PDA

View Full Version : Expanding The old Knowledge Base

airbirduk
12th Nov 2004, 15:27
Hi,

After some advice please, I am a UK licensed engineer thinking about expanding my knowledge base into a new area within aviation. Not a pilot but something for example Aviation Law.

My goal is to get a job in the USA within the aviation field so I am also working towards an A&P.

Any advice you guys/gals can offer on how to get started, where to find information etc would be appreciated.

Nineiron
16th Nov 2004, 09:15
US Air Law can for the most part be found on line:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

The A&P consists of a three part written exam, followed by practical and oral examinations. Books containing all the possible questions and answers are obtainable. Not as crazy as it sounds as there are a few thousand to choose from and only a few hundred selected for the examinations, and a high pass percentage. You have to pass the written exam first, then the oral and practical examiner will determine if you know what you are talking about, or merely have a good memory.

The first hurdle however is getting permission from the FAA to take the examination in the first place. You need certification of the required experience, either by training and/or time in the industry. Employers letters not accepted.