PDA

View Full Version : Pilots and Beards

Burn'em and Turn'em
13th Nov 2004, 04:19
Does anyone know of any carriers that allow their pilots to have beards?? My situation is that I'm a Sikh from northwestern India and am not allowed to cut my hair, hence shave the beard. All the carriers I've spoken with in the U.S. (I live in Chicago) will not allow it due to the sealing of the O2 mask, however, every now and then I'll come across a pilot that says European and Asian carriers allow them. What do I do?!?!?!? I have a CPL/IR and currently working on a multi...and have plenty of debt to go along with it...gotta love it!!!

Can you give me any info concerning this matter? I'm not keeping one to make a fashion statement, its a part of my religion. Any info you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

B and T

Craggenmore
13th Nov 2004, 11:44
I know an ex British Airways captain who had a beard all his flying career. He retired in 2000. He flew 5 types from supersonic to Budgies!

cheers,

Craggs

Old King Coal
13th Nov 2004, 18:16
Additionally, might I inquire about the wearing of a Turban by a Sikh pilots ?.... esp. how such issues regarding donning of O2 mask / smoke goggles, etc. are addressed.

I.e. Aside from my own curiosity, I also ask this on Burn'em and Turn'em's behalf ( wherein he's asked me this via a PM but I did not know the answer ).

AIRLEBANON
14th Nov 2004, 05:41
Hello

Having attended a mainly sikh school here in London many of my friends are Sikh and want to be pilots and have Parents or relatives who are Pilots.
I know Air India Definetly allows it as I believe they have a number of pilots who where thier turbin safely, also there are many Low cost start up carriers in India now so it might not be a bad Idea to get back to your roots and work for one of the Indian carriers Since you are of indian origin they will look at you favourably especially if you have the experience which obviously you have.
The British police and Fire Brigade services here have many Sikh people and I know some of them and they can carry out thier duty just as well with thier turbin, I mean many of the british carrier will have a compationate view to religious beliefe and try to care to those needs, British Airways is one and then you can try out other carriers like BMI or Virgin, so you have many Ideas but if you really want to stay in the USA, then you might try flying for the lost cost carriers rather than the Big boys or even better maybe get a Air India Job that is Based in the USA but am not sure if AI flies to the USA, better still they do fly to the USA as my uncle has been there using Air India. You options are open just contact everyone your interested in, and hopefully you will succeesed so best of luck.

Kind regards
AIRLEBANON

Burn'em and Turn'em
14th Nov 2004, 22:09
AirLebanon and everyone else,

Thank you for the input!! I'm willing to go anywhere in the world, with a few exceptions, such as some of the shady/dangerous regions of Africa, as long as I can be myself and don't have to give up my religion. I have dual citizenships (US and Indian)....I think my chances of landing a job in the US are slim to none, even with the low cost carriers. I've spoken with a few Comair pilots and even called the training center in Florida and spoke with a gentleman who said that the beard wouldn't fly.

AirLebanon:
Would it be possible for you to get me in contact with some of the Sikh pilots you know of?

Once again, thank you all.

Regard,

B and T

AIRLEBANON
14th Nov 2004, 22:39
Hello again

It should not prove to be a problem give me a couple of days to sort out my emails and phone and will also need to ask them but am sure i can get you in touch with a couple of them.

Kind regards
AIRLEBANON

Burn'em and Turn'em
15th Nov 2004, 01:05
Only with their consent....Thank you much !!!

B and T:ok: