PDA

View Full Version : Pilot's leaving QF Mainline?

Chicken or Fish?
12th Nov 2004, 04:14
Listening to talk amongst crew it sounds as though a surprising number of Mainline and Australian Airlines pilot's are "in the process of" or "looking around" at possible alternatives overseas.

What makes someone leave what was once regarded as a great job? Are staff finally becoming so sick of QF Management that they are seeking other workplaces?

With a number of recent resignations from both Airlines how many more are about to follow?

:hmm: :uhoh:

Gnadenburg
12th Nov 2004, 05:00
Hope the boys are smart enough to get paid in Euro's.

I've taken a 30% paycut with the US dollar over the last few years.

You big spending and in debt Aussies will keep though!:p

Howard Hughes
12th Nov 2004, 05:17
Chicken or Fish?,

Surely you jest?

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

Capt Fathom
12th Nov 2004, 05:32
I'm sure it won't worry QF management. They will be pleased to watch the higher salary earners leave so they can introduce a whole new generation of low paid pilots into QF Mainline through Jetstar/Jetstar Asia.

Don't know where the grass would be any greener? The salaries and conditions of pilots all over the world are being reduced to peanuts! Why would you bother!

DutchRoll
12th Nov 2004, 06:25
News to me, C or F.

Maybe you're thinking of some of the ex-AN guys now in QF who already have 737/Airbus endorsements and are being lured to F/O or command jobs overseas rather than staying down the bottom of the QF pile & having to work their way back to a window seat through the QF seniority system.

Good luck to them, but I'm not sure that the grass is necessarily greener when you add everything up!

missleadfoot
13th Nov 2004, 00:15
Umm, the only one I know of that has left AO is a captain who was on a short term contract (2yrs) and that was over.

golow
13th Nov 2004, 00:27
6 in the last 2 months to other airlines but with 2250 pilots QF doesn't care.

CallButton
13th Nov 2004, 00:44
Missleadfoot you forgot to mention that the captain who left was on a 2 year leave of absence from QF to go to AO, and has simply returned to QF.;)

Gnadenburg
13th Nov 2004, 02:33
I have been told that 3 ex-QF left for greener pastures early this year and that another has just left in the "same" direction.

There has been active interest amongst junior Australian Airlines captains in Emirates & Dragonair.

As dull and dour as Cairns can be, I don't understand the enthusiasm to leave.

The American dollar is trading flat for the forseeable future, and with a stable Australian deficit only a crash in housing would reverse the Australian dollar's strength significantly. This has translated to a a 30% paycut to expatriate pilots paid in USD.

Add the political tensions of some regions and why would QF pilots be risking so much?

Unless you are junior with promotional prospects torpedoed by Jetstar, or coming up to retirement and a contract paying Euro's with a non-resident tax status, building tax credits for retirement -a QF exit may make sense.

But...... Virgin Blue pilots are attempting to leave in numbers. The bleak picture painted, of the existance of a low cost carrier pilot in Australia, and you can't really blame them- philanthropy kicks in and their expatriate mates lend assistance to their applications!;)

Rumoured that J* pilots snooping around abroad too.

Icarus2001
13th Nov 2004, 02:39
Two is a number and so is thirty five!:hmm: How many are we talking here big G? Is Flight Ops concerned? Are they hiring?

:ok:

The Matirx
13th Nov 2004, 10:37
The view from mahogany row is that even with 50-100 leaving per year there is no problem.

Two reasons.

First - Ego.

CP 'Calligula' and his trusty sidekick 'The Gerbil' are never going to admit that their systematic attacks on mainline pilot conditions and their contempt in general for pilots employed by the QF group is responsible for pilots leaving elsewhere.

Second - AIPA is 'on side' with the above destruction. The message that' things will get better' is being actively pushed. The -400 remains protected and probably the A380 as well

happydriver
15th Nov 2004, 03:57
2250 pilots...WOW!!!...but is this figure just mainline or is that the total amount of pilots in the whole QF group??

Capt Stabbin
15th Nov 2004, 04:30
Just mainline, happydriver.

Keg
15th Nov 2004, 09:50
Includes QF mainline and AO. Doesn't have J* or regional guys. Will be nice one day when we're all the one group! Maybe then we'll stop knifing each other in the back!:(