PDA

View Full Version : Dual Citizenship

rollie rotors
13th Nov 2004, 02:47
Got question(s) regarding the European Union, jobs, dual citizenship, and Canadian CPL(H) eqivalency. Not exactly in that order, mind you.....

Born Canadian, but have also German citizenship. Never thought of any distinct advantages (except choosing the shorter customs line). However over a brew my buddies suggested that being an EU citizen I could roll off a boat in any EU county, without any red tape, find work, and live another day. Is there any substantive truth to this? and if so....... or not.....having a Canadian CPL(H) any vague eqivalency to CPL (H) licenses within the E.U. ?

Don't worry, haven't booked my passage yet. Your jobs are still safe.

paco
13th Nov 2004, 06:35
Once you get your foot in Europe, you can work anywhere within it - you just have to declare your residency. Being German already - no problem, then. The only problem with that is that the exams will likely be in german, so you might want to choose UK for that. You will not get much for your Canadian CPL, probably just the hours, but you will need to talk to an authorised training centre about that. be prepared for the whole 9 yards!

Phil

Helipolarbear
13th Nov 2004, 11:43
RR...I have dual c'z'ship too and is very useful in certain ways.
It's true you can work in any EU member state. However while the FCL 2 dictates the Lic req's, you'll find different formal FTO requirements in each EU country. Ask the Finnish Aviation Authority for their take as oppossed to the UK CAA or the German Bundesluftfrachtamt (I think thats the spelling)
The great thing is when you have the JAA Lic it is immeadiately valid through out the Union and no validation requirements are needed. As for taking someones job, keep in mind there are far more european pilots working in North America than the othner way round!!!!!:}

rollie rotors
14th Nov 2004, 03:50
Thanks Paco and Helipb for your advise. Appears the EU work provision provides me with "Plan C" and who knows, if alot of European rotorheads are heading West. I may just do a switcheroo and head East.

Cheers, Rollie