PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron 8200 faff

Dimensional
13th Nov 2004, 11:32
I wonder if anyone can help with some laptop-based problems I'm having.

For some reason, it won't boot successfully at all. Most times it doesn't even get as far as the BIOS splash screen etc, but when it does Windows (XP) crashes to a blue screen either before or just after getting as far as the login screen, with the most common error being 'IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL'.

When it doesn't get that far it just lights up the Caps Lock and Shift Lock lights (which it doesn't usually do). I could be vastly wrong but I'm taking this as some kind of BIOS self-test failure/error message.

I've not added any new hardware/software at all, which is why this whole thing has me stumped. Anyone got any ideas?

-D

amanoffewwords
13th Nov 2004, 12:08
Are you able to go in safe mode (f8 during boot process - usually after memory check as completed)? If you can you might be able to resolve a conflict somewhere in the system (IRQ wise).

Otherwise I'd suggest a re-install of XP i.e overwrite existing installation but backup your data first just in case.

hth
Charles

Dimensional
13th Nov 2004, 12:32
I can get into safe mode maybe one attempt out of twenty, and even then it crashes within a few minutes of logging in.

And excuse the terminal lack of a clue, but how can I backup the data without being able to get at least a command prompt?

-D

amanoffewwords
13th Nov 2004, 15:32
I use an adapter cable from Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=28724&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=13m11) - it allows you to connect your laptop hard-disk to a desktop PC. Of course you need a desktop or someone whith one and you'll need to open it connect the cable to one of the ide ports (usually IDE 1 since you normally need IDE 0 to boot the desktop from).

Charles