PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully simple? Win 98 to Win XP

MOSTAFA
14th Nov 2004, 00:05
I'm not brave enough just to stick the (legal) windows XP cd into the drive and hope it upgrades from Windows 98 to Windows XP. Anybody tried or know how to do it? Many thanks in anticipation.

unclenelli
14th Nov 2004, 01:09
Before you insert the CD, check Control Panel/System and take a note of all your installed hardware (especially the modem!!!!)

Then Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs and note all your installed programs

The Reason for this is some of your hardware/software won't work with XP initially without new drivers/versions/upgrades.

Before you use the XP CD, check for and download a new modem Driver. Without this you cannot upgrade to XP as nothing else can be updated and you cannot connect to the net to download anymore!!! Copy this driver to a CD/Floppy for use later.

NOW you can use the XP CD.

Once installed XP will search for hardware and try to install the drivers for them. Click Cancel on everything to begin with, until you get the green field screen.

Install your modem drivers, then check Control Panel/System and install everything marked with a ?

Reinstall all your software as per your add/remove programs list.
Some may need updating, but that will be evident at install.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Nov 2004, 11:43
MOSTAFA,

I have upgraded people from Win98SE to WinXP, but I prefer doing a fresh install. Something with machines that have been running an old OS like that is they usually have legacy programs that will not work with WinXP.

I would backup all your important data before doing the upgrade, and if you can, I would start with a fresh install (with your Hard Drive formatted to NTFS).

Take Care,

Richard

flajjer
15th Nov 2004, 19:41
If you want to install XP do a fresh install, it takes some more time but you wont get those annoying errors later on.
Don't forget to upgrade to service pack two and upgrade all your drivers as well..
Maybe an opportunity to clear your computer? :ok:

A Very Civil Pilot
17th Nov 2004, 11:43
I tried the transfer with a new install of XP. I stored all my docs with the W98 backup mode, but there is no way of restoring this to XP. It may be best to sore all your files non-compressed on a disc, rather than backing it up.