PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference?

crazy gal
11th Nov 2004, 15:26
Hiya!

I've done my homework and have worked out the difference in training here or the States. I dont see much of a difference in price. have a look and see for yourself. if i have missed anything out please do comment as any info will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

this is just an example

TRAINING IN THE UK

Dual 20 hours - 1880
hour build 50 - 3400

CPL/MULTI/IR - 12,500
CPLand IR test - 1274

licence issue Multi - 100
CPL/IR - 100

Mcc including acc - 3000

TOTAL COST 22054

TRAINING IN THE STATES (FLORIDA)

Flight - 450
Food - 300
Accommodation - 1500

Dual 20 - 1000
Hour build 50 - 1700

Multi - 1120
Multi test - ?

Cpl - 2600

BACK IN UK FOR IR

dual (to get familiar with airspace) - 10 hours - 950
IR - 8300
IR test - 637

licence issue multi - 100
cpl/ir - 100

Mcc including ACC - 3000

TOTAL COST - 21757

as u can see u have basically saved just under 300

if im wrong please do correct me! or if i have missed any costs

so why go states? obviously weather is far better therfore can get training done quicker! but why else.

thanks

crazy x

I forgot to add that i have been quite generous in my pricing due to contingencies.

thanks

crazy x

Sensible
11th Nov 2004, 18:01
Very optimistic flight hours I'm afraid! The price difference between UK and USA widens with additional flight hours. Also, I can't see where you have allowed for UK landing fees. Unless you plan to do all of your UK training in the summer, you will find that you will need more hours in the UK than in the US purely to brush up your skills because of the longer time scale for training in the UK due to weather limitations. Also can't see where the costs of ground school and the exams are taken into account. Also can't see where you have allowed for the cost of UK ILS approach fees.

The main advantages of USA training is obviously the weather which in the USA allows for intensive training, the absence of landing and ILS approach fees. Another advantage is that you will be in an intensive flight training atmosphere where there are less distractions.

Now watch me get shot down in flames.:ok:

Edit: Sorry, on second reading I have to conclude that you haven't done your homework and your calculations are way way out. I see that you have allowed for food in the USA but not in the UK:confused: I hope somebody who has done the training recently can give you a clear idea of costs. Essentially, whatever figure to reach, you will need to add 30% for contingencies. Also you don't say at what point you are at now.

FlyingForFun
11th Nov 2004, 21:39
I wouldn't expect to see a huge difference between the two. There will be a difference, that's for sure.... but if it really was huge, everyone would be going to the US, and all the UK schools would be closing down because they had no students.

The difference is just about right that many people can justify spending a little more to do their training in the UK. The reasons behind the justifications will be varied, but a couple of obvious examples would be so that they can stay near family and/or friends, or keep their existing job while they're training.

FFF
-----------------

High Wing Drifter
11th Nov 2004, 21:58
CPL/MULTI/IR - 12,500
CPL and IR test - 1274
For the UK, expect that alone to be more like £19,000.

I think you'll find it near impossible (even with min hour passes) to go PPL-MCC within £35,000. An example of the kind of insideous costs you should expect are the IR test alone will be in the region of £1300 for a/c hire and examiner fees. The CPL test will be in the region of £1,000. Approach fees will be something like £400. Landing fees will total about £1,000. Accomodation £400-£600. ATPL exam fees £800. And the rest!

helicopter-redeye
12th Nov 2004, 07:35
I recall that training in the US does not attract 'VAT' in the same way as hire will, whereas in the UK VAT is 17.5% of everything and no breaks.

The hire and training costs (and cost of fuel) is lower in the US and many other countries as well.

On the other side, the reason that all the UK schools do not close and everybody goes to the US is because not everybody wants to; the visa system makes it hard; people have homes and other jobs to help fund the course and we like "Blighty weather" because that is what you'll end up flying in when live.

h-r

englishal
12th Nov 2004, 07:43
Extra multi hours in the UK will significantly add to the cost. £280 (+vat?) per hour as opposed to $220 per hour in the USA...

You can go zero to fATPL and 270-280 hours via the USA route for £23,000 including ATPL exams.....

EA

crazy gal
12th Nov 2004, 13:42
Hi thanks for the replies.

I didnt mention that i'v finished my ATPL's whiles ago. just starting to go into CPL/IR

If i train in the UK i will be living at home thats why i havent included it in the price.

thanks.

crazy

B2N2
12th Nov 2004, 16:40
Ok, let me jump on the wagon here.
Just so this is clear, I am not advertising, this is my personal opinion.
I work for a school in the US.
The cost for a zero - FAA CPL-IR Multi
training package will set you back $32,000-$35,000 including ticket/housing/living expenses.
I was recently back in Europe, visited a couple of schools and was quoted the following offer:
zero- JAR CPL IR SE (!) for 93,000 Euro.
Latest currency exchange makes that $119,000 ...
So 3 FAA CPL's for one JAR. Now I know little about the conversion cost, but no way that it's up to $84,000.
So unless you're totally retarded :8
and need 84K to convert you're keeping money in your pocket. It is that simple...
To clarify, I'm staying away from the discussion what you should do first, where and when, the advantages and disadvantages of either way.
Just money- talk here.
Mind you the training package above is ALL in NEW airplanes with the latest navigation packages, not "clapped out"
25 year old trainers.
Please email or PM for further info...
Frankly I'm surprised schools in Europe even survive....at those rates.

PS my apologies for coming across a little agressively, but JAR vs FAA is one of those little things that get's me going.....and yes flight training is tax exempt..at least in Florida :ok:

drauk
12th Nov 2004, 20:34
By the look of your figures you'd save something off of the US training costs if you did an IR in the US, then converted it to a JAA one when back in the UK. This is because you will only need (assuming minimum hours) to do 15 hours back in the UK and take the test.

B2N2
20th Nov 2004, 18:42
So Crazy Gal you going to keep us up to date of your decisions?
Where and when?

crazy gal
23rd Nov 2004, 12:41
Hiya! Thanks for the replies.

I have been to a few schools now and have asked them to give me figures etc... and to tell u the truth there's only like a grand or 2 difference betwen here and the USA and from one school to another.

So im planning to do my training here. Saves me all the paper work hassle and waiting for visas etc....

I spoke to a Captain and other jet pilots recently they all told me :-

" Where are you going to fly'? If In the UK then do it here.

Thanks for your advice

Crazy

African Drunk
23rd Nov 2004, 19:56
Also build into the cost that most FAA IR's unless they have the experience and/or went to a good FAA school are doing more than 15 hours. Last 3 low hour FAA conversions I came across ( at 3 different schools) where approaching nearly a Full JAA IR course in terms of the hours needed to pass. They were all at schools with good reputations and high pass rates doing their conversions.