PDA

View Full Version : swotting up!

whirlygirlie
16th Nov 2004, 16:41
Would any of your Rotorheads be able to tell me where I could get hold of all the books I need to prepare for a helicopter commercial licence in advance of doing the course? I am not planning to start my licence for a couple of years but want to swot up on the theory!!!

Whirlygig
16th Nov 2004, 17:27
If you haven't got your PPL then start with the Trevor Thom series. If you have, refresh your memory!

I think you can buy the Jeppesen/OAT set through the flight suppliers.

If you know with whom you wish to enrol, then have a chat with them and explain what you have told us - they may be able to help. Remeber, you have 18 months to pass the exams from the date of the first sitting but you can prepare for them in advance.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Whirlygig

lionco
16th Nov 2004, 17:43
Principles of Helicopter Flight by W.J. Wagtendonk
This book covers most, but not all, of the learning objectives for the JAR-FCL ATPL (H)
I can definatley recomend it as I teach the subject.

Cheers and good luck
Lionco

Whirlygig
16th Nov 2004, 17:52
Lionco,

I appreciate you teach the stuff but, er, aren't there some other subjects besides Principles of Flight? Like Law, Human Factors, VFR/IFR comms, Met?

But yes, Wagtendonk is v. good.

paco
17th Nov 2004, 04:40
Try JAR Professional Pilot Studies (http://www.electrocution.com/aviation#JAR) by, er, me! It covers all that stuff and more for aeroplanes and helicopters, and not expensive either. Transair have it.

cheers

Phil

whirlygirlie
17th Nov 2004, 14:06
Thanks v. much.

I have a PPL(A) (I know, sorry!) and I am revising the theory stuff from that.

I have bought some books from Transair but they were out of Priniciples of Flight. Nice to know I was on the right track.

Will definitely try where I hope to train, that was my next step but I thought I would try you guys first.

Cheers,

Whirlygirlie

Whirlygig
17th Nov 2004, 15:37
Oh yeah - forgot, If you go to http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/jar-fcl_objectives.html

you can download the .pdfs for thw whole syllabus.

The next most important book to have is LASORS (there should be a new one out in Jan) and this has some recommended reading at the back.

Cheers

Whirlygig

17th Nov 2004, 17:16
Many of the Groundschools now sell their notes to anyone. (Eg Oxford, GTS (Bournemouth).

I buy and read them to while away the long Birmingham Winter Nights. Prices vary from £30.00 to £60.00 per manual. Most of the providers will give you a discount when you eventually strart the course if you have purchased the manuals from them in advance.

The purchase you really want to make us BGS's CD which I believe includes all of their notes and multimedia (£500).

I have pacos book and it is readable and useful and regular updates and improvements are all available.

lionco
17th Nov 2004, 19:26
Yes yes Whirly, but I'm a rotorhead & that's the important bit.:E

Lionco

whirlygirlie
18th Nov 2004, 09:07
Cheers again guys, will sort out a.s.a.p