PDA

View Full Version : brittania training

ukwannabe
15th Nov 2004, 20:46
Any one in Britannia can tell me what the trainers are like, and the training regime. Have been invited back for phase 2 of the selection process and am just curious. It appears from my limited knowledge that it's a pretty happy set up. Any one care to elaborate. Feel free to pm me.
Any one been for phase 2 yet, who can shed a bit of light. I was amazed to get through after the english verbal reasoning test, that left me totally befuddled. I take my hat off (are they still white in Britannia?) to anyone who tried it who doesn't use english as a first language.
Cheers.

MAX
16th Nov 2004, 08:36
No hats at all in Britannia. I wouldnt get stressed about the training if I was you, just concentrate on passing the second phase. You will have a sim, shrink interview and HR/Pilot interview.

Not sure whats happening with the 737 training although the 75/76 is normally done in house, but will depend on how stretched the training department is. All the training guys are great value and if you get in the flying is varied, the girls are pretty and the coffe is hot. (if you're a female the male F/O's are ok too) ;-)

What more can you ask for?

MAX:cool:

StudentInDebt
16th Nov 2004, 10:17
Is the 737 course still being done in Germany?

ukwannabe
16th Nov 2004, 11:08
Thanks Max. How long is the sim ride at phase two. Also is there a tecnical q&a session?

Spanky
16th Nov 2004, 15:00
That you "local" guys also thought the Verbal Reasoning was a mind twister. English is not my first language, and honestly I didnt quite understand all the questions. I pretty much understood all the examples, but they were quite simple compared to the actual exercises.

What I am hoping is, that when they evaluate the test, they take a peek to the signing in sheet, where we had to state if english is our first language.

I went on the 2nd of November, has anybody from that day heard anything. I remember they told us that we would get a call if would be offered the second assessment. But only get an email or snailmail if we wouldn't.

Spanky

ukwannabe
17th Nov 2004, 00:54
I went on the 29th Oct. and heard, well my wife did as I'm out of the UK for three weeks, heard about a week ago. I surmise that as you haven't heard yet it can only mean good news. Best of luck and hope to see you all at the second stage. Have been told that it should be the first week of Dec. as Nov. is now fully subscribed. Am looking forward to it.
Never had an interview with a psydchiatrist, though many have said I should! Anyone know what occurs there?

MAX
17th Nov 2004, 08:06
Please bare in mind this info may not be to the day current but certainly used to be the standard format.....

Sim is/was 3 departures, hand flown, no flight director/auto throttle, vectors back to ILS to land. Debrief the training Cpt after each and improve for the next one. You will be given standard calls and expected to use them. Could be HS125/757 sim.

Shrink int. is a general chit chat. They have seen your profile from the Psychometric questionaire and will throw a few probing questions to see how you react and whether you lied. I found this one quite pleasant.

Pilot Int. doesnt involve any technical questions. More to do with behaviour. 'Explain a life changing moment and how you handled it?', 'Explain how you have dealt with a difficult colleague'. Expect a bunch of these from the HR and pilot. They will briefly run over your application too, so try brush up on that photo copy you, of course, made.

If this has all changed let me know and ill remove it.

Good luck.

MAX:cool:

yeoman
17th Nov 2004, 09:40
I'm not being snide but one of the things that bodes well is an attention to detail as it is often the little things that trip you up. I'm sure it is only finger trouble but Britannia has a capital B, 2 n's and only one t. That kind of slip is a poor indicator. That sounds pretty crass but please take it in the spirit in which it is meant!

As for the interview, this is a "key event" type. As Max says, they are looking for indicators on how you have done something in the past that would translate into how you do something in the future. Don't get hung up on it, be genuine because the HR people are pros at sniffing out the big timers.

The very best of luck, it's a good little set up.:ok:

Akro
17th Nov 2004, 15:33
Thanks for all the info! Are there a lot of questions about the company and its history? Any tech questions at all?

yeoman
17th Nov 2004, 20:13
The short answer is "I don't know" a I'm not directly involved in selection. Talking to mates who are I guess that they are looking for people they could hack sitting next to for a good few hours!

The big thing seems to be potential. Will this guy get through a pretty intense course and not become a big training/financial burden? I really don't know. I would imagine they would look for a level of tech knowledge commesurate with your experience. Don't bother learning which Hydraulic system powers the Stab Trim on the 757, they'll teach you that!

Anyway, I hope to meet you soon!

StudentInDebt
17th Nov 2004, 23:12
Akro and others.

To reemphasise what Max wrote (I did it about the same time as Max) there were/are no questions about Britannia, 757s, 767s, flying jet aircraft, flying propellor aircraft, coriollis force, principles of IRS navigation, how to swing a compass, Wye or Star AC thingies, aerodynamic instability or whether you know the serial numbers of the hydraulic pumps fitted to the 5 737-200s they sold in the 1990s. :D

All questions in the interview are about you as a person, they do not need you to demonstrate your knowledge of the technical or navigation subjects because a) you have a JAA pass certificate to tell them you have it and b) they have probably forgotten it all anyway. ;) Shouldn't worry about the history of Britannia as they are throwing it all away at the moment anyway.

So if I had a forthcoming interview I'd worry less about aerodynamic instability and more about how I'm going to answer some of the questions Max has suggested. :ok:

Fokkerdriver
10th Jun 2005, 09:59
Hello everybody!!

Since I have an interview with Thomsonfly/Britannia next week I am now (after having brushed up on my math, raven-tests and some technical knowledge) looking for more clues to what I should be studying.

Thank you for all the info so far!!

The only thing is that I would appreciate some more information about what kind of testing I should expect on day 1. And what about the group interview....what should I expect from that???

All info is as said before appreciated!!