PDA

View Full Version : Very Early PVR

Wwyvern
12th Nov 2004, 16:07
I heard a character claim that he left the RAF after completing training because he was not posted to fast jets.

Is this likely? Didn't happen in the old days!

santiago15
12th Nov 2004, 17:08
Wwyvern,

It's certainly possible. To PVR before getting your wings is certainly easier than to PVR after getting them.

Not too long ago a former CAS had a son going through Valley. His son failed at a very late stage and subsequently left the RAF. I understand he now earns oodles in the city.

Caractacus
12th Nov 2004, 17:47
It used to be in QR's that you had to serve three calender years from the day you got your Wings. Worth checking this small point!

JessTheDog
12th Nov 2004, 19:38
You can get out very quickly if you voluntarily withdraw from training before entering productive service. After that, you have to give three years (I think) before you can PVR.

bad livin'
13th Nov 2004, 15:09
If you are chopped or VWFT (voluntarily withdraw from training) you can be gone in the space of a weekend in the RN's case. It all depends on the individual. A guy I went through Dartmouth with who was staggeringly, unbelievably unpleasant to deal with but who thought he was "the man" due to a half completed PhD in aeronautics failed grading for pilot after spending months bragging about how he'd cane it. He failed grading on the Thursday and was a civilian by Tuesday. I've seen other people get three and four cracks of the whip because...well, because they weren't twats.

Wwyvern
13th Nov 2004, 15:48
Many thanks for the updates.

Ww

Pontius Navigator
13th Nov 2004, 15:55
Years and tears ago we had a good egg whose father died and his elder brother offered him a job in the family firm. He had probably joined the RAF because he could not wor with his father. Anyway they would not let him withdraw from training.

He was told he had to continue initial training and then decline a commission. This is what he did. At least he had the satisfaction of knowing that he had qualified and the RAF possibly thought he might change his mind in the future. In those days we were taking in over 100 aircrew officers per month.