PDA

View Full Version : Dispatcher + Ground Ops Jobs

BPL321
12th Nov 2004, 15:45
Hello. I am looking to work either as a flight dispatcher or within ground ops at Manchester Airport but I'm not sure how to go about finding the jobs and so on. Regarding Flight Dispatcher roles I assume you apply to the actual airline? and regarding Ground Ops ie More on the ATC side like runway inspections etc, am I right in saying that is an Air Traffic Control Assistant role or is this a separate role to an ATCA and one that can be applied for through the airport? Basically if anyone who works in these roles, at Manchester or elsewhere and can provide some advice on how to go about researching for these jobs I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

speedbird_heavy
12th Nov 2004, 17:25
You'll be very lucky to get a job during this half of the year. Try and apply in February for the summer season. Your best bet is to apply to one of the handling agents for dispatch work, ie Servisair, BA or Ringway....

RowleyUK
12th Nov 2004, 19:20
I would have said to apply to Swissport at Man....I know they have just done some recruiting for F/T dispatchers without any experience.

However, the post on rumours and news would suggest otherwise!!

PM me for more details!

boeingbus2002
12th Nov 2004, 21:43
Article in Skyport (LHR/LGW paper) said BAA just finished a course for Airfield Operations. 9 months long.

Otherwise, for dispatch I would call up the Ground Handling agents first. Some airlines do have their own dispatch.

If this fails..try to get any job within (Baggage handler, check-in etc) as internally they would recruit first.

Skunkie
18th Nov 2004, 03:54
hi all
does anybody know about Servisair being operating in Malta International Airport?
Or anyway where is Servisair based for applying?
thanks a lot
brgds
Skunkie

speedbird_heavy
18th Nov 2004, 06:29
www.servisair.com lists all the stations where the operate.

Skunkie
18th Nov 2004, 23:14
thanks a lot speedbird...it seems the new is too fresh to be already in the website ;)
skunkie

cessna l plate
1st Dec 2004, 19:10
HI There
To answer your first question, with a couple of exceptions, despatching is carried out by the handling agents. At MAN these are Servisair, Swissport (although do check carefully, rumour is that they are all to enjoy a pay cut soon), Manchester Handling, Aviance and Ringway Handling. In my experience, as my brother in law is a despatcher, I would say that either Manchester Handling or Aviance are your best bet. Although not a good time to look at this industry, winter and all that, you might try and apply just into the New Year when these companies have a eye on the summer again.

As for the second question. These items are under the gusies of Airfield Operations. The unit is responsible for Runway inspections, Marshalling, follow me, bird scaring, taxi way monitoring, and safety enforcement to name but a few. As a rule, as this is a division of MA Plc, jobs are advertised internally first. Again as the rule of thumb goes, they like you to have a clean airside driving record, for at least a couple of years, and a thorough understanding of CAP 642 (Airfield Safety, available as a PDF from the CAA website). That said, MAN recently held a recruitment drive for about 6 jobs I believe, by the time I found out about it, the Airport Job Centre had run out of application forms, and they had had 300 + applicants for 6 jobs, so the competition is VERY tight.

My advice, try one of the handling agents for a despatch job. This will get you onto the airfield, as ops jobs do not come along very often, and when they do, the guys on the airfield find out about them first, Joe Public has very little chance at all!

G-SP0T
30th Dec 2004, 21:46
Its always worth giving swissport a try. no experience rqd (no trainning given either!!!) :*