PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a laptop screen?

HughMartin
15th Nov 2004, 11:47
What do you recommend is the best way to clean finger smudges from a laptop screen? I assume the screen is fairly fragile and don't want to experiment and get it wrong.

Thanks for any advice.

ZH875
15th Nov 2004, 12:01
I've always used a bit of Isopropyl Alcohol (tape head cleaner), and a lint free cloth.

The screen is not as fragile as you imagine, but gentle strokes with the cloth dipped in Isoprop should remove all traces of greasy fingerprints. Let it evaporate and you don't even have to dry the screen.

R4+Z
16th Nov 2004, 02:17
I personally use Spectacle cleaning wipes. I figure if they won't damage plastic optical lenses then they should be ok for a laptop screen.

goates
16th Nov 2004, 03:50
Have you checked the manuals? Most monitors have some tips on what to use to clean them. In most cases just some water and a soft cloth is all that is needed. Other chemicals can wipe off any protective or anti-glare coating that may be on the screen.

goates

SeldomFixit
16th Nov 2004, 08:19
Interesting that most optometrists have recommended soap and water to clean glasses rather than lens cleaning solutions or wipes. Mild soap/water, lint free cloth should see you right. Don't " polish " in circles though - unidirectional wipes to avoid scratching.

HughMartin
16th Nov 2004, 15:35
Thanks folks for the advice. My manual says not to use alchohol nor detergent but just a dry lint free cloth. I haven't tried yet but I would have thought that a dry cloth would not be much good for finger marks.

Next question;-

Anyone know a good way of cutting childrens' fingers off without getting too much blood on the carpet?

BLUE SKY THINKER
16th Nov 2004, 16:16
HughMartin.....

Similar 'crisis' this afternoon. Rushed out, purchased and can vouch for the following product. Available various places; cheapest PC World & Dixons: £4.99.

That said, I'm wary of tissues, they being (albeit slightly) abrasive if used hard; so elected for very gentle run over to get the cleaning fluid on the screen, followed by a light polish with brand new duster (have to be quick before it evaporates). Screen now genuinely 'as new'.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/images/753901_01_huge.jpg

Blacksheep
18th Nov 2004, 02:34
I use Bxxxs (UK High Street pharmacist that's also a type of footware) Spectacle Lens Cleaner, together with their own brand Lens Cleaning Cloth. Does a good job and works on my spectacles too.