PDA

View Full Version : CPL or IR first

Mosspigs
15th Nov 2004, 14:20
I maybe getting my facts wrong - so please re-educate if needed.

I have been conducting some research into getting my licenses and some schools seem to teach the IR package before the CPL.

If this is the case, can someone with knowledge explain the rationale behind this and furthermore advise me as to which is the best way around.

Thanks in advance.

tescoapp
15th Nov 2004, 14:28
Been done before.

Nobody can give you the right answer for you.

If you do the IR first it MAY give you a reduced cost. But one cockup and all the gains are lost.

Sorry for not being more yes or no. There really isn't a definative answer

tescoapp

moggiee
15th Nov 2004, 22:44
My advice is to do the CPL skills test (and the training before it) before you take on the IR. Also, if you can afford it, do the CPL on a twin as this will give you a leg up on the IR as you are already up to speed on the twin.

Alternatively, do your CPL and IR on a single and only go for the twin later when you need it.

Regardless of which option you choose, I would suggest that you are better off to do the CPL first as handling experience you gain there will make the IR a bit easier.

silverknapper
16th Nov 2004, 10:38
Horses for courses.
Do you have an IMC? If so then chances of messing up IR are reduced greatly so you may make a saving.
If not then I personally think the CPL first is better. It'll get you more used to flying to a much higher standard after you're hour building before going on to something totally alien.

SK

African Drunk
22nd Nov 2004, 17:32
I would recommend to do the IMC before IR as this seems to produce better results.

In my opinion having seen many students do CPL then IR and IR then CPL it makes no difference on the hours required for ethier. And as the CPL contains little IFR work relvant to the IR I wouldn't undertake the additional cost of a multi CPL.

PS I have instructed well over 50 of each.

hotprop
22nd Nov 2004, 17:56
I'm not familiar with Uk requirements if they differ from Swedish but if you don't have an IR before you do the CPL you need to do 25 hrs. If you have the IR you need to do 15 hrs. I don't think you get any "discount" for the IR hours requirement.

Basically you could save 10 hrs by doing IR then CPL. I found the IR was a question of flying off the hours after about 25 or so, it's not really that difficult, if you think it is, perhaps accounting would be an alternative.:E
The CPL felt much the same, especially now that many of the maneuvers that were required previously don't exist, i.e. chandelles, lazy eights.

That's my experience although I'm sure there are a million other opinions.

/Hotprop