PDA

View Full Version : ATPL(H) to ATPL(A)????

Paul McKeksdown
11th Nov 2004, 08:37
Okay, first of all waiting for the flak!! Helmet on and heads down boys!

However, the possibility exists of converting an ATPL(H) to planks but I cannot find a ground school that provides the said training!! As far as the CAA goes we require Principles of flight Fixed wing, Performance A and this mystery bridging package in order to obtain the theoretical pass at ATPL(A) level.

If anybody knows more details of this let me know please!!!

(Notwithstanding planks abuse and all associated sundry :p )

Remember! The light at the end of the tunnel could be an oncoming train :}

helicopter-redeye
11th Nov 2004, 09:26
Apart from the flying hours, I thought the theory part was just the two or three A papers that an H would not have done in Mod 2.

So any Gnd Sch approved for the training could do the add on??

Checkout LASORS D4.3 on A to H or G1.3 for the other way.

Or just ring a GS like GTS in B'Mouth and ask them if they do it. They have the auth. for A and H. (www.GTServ.co.uk)

Agaricus bisporus
11th Nov 2004, 11:22
Paul, two approaches here.
First, apply to the CAA for an assesment.
Second, check it is correct against the published requirements for the ATPL(A). They dont always get it right.

All you have to do is acquire the necessary flying hours (A) plus train for and pass the GFT (think it should be day only as the IR covers night) plus IR and the ground subjects that you don't have already, as described above. The tech is simple. Aircon and pressurization, airscrews, P of F (A), a Perf that relates to your test a/c type- probably perf E and ATPL Nav which is a big one.

You may be able to argue our of some of the sillier requirements like the night navex or min 5 hrs night navigation training if you can show you are current on SVFR night ops in helos for instance.

The flying is challenging but fun, the IR is pretty tough - Bristol is the place for that imho, the tech is not much and the Nav is a real pain. Any decent training school will sort the courses for you.

The result is well worth the effort but you wont half miss flying helicopters...

rotorboater
11th Nov 2004, 11:39
Whilst we are on the subject, I am planning to do my CPL(H) soon but as we only seem to have an ATPL course, is it possible to do the groundschool for A as well as H, it seems to be just a couple of extra exams and you never know, I might want to fly a plank sometime.
:rolleyes:

Paul McKeksdown
11th Nov 2004, 14:19
Thanks for that guys,

From what I have found out, delving into the murkier depths of the CAA building, is that I require CPL(A)/Multi/IR flying hours, including the night requirements (Have already flown over 800 hours in the dark but wings that go around don't count

:rolleyes: ).

The problem is finding a groundschool that will provide the ATPL Bridging course. The other option is to sit all ATPL(A) exams again!:{

Will carry on looking and let others know what I find!

Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train