PDA

View Full Version : What happens after fATPL

AlexL
11th Nov 2004, 08:40
Hi

I'm currently researching the possibility of launching into the training to get towards a frozen ATPL. I've read and re-read alot of the threads regarding cost and age (i'm 34) and am under no illusion about how much i'm going to spend and I'm well aware that I'm not going to sit around waiting for the major airlines to bash my door down. I have a reasonable job (which is however not particularly thrilling, and which I don't want to do forever) and a good salary. I am also aware that I will almost definately not earn as much if and when I get a job flying and that the industry conditions are not particularly great, however this is not the reason I'm doing it, I'll be quite happy flying turboprops for a regional or freight or whatever really!

My question is fairly specific - The bit I'm struggling to reasearch and find any evience on ( anecdotal or otherwise) is what do most people do after the fATPL.

Currency

What is the best way to stay current?
How much is an average annual cost to stay current?
Are there any other inovative ways to stay current - i.e club together with a group of colleagues an hire a jet sim for some hours.

Jobs & Hours

Is it reasonable to expect to be able to stay in my current job whilst job hunting?
Or will I need to build so many hours that I realistically need to go full time flight instructing?
if so are hours instructing in a spam can really worthwhile to prospective employers, or am i better keeping with demonstrating a good record in my current (professional, graduate) career?
How many, and what type of hours do employers realistically look for, or is it really a matter of right time, right place, right person and you get the job wether you've got 250 or 1500 hours?

Sorry, theres lots of questions but I don't want to embark down a road if I don't at least have a vague Idea of what is going to happen.

traumahawk71
11th Nov 2004, 09:54
As you mentioned there are lots of threads on this subject. This is by no way a difinitive answer but does contain at least some ideas for you

Do you have the minimum requirements to start your fATPL, i.e. PPL and 100 hours.

After the fATPL the fun bit begins where you start spending loads of money getting all the required ratings CPL, IR, mulit-engine, night rating and finally the MCC course.
All this can be achieved within a few months or a few years depending on your situation. Does work allow you to take a few weeks off at a time or will you only have weekends.
Remember never ever pay up front to any organisation.

Staying current is again down to the individuals. I have heard that airlines like to see at least 50 hours flown a year.

Clubbing together to buy a light aircraft is one method. Some aircraft owners have formed their own clubs around their aircraft where you pay a monthly fee and the flying is fairly cheap. One such club by me was £40 a month and then £40 for each flying hour.
Some people save their cash and then have two or three week holiday in the US for example and fly intensively then. Good way of getting cheap twin time compared to this country.
Getting an Instructor rating is another route lots of people will take. This will allow you to keep your current job and instruct on weekends or instruct on a full time basis. As an example in just one year of full time instructing i have managed to build up between 700 - 800 hours. The pay is not that great though so be warned.

As for hours required that all depends on the individual airline but is mainly influenced by Supply and demand factors. Not uncommon for airlines to request at least 1000 hours for modular route or 300 - 400 for intergrated route. (see bacitiexpress). Twin time does seem more appealing and that tends to be in the region of 100+ hours.

The main thing to remember is there are lots of pilots out there in a similar situation and that its up to you to make you're CV and flying experience stand out from the rest.

Hope this is useful TH71 :ok:

NinjaBill
11th Nov 2004, 10:39
Sorry to be pedantic,

There is no requirement to have 100hrs prior to embarking on a atpl theoretical knowledge course, only that the candidate holds a valid IACO PPL.

regards

NB

G-DANM
11th Nov 2004, 10:54
As quoted in the GAPAN report I would strongly recommend you budget for a Multi Crew Co-operation course (MCC) and a Jet Orientation Course (JOC) to be completed after you have finished your training. (These normally cost around £4500 - £5000 when taken as a package)

mattd2k
11th Nov 2004, 11:15
To add to Ninjabill's pedantry there is no actual licence called an fATPL. It is in fact the commonly used term for having passed the CPL and IR flight tests with the ATPL theory exams past. So please ignore traumahawks comment about having to get these and the night rating after you have your fATPL as this is nonsense.

Alex, I am 29 and about to start my CPL/IR next month and suffer similar age concerns, so unfortunately can’t really offer any advice on what to do after the IR. Personally I am heading down the fairly traditional instructor route.

It’s a tough decision so good luck with it all.

MD2K

BigGrecian
11th Nov 2004, 13:37
There is no requirement to have 100hrs prior to embarking on a atpl theoretical knowledge course, only that the candidate holds a valid IACO PPL.

Does the PPL have to be current? I have had a look through LASORS but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Fuel Crossfeed
12th Nov 2004, 11:03
There is no requirement to take a JOC- the MCC yes.
JOC is just a money making scheme for the FTO's.
Airlines only require the MCC.
The majority of graduates wont get the hands on a jet until a few hundred hours down the line,unless they have been airline sponsored or paying for a type rating.
After the MCC I personally would do the Flying instructors course, then if I had a few grand to throw away (unlikely!!) would I think about doing a JOC (unlikely too, unless it became a requirement.)
Thats my opinion.

ATP_Al
13th Nov 2004, 08:35
Your PPL doesn't need to be current to start the ATPL theory course, as long as you've got one issued by an ICAO state you'll be ok.

Al

Tinstaafl
13th Nov 2004, 16:20
Also the MCC has nothing to do with getting the licence. It's an additional course that is related to getting your first multi-pilot type rating. Whilst doing an MCC may be a de-facto necessity on the job hunt it's unrelated to the prerequisites for the issue of a CPL or ATPL