PDA

View Full Version : News and Rumours

LatviaCalling
13th Nov 2004, 21:33
Rumors and News fits right into the scope of what I would like to say.

First, I want to make a few points about rumors. It has become quite evident to me that this forum gladly accepts posted legitimate rumors, but yet there are counter threads that constantly warn us not to post rumors and instead let the CAA, the FAA, or whoever is in charge, decide the results. Well, if we followed these instructions, it would be a very sorry Pprune with very few posts and a lot of 200-page attachments of the official report two years into the future when most people have forgotten about the story of the incident.

Yet, the same people who say to lay off on the rumors, are the ones who five or 10 posts down the line are posting their own rumors.

Now, for the news. Just about every thread I read on this site has someone somewhere ragging on the press. Yes, I admit that the “Barbie” on Sky wouldn’t know a wing from a tail (maybe I’m wrong about the tail), but do you ever read some serious aviation journals where there are experts analyzing situations and not just spot reporting when there is not much information on a breaking story?

The most popular phrase coming out of tabloids regarding any kind of aircraft incident is, “I thought we were going to die.” Consider that yellow journalism that many people read on the way home on the tube, the subway, or the metro. No one really takes it seriously, and by the next day I doubt that you will find a follow-up story because the plane has landed safely and everyone has gone home.

Yet, when real sh*t happens, you are the first ones to quote and ask anybody on the site if they have any follow-up information. BBC says. CNN says. Sky says. In other words, then you do rely on the press for your information. I make no secret about it. I did work for the UPI news agency for many years, but I’ve been out of that business since 1981. I don’t have an axe to grind, except to say that you shouldn’t put every reporter down. Nor should you nix every rumor, because otherwise this would be a very meager site to post on.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
13th Nov 2004, 22:36
Sometimes people here might have more knowledge than they can, or should, share but are concerned at people speculating wildly off-topic on an incident.

In that case "wait for the official report" from some people might be code for "sorry guys, I can't tell you what happened, but you're not getting warmer"

lomapaseo
14th Nov 2004, 17:45
Sometimes people here might have more knowledge than they can, or should, share but are concerned at people speculating wildly off-topic on an incident.

In that case "wait for the official report" from some people might be code for "sorry guys, I can't tell you what happened, but you're not getting warmer"

Well I for one don't like waiting for an official report where flight safety is a stake.

Sure I think that some of the speculation and pseudo rumors are way off the mark. But I can easily judge who is the BS artists and who possibly has some relevant experience beyond a vivid imagination.

Also I rely on the news to point me in the direction of rumors that should be checked out. And as for I can't tell you what happened . Heck, I don't want an official answer anyway, just point me in another direction and I will look for myself.

411A
15th Nov 2004, 04:29
Take the Pinnacle Airlines CRJ accident as an example.

It would appear that a few of the younger pilots here have not been exposed to the problems of climbing a turbojet transport aircraft close to its maximum operating altitude, and perhaps have not considered the effects of the operating weight thereof with regards to the altitude used.

This was part and parcel of the problems encountered years ago when jet transports first came on the scene, in the late 1950's.

DC6 and Constellation pilots, now having the capability in their new jet equipment to overfly a very large percentage of enroute weather, while at the same time receiving no instruction (or very little) about the acute problems of operating close to the aerodynamic ceiling of their new aircraft, found themselves unable to cope with the problems encountered...like for example, slowing down far too much when encountering turbulence (as they would do in their prior piston equipment)...which led to jet upset incidents, that were very unpleasant for all concerned.

Sadly, in those early days, the disemination of information about all this was rather slow, but in todays environment, the internet provides a wide range of information (especially PPRuNe) so the younger guys can learn from the mistakes of others, and thereby perhaps save their collective behinds some day.

After all, is this not what flight safety is all about?

Rumours or news.
Seems to me that there is a place for both.

Danny
15th Nov 2004, 12:23
Seems like the few good journos get tarred with the same brush that tars all pilots as overpaid prima donnas who get paid astronomical sums for a few hours sitting up front and then enjoying a couple of days off in mass orgies with the female cabin crew in a five star luxury resort hotel. :rolleyes:

Blame the luvvies such as the news controllers and editors who would eat their own children in order to outdo each other to be the first with 'news' and to hell with the truth as long as they have a 'good' story.

Here on PPRuNe, most posters use the media's resources to get the breaking news but then we enter a speculation phase and invariably there will always be a few posters who make comments or observations in the internet equivalent of 'liking the sound of their own voice' but most educated readers are able to spot the pretenders and those with more in-depth knowledge and experience. At the end of the day you still have to sort the wheat from the chaff and it is those nuggets of excellent observation or information that make the trawl through some threads worthwhile to the majority of readers.

eal401
15th Nov 2004, 13:09
enjoying a couple of days off in mass orgies with the female cabin crew in a five star luxury resort hotel.
You've been watching "Mile High" again haven't you?

;)

PAXboy
15th Nov 2004, 13:42
mass orgies with the female cabin crew in a five star luxury resort hotel. You mean, all the male cabin crew are sitting quietly in their hotel rooms, reading Barbara Cartland? :}

I think that Lat.Call. has a point but, what can never be known is how people take the information away with them. A person might post here in a very strong manner but not share that info with anyone directly, or consider it again and with the reverse possibility, we see that there are as many options as there are people posting and reading PPRuNe.

If one broadens one's view ... each reader of the The Guardian [say] will react in a different way. Some will think that the paper is correct on a particular point and others will want to tear the celing down. Some will read all the reports, others will skim ...

In fact, PPRuNe is rather like life in general. :)

visibility3miles
15th Nov 2004, 16:39
Some journos do want to learn, and don't like making stupid mistakes (like how many engines are on a jet that has just gone down.) Latvia, you and others can act as a resource for journos who are trying to figure out what happened when they are hauled out of bed at 4 in the morning to report on something they may know little about.

If a journalist has made a mistake, say so! For the reasonable media sources, you can often call or e-mail them directly, and they will correct their mistakes. (Polite language works best, however...)

Aviation accidents are hard to diagnose on a moments notice, but that won't stop people from trying, reasonably or otherwise.

LatviaCalling
15th Nov 2004, 20:48
Danny,

Are you sure you wouldn't have rather been a novelist and authored "Airport" and made a few million right off the bat and then retired? A very good reply and I appeciate your thoughts that went into it.

visibility3miles,

During my tenure with UPI, I covered two major air crashes as a reporter which was way back when the police did not cordon off the area for journalists. May I say that these were more tamer and gentler times, where print reporters and photographers did NOT take photos of body parts. Just being there was sickening and smelly enough.

Today, however, the more gore the better, and that doesn't only go for the aviation industry. There is so much competition between Channel 2-3-4-5 and etc., that the closer and gorier (sp) they can get the better. I'm sorry to say that is what our world has come to. Today, an airliner belly flopping on a runway is not enough. To excite the public we have to have reality shows on TV, and when they're not enough, they have to be "super" reality shows on TV.

I'm sorry that I'm ranting, but when will it stop? That's why every minor incident on an airplane that goes awry loaded from 100 to 400 passengers is a major news item for the moment until everyone is safe on the ground. If it crashes -- yes -- it is a major news item to everyone, including PPrune, but most likely it was just a drunk who wanted another miniature vodka.

Your question also was how to teach reporters (I hate the word journalists) how to be more astute and to report facts more correctly.

First of all get it right. You don't have to be first, but you will be respected if you get it right (in my dreams if you are on TV where a breaking story can change from minute to minute and if you have reporter "Dork" on the scene).

If you're writing for a reputable newspaper, you double and triple check your facts and only then do you write your lead. You do not shoot from the hip, because it may come back to haunt you. How about a nice big law suit from the airline. It has happened and the airlines have won. If you do all the right things, you may be named "Transportation Reporter." Your peer level will go up, but it is up to you to keep it up.

I'm sure some lurking reporters won't like what I've said above, but if there are any inquiries of how to handle a reporter/air disaster situation, I would be glad to help. If anybody cares to look up my WWW address, they can find my E-mail under contacts. I was also a PPL flyer.

Jerricho
15th Nov 2004, 21:21
Latvia, you restore my faith.

It's been said before, and said again, that it is those of "outstanding journalistic integrity" (:rolleyes: ) that ruin it for those such as yourself. I would love to forward your post to a few media outlets for future reference.

Thank you. :ok:

LatviaCalling
15th Nov 2004, 21:41
Jerricho,

Thanks for your comments. Re Winnipeg, have been there several times. Know what it is like. Preferably in a Manitoba summer.

Cheers,

Emil