PDA

View Full Version : Forthcoming EK Pilots Meeting...

Shake
13th Nov 2004, 16:53
Divided up before we start, is there any possibility this meeting will achieve anything other than the depressing norm, or would we achieve more by avoiding it completely?

BigGeordie
13th Nov 2004, 17:55
Might be worth giving TCAS the benefit of the doubt. New broom and all that.

bus canuck
14th Nov 2004, 01:37
Keep in mind that these are Chief Pilot meetings and more likely to focus on SOPs and how to make the briefings longer than any labour issues.

Check.

Shake
14th Nov 2004, 06:20
Would like to give TCAS the benefit of the doubt but I doubt he can do anything meaningful with respect to our 'benefits'. If it is SOP changes and assorted trivia then there seems little point in turning up, on a day off without credit, just to hear the party line.

Perhaps we have the chance of making a united & symbolic gesture by staying away until such time as the more fundamental issues, previously under review, are finally addressed?

donpizmeov
14th Nov 2004, 10:56
Does not sound like any of the grown ups are going to be there, so those thinking they can vent and make a difference will be wasting their time.
Don

15th Nov 2004, 05:48
I would say a diliberate strategy to shield the Head of Flight Ops from further ridicule whilst pretending to listen to what the pilots have to say. It will be an hour or so about, how many jets we are getting, what a nice new ops building we are going to have, look at all the new destinations we are going to, you guys are really lucky to be working for EK, we're probably going to need to tighten our belts because of fuel costs.

Then for those lazy pilots who haven't fallen asleep through boredom and stay to ask a few questions, the standard reply "we will review that" should shut everyone up until next time they shove a red hot poker up our ar$e.

puff m'call
16th Nov 2004, 10:59
After attending my first pilots meeting I said then I would never go to another, and I haven't for very good reasons.

For the new pilots who have joined EK with high hopes all I will say is, from past experience don't wast your time going, just read the last thread, it's true!!!!

Leaving soon I hope. "Puff"

Shake
17th Nov 2004, 08:58
Also expect some kind of explanation that the 'surge' in profits just announced means that no improvements will be made and that the cost cutting must continue despite any problems and that we are heading in the right direction etc etc...heads they win, tails we lose.

crapflying
17th Nov 2004, 09:21
The meetings in any airline are an important tool not for the pilots, but for the management to justify its existance. Its kind of like the Ausie saying "It is more for my benefit than yours"
What has being going on in Emirates in the last few months is apauling and I am resigning as soon as my bond is up in six months. I see we are now looking for more facilitators to do CRM since the ones we had have resigned since it is for free. However joins the team for free definetely needs a serious psych exam.... It is also amazing that cabin crew are now valued more than flight deck crew since they now get paid more for working, still get the 3.5 hours for SEP and minimum 3.5 hours for doing a Doha. Stanby time does not count towards anything so I will not be picking up the phone nor checking EVITA. I am entitled to be sick on my standby days, and such I will. I have enjoyed the short time here, but all I can say about Emirates is "great marketing that does not meet anyones expectations." I think it is not going to be long before Emirates starts having the Gulfair problems because their service is dropping and passengers will go elsewhere. It is very easy to attract passengers, more difficult to keep them flying with your airline, but almost impossible to win them back once you lose them. All the other airlines around the gulf coming up will nible into Emirates slowly but surely, and just as Gulfair once thought that Emirates was a little airline down the road, so does Emirates today thinks about Qatar and Ettihad. The thing is that both these airlines have deep pockets and do not need to be profitable to be in existance, but both GF and EK need to be profitable to keep beeing in existance. Ettihad and Qatar are building their networks and once it is up and running will definetely give EK and GF a run for their money.
I on the other hand do not have to be here so I think it is time to pack things up and head back home. To all the fine pilots in Emirates that I have flown with and will fly with in the next six moths good luck

Shake
17th Nov 2004, 09:46
CF:

I sincerely hope that you have enjoyed your time and wish you luck with whatever you do next. Although I believe that DECs have added to the problems here I hope that you never took it personally.

Unfortunately our only chance to sort things out is by people like yourself leaving and I do not just mean DECS but other experienced pilots who see there futures elsewhere. EK Captains are leaving to become F/Os in other companies along with F/Os returning to their old jobs back at the bottom of the seniority list, all in preference to staying here. It is not a flood yet but surely someone somewhere in the office must recognise that there is a problem that needs to be addressed and not merely ignored or 'reviewed' ?

It is in all our interests that everyone stays, but like you, me & many others, we were taken in by the PR machine and left good jobs to come here only to be bitterly disappointed by the reality. It doesn't have to be like this but I don't see how things will improve either...

ARMGAT
20th Nov 2004, 12:12
Dubai may be a great place to live.

However, looking at all the posts on this forum, I am not sure if working over there is compatible with a sense of responsibility that every professional advocates.

Looks very much like CRAP 56, as the devils advocate, was right on the ball. He used PPRuNe pretty well and got banned for the direct style in which he posted.

Nevertheless, retrospection shows us that he brought us closer to the truth than anyone else possibly could.