PDA

View Full Version : New EXE - CDG

FLYboh
15th Nov 2004, 20:22
Flybe. announces new flights to Paris CDG at Exeter International
15th November 2004

Flybe., Europe’s third largest low cost airline, today announces the launch of its new service to Paris CDG from Exeter International, giving the South West airport a link with a major international airport for the first time. The move is set to bring Exeter International into line with its regional counterparts and will provide business in the region with 250 onward connections worldwide.

The new routes will add 97,500 seats into the market, taking flybe’s total seat capacity at Exeter to 840,000 seats and consolidates its position as Exeter’s largest single scheduled carrier. The new service will travel to Paris twice daily from 27 March 2005. Prices start from £29 and tickets are on sale today at www.flybe.com. In comparison, British Airways offer a service to Paris from Bristol Airport costing from £385 per person, one way.

Jim French, Managing Director, flybe., commented: ‘Opening up the route to Paris CDG for flyers in Exeter has always been a priority for us, and we are delighted to announce our plans today. “It is good news for the economy in terms of giving inbound and outbound business easier access worldwide, through the 250 onward connections now available. It is also a great new way for people in Exeter to utilise mainland Europe for leisure and we expect the new route to have a strong impact on French tourism into the South West.”

“Flybe would like to pay tribute to Devon County Council, business leaders and EDAL for creating a positive framework for this exciting route to be launched. Airports are catalysts of economic growth for regions and we are pleased to pay tribute to EDAL and its owners, Devon County Council, for recognising and encouraging that role.”

Councillor Christine Channon, Leader of Devon County Council, owners of Exeter International Airport, said: "In this centenary year of the Entente Cordiale, it is a special pleasure that here in Devon we are announcing a new 21st century reinvention of the old alliance, a high-speed link connecting Exeter with Paris, the city of lights and the world beyond.

Councillor Richard Westlake, Chairman of Exeter International Airport's management board, said: "This is fantastic news and a bright new chapter in the continuing success story that Exeter International Airport represents. Thanks to terrific team work between the Airport, Devon County Council and Flybe we've got a great new service for the people of Devon -- so it's Paris here we come!"

MerchantVenturer
15th Nov 2004, 20:58
In comparison, British Airways offer a service to Paris from Bristol Airport costing from £385 per person, one way.

Excellent news for Exeter Airport but where did they get the twaddle about the BACx flights from BRS?

I've just checked the BA website for next March/April (when the Flybe EXT flights begin) and there are numerous dates when you can fly BRS-CDG return for £101.60, including tax and charges.

Can't imagine such statements will go down well with either BACx or the BRS management.

Having said that Flybe's lead-in fares are cheaper so it might be good news all round for west country travellers if BACx lower theirs to compete.

Ballymoss
15th Nov 2004, 20:58
???????????????:mad:

atco-matic
16th Nov 2004, 00:35
"quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In comparison, British Airways offer a service to Paris from Bristol Airport costing from £385 per person, one way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent news for Exeter Airport but where did they get the twaddle about the BACx flights from BRS?

I've just checked the BA website for next March/April (when the Flybe EXT flights begin) and there are numerous dates when you can fly BRS-CDG return for £101.60, including tax and charges."

Yes but if you read it again it does say the cheapest ONE WAY fare is £385... £101.60 is the cheapest RETURN... one ways usually cost more than the cheapest returns on BA. Its a bit of a naughty way of saying "we are cheaper" but its probably true!!!

MerchantVenturer
16th Nov 2004, 10:45
atco-matic

Many thanks for pointing that out.

I've never booked a one-way trip with BA and, whilst realising that most full service airlines charge more for one way tickets than for each leg of a return, I did not dream BA's single fares would be so much more than a combination of there-and-back on the same route.

If I wanted to go one way from Bristol to Paris I would save nearly 75% of the single fare by booking a return ticket but not using the return half. If I did this would I be barred by BA in the future I wonder?

I take back everything I've said about Flybe in this. It is a smart bit of marketing, even if a trifle misleading.

I have checked Flybe's site this morning and it is possible to fly from Exeter to Paris (one way) for £29 incl taxes and charges and a return trip can be had for £57.86. These were on random dates shortly after the route commences next March so they may be promotional prices - I don't know. On some days some flights were a little dearer, I should add in fairness.

What I do know is that if I wanted to fly to Paris it would make sense for me to drive the 70 odd miles from my south Bristol home to Exeter if these prices are available regularly.

It will be interesting to see if BACx responds because there is clearly a significant price difference between their route and Flybe's. It might not bother business pax too much but I pay all my own fares.

dontdoit
16th Nov 2004, 10:50
Not a new route at all. They used to do it (as JEA) with the Bandit years ago.

EGTE
16th Nov 2004, 20:51
EXT - CDG....in a Bandit??????? Via Jersey perhaps but certainly not direct. :zzz:

'Twas Eurodirect with their ATPs who operated the last schedules between EXT & CDG. :8

The local paper mentions that additional routes from Exeter will be announced later this year to "the northwest and eastern England". Cue Norwich? :ooh: