PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive

Wing Commander Fowler
15th Nov 2004, 16:09
And again chaps,

Just picked me up a little beauty of an external hard drive (2.5") and it came with a USB cable that has TWO plugs at the computer end of the cable.

Now, it's USB 2 and I only have 1.1 which is OK but am wondering IF I connect both the plugs into the PC will it transfer data at twice the speed of just one plug? I'm using 2 sockets on the PC as oposed to splitting through a hub so it seems like a strong possibility IMHO. Any thoughts?

:=

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Nov 2004, 22:29
Wing Commander Fowler,

Not sure what you have, but it sounds like a pass through so you do not lose a USB Port by plugging in the Drive. If that is what you have, then it will not do you any good, and if you managed to plug in two ports for the drive, you will either damage it or completely mess up any data transfers.

Does the cable look something like this:

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/22-154-624-03.JPG

Now you would be much better off getting a USB 2.0 PCI Card for your comp. They are very cheap.

Take Care,

Richard

Wing Commander Fowler
16th Nov 2004, 08:39
Thanx for taking the time to reply as always Richard - no the lead I have has a plug to fit into the hard drive and on the other end of the cable are two USB "A" plugs ie the cable goes into one plug and then a jumper comes out of the back of that plug and on to another plug of the same format. Thus both would be able to fit into two USB sockets in the PC. Provided the cable were able to take the higher data speed which it obviously can as USB2 then to the blithering idiot (me) in the context of simple plumbing terms, it would seem possible that by allowing flow into this "pipe" through double the number of orifii - double the capacity might result???

Oh how complex life for the village simpleton hehe! :bored:

Tinstaafl
16th Nov 2004, 15:59
The extra plug might be to get more power. Each USB port can only supply a limited amount of electrical power so another plug supplements this.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Nov 2004, 12:12
Wing Commander Fowler,

It would help if you linked a picture or gave us the details on the Drive.

Take Care,

Richard