloud without a radar service' banter.

A case of do as I say, not as I do ?? :rolleyes:

Can't have it both ways I am afraid, it's everyone's airspace.