PDA

View Full Version : Reading Forums

Capt Snooze
14th Nov 2004, 00:06
Query for the BBS experts.

Like many PPRuNers, I imagine, I routinely browse several forums (forii?) to the exclusion of those of no personal interest. Is there a way of presenting ONLY these forums on login?
Subscribed forums in User CP appears to describe this process, but offers no apparent way of setting it up.

Any ideas?

Snooze zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BOAC
14th Nov 2004, 07:12
Not quite sure what you are asking for, Captain, but assuming you get to Pprune via 'Favourites', why not set your 'Favourite' Pprune forum (all of them, of course:D) as that link? You could then set all your chosen fora as 'links' (IE)? I guess at the moment you go straight to the forum list?

NB: You do not need to log in UNLESS you need either to post or access a 'restricted access' feature. The prompt to do so will come up when needed. Is that any help?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Nov 2004, 11:52
Capt Snooze,

I have the forums I read in my User CP. All you do is go to the forum you want added and click on "Subscribe to this Forum" just above the top thread on the left hand side and you are set.

Take Care,

Richard

Binoculars
14th Nov 2004, 12:10
OK, I just did that for the half dozen forums that I read. What is different? What does it achieve? I expected only those forums to appear on the Forum Home Page. :confused:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Nov 2004, 12:15
Binoculars,

It lets you see just the forums you read and you can tell when something has posted since your last visit to the forums.

Take Care,

Richard

Binoculars
14th Nov 2004, 12:41
It lets you see just the forums you read

Sorry, Richard, you've lost me. In what sense does it let me do that?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Nov 2004, 13:15
Binoculars,

By listing the forums you read in User CP, you only see the forums you read, in your case 6 forums vs the 61 forums PPRuNe has.

Take Care,

Richard

BOAC
14th Nov 2004, 13:44
Bino - what I was saying is do NOT go to the forums 'Home Page', but use your 'Favourites' to list the fora you want.

What Richard is saying is do NOT go to the forums 'Home Page', set your browser to open 'user cp' when you click on Pprune.

Either way you only see the desired fora?

FJJP
14th Nov 2004, 14:29
Forgive me if this seems to be teaching grandma to 'suck eggs'. I find it easiest to assume lack of knowledge - I know I appreciate it when I am not sure of a subject, and I don't feel insulted when someone is trying to help...

I see what you mean about the CP User - there is not obvious way to add to the list. However, I use the favourites option. Open the forum index you want to read regularly [eg 'Computer-Internet Issues']. Then go 'Favourites', 'Add to Favourites', click 'New Folder', add name for this folder [eg, 'PPrune'], Then click 'OK'.

You have created a new folder [PPrune, which contains the hyperlink to Computer-Internet Issues]. It is positioned at the bottom of the 'Favourites' list. Scroll down to the end of Favourites, left click and hold, and scroll the folder up to the place where you want it to appear - somewhere near the top? Then when you open the browser, click on Favourites, the PPrune folder is right there in front of you.

Now go on to the next forum you view regularly. Repeat the process above, except you don't have to create a new folder - you add to the existing PPrune folder. And so on.

Then, when you have finished, you will have all your routinely read forum hyperlinks all lumped together in one folder.

I have found it the simplest and quickest way of switching between my favourite forums.

BOAC
14th Nov 2004, 16:41
If I remember correctly ( a miracle:D ) the link to add a forum to your 'subscribe' list is the one top left of the relevant forum posts?

FJJP
14th Nov 2004, 17:27
As I said once before on a 'how to' topic - the answer is so blindingly simple, it hurts!

Thanks, BOAC - Nice one...

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Nov 2004, 18:09
FJJP,

As I mentioned above:

All you do is go to the forum you want added and click on "Subscribe to this Forum" just above the top thread on the left hand side and you are set.

Take Care,

Richard