PDA

View Full Version : Aurigny cut routes

Guern
12th Nov 2004, 18:30
Aurigny are cutting all routes from Jersey except the Interisland flights. More here.

http://www.thisisguernsey.com/code/shownewsarticle.pl?ArticleID=012160

we_never_change
12th Nov 2004, 21:52
Also, the SH360 is to be taken out of service & sold & there are rumours of the Saab 340s leaving the fleet leaving Aurigny with the ATR72s & Trislanders

WNC

Oshkosh George
12th Nov 2004, 21:57
Not rumour of the Saabs going--there is a statement to this effect in Guern's link above.

phil_2405
13th Nov 2004, 11:06
The airline is reducing its Guernsey-Bristol service to one flight per day and the East Midlands and Bournemouth routes will be phased out from January.

FLYboh
13th Nov 2004, 14:18
Maybe Thomsonfly are planning a Jersey route out of BOH and Aurigny got a whiff of the plans.

Rockhopper may step in on the Guernsey route. Rumour is that they are planning to acquire a number of larger aircraft which would be more suited to this type of route.

Jamesair
13th Nov 2004, 17:23
This all sounds very bad news for Aurigny. I must say I was planning a flight from London to Jersey in October. The website didn't seem to work very well, maybe that was my server blocking "pop-ups" but I couldn't get into the booking engine. A phone call brought a curt ...£150 reply for a Stansted flight. Flybe got my business from Gatwick at much less.

How does all this affect Rockhopper? are they viable?

J-Guy
13th Nov 2004, 17:45
It is all very sad Aurigny dropping services like this. Aurigny had hinted that there would be further reductions after the flights from Jersey to Dinard and Alderney were discontinued, however, I never knew that the cuts would be this drastic. Aurigny were still advertising UK regional routes from Jersey up until last week, and the winter timetable showed upgrades in frequency of the Bristol, Stansted and Manchester routes from the island, so this news was certainly unexpected. Just the Guernsey route left now, which is quite a decline from past years.

At least we still have a number of airlines still operating on the Bristol, Bournemouth and Manchester routes from Jersey. Hopefully somebody will pick up Stansted again and I'll keep my fingers crossed for Thomsonfly at Bournemouth in 2005 ;)

Tranceaddict
13th Nov 2004, 22:55
Hi all

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but are all the STN-JER and GCI routes going? And if so when from.

Could someone clarify exactly what is going, and when.

Many thanks

Guern
14th Nov 2004, 13:53
STN / GCI route is staying but will operate with ATR instead of Saab.

Everything from JCI is going so Aurigny will only have inter island flights with Guernsey from Jersey.

According to the papers ultimatley they want to reduce to ATR & Trislanders only.

More details here http://www.aurigny.com/content.asp?pageID=438

er82
14th Nov 2004, 15:15
It's all good news for Flybe. We used to operate a JER-STN last year and then stopped it. Perhaps now we'll take it back on, and perhaps even start a JER-MAN. Don't think BOH will get a service from us seeing as its so close to SOU.

aeulad
14th Nov 2004, 15:30
Flybe.'s JER-STN was a charter operation. They have never operated a scheduled service between Jersey and Stansted.

Regards

Mike

er82
14th Nov 2004, 16:23
Forgive me....................

Flybe used to operate a CHARTER from JER-STN last year. Now that Aurigny have stopped this SCHEDULED route, perhaps Flybe will take it on.

J-Guy
14th Nov 2004, 17:06
BA operated the Stansted Saturday charter from Jersey this year with a DH8. Flybe. still operate the summer schedule service to Luton and also Southend as a charter, both operating on Saturdays. Either way I believe the airlines that would be willing to take up the STN route are limited. It was only Aurigny last year that took the route over after many years without the service that was previously operated by KLM UK.

There was talk of a new Jersey based start-up airline taking up the route last year with an ATR type aircraft. I hear they are still working towards acquiring an aircraft.

Interestingly enough, Aurigny are using the ATRs on inter-island flights for the winter timetable, possibly testing the response if the Shorts were to disappear?

FLYboh
15th Nov 2004, 15:25
From thisisguernsey.co.uk

Are any of our jobs safe?’– Aurigny staff
by Nigel Baudains

AURIGNY staff expressed fears for the airline’s future as jobs were axed yesterday.

Aurigny managing director Malcolm Hart said that the shedding of 19 jobs would give the airline a firmer platform and expressed optimism that it would have the opportunity to expand in the future.

The company has made 19 staff redundant across its network and workers are worried that more could follow.
‘It’s a close-knit team and people are feeling kicked in the teeth,’ said one worker yesterday.
‘People are asking how a States-run outfit can lay these people off and there’s a lot of upset people. If some are losing their jobs, how long will the others keep theirs?’
But managing director Malcolm Hart said the airline would emerge as a stronger operation.
‘We see this action as having cleared the air and given the business a firm platform for the future,’ he said. ‘I firmly believe that opportunities will arise in due course and the business can retake its growth path.’
Five of the 19 jobs to go are the handling staff at Dinard, where airport authorities will take over the duties from 2005.
The remainder are principally crew members, including pilots, of the Saab aircraft that Aurigny plans to phase out.
They were used mainly on routes from Jersey, which is the reason why all regional links from there are being scrapped.
The airline’s operation in recent years has involved four types of aircraft – the Saab, ATR 72, Trislander and Shorts 360.
One of the two Shorts aircraft currently in operation will be sold off while it is hoped the other – currently on a long-term contract and used for the Jersey Post run – will be replaced with an ATR 42.
This was part of a medium-term strategy to simplify the fleet.
‘It’s always been a goal to get down to just ATRs and Trislanders and it was always going to happen at some point,’ said Mr Hart.
The use of a Shorts 360 on the Bournemouth link with Guernsey and Jersey was the main factor in the decision to scrap the service.
No jobs will be lost at Bournemouth or East Midlands Airport, although Aurigny is also suspending its service to both airports as a result of the cuts.
Mr Hart also denied reports that part-time staff would be losing their jobs.
He said that Aurigny had 29 people across its network who it can call on as casual cover. They were used as and when necessary and paid by the hour, but were not company employees, said Mr Hart.

Published 13/11/2004

Air Mail
15th Nov 2004, 17:54
Is that the same Malcolm Hart that ran Gill Airways?

Ayline
15th Nov 2004, 18:14
Yes Malcon Hart was previously at Gill Air.

www.ciaviation.com

loveJet
16th Nov 2004, 10:32
in that case, the whole airline is doomed, and Rockhopper will take over as the Number One channel Islands airline.

cool!

Jet

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
16th Nov 2004, 11:32
Lovejet

Anymore airlines you want to go after
Aurigny and Mytravel, real ray of sun are`nt you

Golf India Bravo

Jamesair
16th Nov 2004, 11:53
Another ex-chief of Gill Air is now running Air Southwest, which is a great success story.

Gill Air was a great little regional airline, brought down, I think, largely by non payment of a sub lease on the Bournemouth - Edinburgh/Glasgow routes.

Torquelink
16th Nov 2004, 14:08
Air Mail

It is.

FLYING-FODDER
16th Nov 2004, 20:08
IF ANYONE THINKS THOMSON-FLY ARE GOING TO RUN A B737 ON A BOH-JER-BOH RUN THEY SHOULD HAVE THEIR HEADS LOOKED AT. ALSO I'VE HEARD AURIGNY WILL HAVE 4 TRIS AND 3 ATRS LEFT ALONG WITH THE ONE SHED FOR THE MAIL. ROCKHOPPER ARE SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING MULTI-CREW TURBINE A/C RUMOURED TO BE SHEDS, ROUTES AS YET TO BE DECIDED. ALSO AER LINGUS HAVE APPARENTLY BEEN TOYING WITH THE IDEA OF AN A321 ON THE DUB-JER ROUTE NEXT SUMMER.

wizardprang
2nd Feb 2005, 21:37
Quite correct, the one and the same.....probably leasing his own aircraft at tax payers expense!

It is a shame to hear all those made redundant, just hope they get better treated then I did in 2003. Someone told the CP that I wasn't returning from leave....now thats a novelty after over 13 years service.
Promised redudancy terms but still waiting. If you are one of those just made redundant good luck.
As for Aurigny....great company turned rotten!!

CAP670
2nd Feb 2005, 22:18
Pity FlyBe doesn't restart its daily (Summer) schedule JER/LTN/JER: used to be a regular moneyspinner for BMA during the six months April to September.

Presumably Alderney/SOU/Alderney will survive??

:confused: