PDA

View Full Version : Broadband (again)

16th Nov 2004, 13:54
I've been asked a question by a neighbour, and I've no idea of the answer.
Is it possible for 2 people to connect to an ISP (broadband) using 2 separate broadband modems. it is a long way between the 2 computers, and I don't think a wireless set-up would work properly, and they don't want to network the 2 computers.
The 2 users would be signing on (to AOL) with different screen names.
They have an AOL supplied broadband modem, and if the 2 modem set-up is okay, they will buy another modem.

Thanks for any info

amanoffewwords
16th Nov 2004, 14:34
In an nutshell and assuming one broadband account (With two users) over one adsl-enabled telephone line:

yes, but not at the same time (i.e. they'll have to take turns loggin in/out etc.)

Hope this helps,
Charles

Tinstaafl
16th Nov 2004, 15:56
They could use the building's electrical supply cabling to make a network so computer 'B' can connect to computer 'A' and share its internet connection. That way both computers can access the net at the same time.

They'd need to buy a powerline network device for each PC. The gizmo takes the PC's network traffic & superimposes it over the standard electrical wiring in the building to be received by the other PC's gizmo.

They're available in the UK & US but not sure of the price.

OzPax1
16th Nov 2004, 22:15
Yes you can log onto different accounts from the same line with adsl. As long as it is the same ISP ( is to do with the routing on the BT IP network) But why youd have to pay through the nose for 2 ADSL accounts.

Much easier to buy a ADSL router and then run CAT5 Ethernet. It is capable of a good signal without significant signal loss up to 100 meters. Can't see many cases in a home setting needing more then that. And even then you just need to plug in a hub or switch and presto another 100 meters! Bundles of CAT5 cable is cheap too & patching together the cable end connector is easy (tools, cable & testing kit etc all sold at PC world or online via Dabs etc!). And all the above is good fun anyway, and a learning experience to boot. :ok:

spannersatcx
17th Nov 2004, 10:10
they don't want to network the 2 computers.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Nov 2004, 12:26

Cheapest solution, setup a network. But, since they do not want that, have both of them get their own broadband accounts.

If one is still logged on when the other logs on from a different location, it will not take very long for the ISP to figure it out and lock the account.

Take Care,

Richard

Memetic
17th Nov 2004, 12:57
I'd say Wireless is the way to go, if rather than a new modem (And new account with new monthly fee, a reccurring cost) they got a pair of wireless access points, from the same manufacturer to ensure absolute compatibility and set one up as a repeater - a feaure on some access points. e.g. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=267

Or settle for just one access point and high gain antennas, if they really want to go to extremes along that route a 55-mile Wi-Fi connection (http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,64440,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2) is possible. (The other furthest one was to a weather balloon!)

The powerline based networking solutions have a reputation for being extremely unfriendly to HAM radio users and shortwave listeners so may be worth avoiding.

Regards

Memetic

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Nov 2004, 13:40
Memetic,

I use the:

airBridge™ Outdoor (http://www.smartbridges.com/web/products/abo.asp)

http://www.smartbridges.com/web/products/product_images/aBo.jpg

Two bridge the network between the Flight Department and the Maintenance Hangar a 1/2 mile away.

It does have a range of up to 21 miles.

Take Care,

Richard

Memetic
17th Nov 2004, 13:43
Richard,

That's cheating, it's amplified! :D

Memetic

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Nov 2004, 13:46
Memetic,

Nothing like PoE to power it too so you do not need to try and run power up to the top of the hangar. :eek:

Take Care,

Richard

Koyo
18th Nov 2004, 00:24
Where exactly are these 2 computers located? Inside, outside, in a house, in an apartment? What material is the building? Wood or concrete? Usually a wireless router can be supplemented with a high gain antenna. I have a Linksys unit and my sister can connect to it while she's working downstair in the kitchen. My house is made of wooden frame with a thin layer of concrete between each floor.