PDA

View Full Version : Norton Ghost

volrider
14th Nov 2004, 00:04
I need to install a new hard drive to replace my small one that has the operating system etc on, I run XP Home with SP2. Now I had heard this prog will ghost the contents of the O/P dics to another on then you can remove the old disc and run the pc with no hassles from the ghosted disc? Is it that simple??? Hope so..anyone done this?

lucky7
14th Nov 2004, 02:23
I must say it is one of the best software out there. It is that simple...connect your new drive as slave to the existing one...partition it and format to XP native ntfs...after all is done...fire up nortons ghost and select clone HD...so easy mate...I also normally do a backup of a Hd on dvd just in case it crashes.....also with ghost. PC's which I build for my mates here in Singapore I have been doing dvd backup of their drive the day I gave them their pc's...and it has save all lot of headaches re-doing it when it crashes...i always say to people that it is the user that stuffs things up and not the hardware normally...cheers:O

volrider
14th Nov 2004, 11:39
Many thanks for this Lucky7 seems like thats the way forward for me then :D

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Nov 2004, 11:49
volrider,

I have use Ghost for many years, (long before Symantec bought them out), and it will do what you need. Several years ago I switched to:

Acronis True Image 8.0 (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/)

I have found it to be a better program, and every Ghost user I mentioned it to, have switched and preferred True Image. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

volrider
14th Nov 2004, 12:05
Hi Richard, I will take a look at it I am really pleased with the responses so far, who said the Internet was boring:D :D

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Nov 2004, 12:10
volrider,

Another advantage of True Image is that it lets you backup your Drive in Windows without rebooting and even lets you save an image to an external Drive. It is a great tool for automated backups of your Data. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Toxteth O'Grady
14th Nov 2004, 13:30
Acronis rocks :ok:

Great for recovering images from a network drive without DOS netcasting. Just uses the boot CD and allows browsing of network places in Explorer style GUI.

R4+Z
16th Nov 2004, 02:26
Richard / Anybody know if acronis can ghost protected dos based discs. We have a problem like this that ghost can't handle????