PDA

View Full Version : Low cost Windows XP

Tone
12th Nov 2004, 18:20
I see that there are lots of offers on e-bay for Windows XP packages at low prices. These are usually branded Dell or Compaq and are offered with the CofA. Does anyone know if Microsoft will allow these products to be registered if installed in a different PC?
Tone

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Nov 2004, 19:28
Tone,

Just to be safe I would get the OS from a reputable source. There are good prices for OEM Upgrades of WinXP, and that way you know you are 100% Legit.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. :eek:

mikedurward
12th Nov 2004, 21:27
Tone,

If you are going to buy a copy of XP from Ebay. You need to make sure it had not been registered before. I have sold a few on the net from PC's that came with XP pro preloaded but were never going to be used as windows boxes. As soon as they were purchased I put Linux on them. There fore the CoA was never registered with Microsoft. This practise in not illegal.

Make sure, if you decide to buy, that you dont buy a Dell copy. These will only work on dell machines. I have sold HP copies in the past and know that they are FULL copies of XP Pro.

Hope this helps.

Mike

IronHen
14th Nov 2004, 18:31
I bought a sealed copy of WinXP on eBay from the US (I'm in UK) which was an OEM CD marked 'for use with a Compaq Laptop...'
Loaded OK onto my Packard Bell win98 PC no problem and activated via Microsoft phone number.
Only cost me 45 GBP!
Must Fly:ok:

amanoffewwords
16th Nov 2004, 20:36
Toshiba also looks for the correct hardware (with the recovery disk anyway).