PDA

View Full Version : Swissport UK

Delta Jet
11th Nov 2004, 18:45
Just heard rumour that Swissport UK is to close down possibly as soon as tomorrow at Heathrow. Is this true?

ScootCargoOps
12th Nov 2004, 09:03
I've just got a copy of the letter from Swissport UK, seems like they’re in deep trouble. We should hear by next week if they’re on the way out.

Fly_Right
12th Nov 2004, 11:45
TO MODERATORS,

This topic is a rumour and, as it affects alot of us if true, should be returned to the Rumours and News Forum.

leonbrumsack
12th Nov 2004, 12:41
Apparently an announcement is expected soon... For the sake of my friends with Swissport LHR I hope it is a positive one.

(I also think this would be better in Rumours and News, it could effect a lot of people)

leonbrumsack
12th Nov 2004, 16:22
I've heard rumours that negotiations are still in place, but sadly, things don't look good for Swissport LHR. Apparently, it could close as soon as 12 o'clock this coming Monday.

Hopefully a resolution will be found. :sad:

RowleyUK
12th Nov 2004, 19:23
Well, if they do pull out of LHR i would be mighty pi***d off considering the amount of recruiting they have just done in Man........Not to even consider the amount of new kit they have bought for departments!!

Shame really..........Good luck though to all concerned

leonbrumsack
12th Nov 2004, 20:20
From what I understand, it's just the Heathrow operation that's in trouble. I believe that the former Groundstar stations are all safe, i.e. the 'new' Swissport UK...

tangocharlie
12th Nov 2004, 20:25
Leon... thats how I understand it also... just LHR.
Heard a story (hard to believe) that staff getting paid 13mths salary a year due former agreements hence problems now.

leonbrumsack
12th Nov 2004, 20:50
Correct - I know that Swissport staff receive(d) double pay in the month of November - as is common on the continent.

However, I am fairly confident that this is not the sole reason for the problems now. I believe the LHR operation made substansial losses last year, with the future not looking any brighter. Employees received letters a few weeks ago explaining the solution and possible resolutions...

I think all will be decided on Monday.

NB: I've just heard that apparently Swissport UK have recently (end of October) set up a new company (listed at Companies House) known as Swissport UK LHR. Who knows what this could mean...

leonbrumsack
16th Nov 2004, 07:29
Just heard on London's LBC radio station that Swissport Heathrow has colllapsed. A quick check of BAA's Heathrow website shows this to be true; the company has gone into administration.

See BAA site here (http://www.baa.com/main/general/baa/swissport_statement_frame.html) for more information.

Story from the Mirror website here (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm_objectid=14877512&method=full&siteid=50143&headline=fury-as-air-jobs-axed-name_page.html).

Good luck to all those effected.

Alan Tracey
16th Nov 2004, 11:29
I thought that Swissport was Groundstar????????

A big company like that can not just close part of their operation in such a way????? Dumping the staff.......

Who stepped in to handle the airlines affected?
Did they use the Swissport staff?

slingsby
16th Nov 2004, 11:51
AFSL and Aviance seemed to have stepped in at LHR. Some airlines had already been notified yesterday (monday) about the closure, so overseas staff, both ramp and check- in flown in and are operating a near to normal operation. Close sources on duty today report Swissport groundstaff forced to hand their airside passes in to BAA security staff who were waiting outside various Swissport offices and restrooms, and then told to go home. Those who were going through security check-points had the indignation of being told that their company now no longer existed in front of many other airline staff. Many people very distressed over this closure and many of my friends whom were employed by Swissport have my support. I find this instant closure astounding, the audacity to leave not only their staff but their customer airlines completely stuffed. I for one am glad for the airlines that various contractual clauses were written in to compensate for such abhorent behaviour. This will cost parent company Groundsar millions in legal lawsuits, not only from airlines but hopefully from their staff. Having dealings with their managers everyday does leave me with a sad feeling that no one is going to get any kind of severance package of any kind.:mad:

dontdoit
16th Nov 2004, 12:10
As one of those directly affected by the Swissport LHR strike last year, I am pleased to see these muppets getting turfed out on their backsides. What goes around, and all that. From almost exactly 1 year ago:

http://www.ananova.com/business/story/sm_835238.html

Dude~
16th Nov 2004, 13:24
dontdoit,

I hope you get made redunant too - with no prior notice, 6 weeks before Christmas.

Muppet.

ATIS
16th Nov 2004, 13:47
My heart bleeds,

Circusair, sorry servisair LGW, better brace themselves. Watch and learn. Striking isn't always the best option.

I bet the guys and girls at swissport wish they hadn't gone on strike now. Lets face it, majority of workers just want a day skiving off work. They really couldn't give a rats arse about some colleage (whom some probably don't even like anyway) who was suspended and needed reinstating.

I'm sure these other agencies will take on most of swissport's staff as they have found themselves with a lot more business.

slingsby
16th Nov 2004, 15:57
Yes, other companies may take on the Swissport staff, but then they can only be used as landside operations as they will all have to re-apply to the Criminal Records Check again. It will take several weeks to go through. Any good company will snap up the experienced check-in staff for the landside operation and redeploy their own pass-holders for the airside operation. I certainly will be recommending this to my operations department.

View From The Ground
16th Nov 2004, 16:21
Sympathies to the people involved. I think there are many and complex factors in this situation, which is very sad for those concerned. I understand that some staff were on quite high rates of pay (by industry standards) having been transferred in from Aer Lingus, whilst there newer colleagues were on much less generous packages.
Sadly in the avaition world the reality is we are moving to minimum costs and therefore Swissport with all that it inherited could not afford to compete. Sadly everyone has suffered even those on the lower pay rates. I have in my role interviewed many Swissport staff, and in general they did not have a lot positive to say about their Company. Hopefully given that other Handlers will no doubt pick up the slack, and the general shortage of good quality staff around LHR most of those affected will find something else in quite short order. You have to wonder on the wisdom of some of the action the staff were advised to take by their Union. I support higher wages for everyone, but commercial pressures and realities need to be factored into the equation when Unions decide to take action.

cjhants
17th Nov 2004, 12:20
i too know a lot of swissport lhr staff, and i feel very sorry that a lot of hardworking and loyal staff have been dumped. also worth thinking about dozens of small local businesses supplying Swissport UK who will lose what they are owed. we will all feel sick if BAA allow Groundstar to take over the Swissport handling business at LHR. Swissport group will have got rid of staff and debt while still being allowed to trade at other UK Airports. Perhaps this is what they had in mind all along, since they bought Groundstar in the summer. it may just be legal but something smells here!!