PDA

View Full Version : Lycos as a domain registrar

amanoffewwords
10th Nov 2004, 20:50
Has anyone else had problems transferring a domain from Lycos to another registar?

I'm doing an e-commerce site for a client but the project has stalled because of Lycos - we've being trying to get an answer from them for 6 weeks now...i.e we just need the authorisation code to be able to complete the transfer but it's been one way communication so far.

Which leads to my next question: who can I report them to [is it worth it?] - is there an internet regulator from problem with registrars (or agents)?

Thanks
Charles

Memetic
10th Nov 2004, 21:10
Which top level domain is it?

.co.uk? .com?

If it's .co.uk you can pay nominet ( www.nic.uk ) THE registrar to move it to a new Tag for you.

I read today that for .com domains you now hav just 5 days to say NO if somone requests your domain is moved otherwise the move happens! Yikes. The default used to be no reply no change.

Perhaps if thsi domain is a.com it could work in your favour.

Memetic.

drauk
11th Nov 2004, 00:39
Don't know if you've read this (http://easily.co.uk/index.php3?exe=transferin&opt=more) or anything like it but it is quite informative on the subject in general, even if you're not trying to transfer it to them.

amanoffewwords
11th Nov 2004, 08:28
Sorry guys, meant to say it's a .org domain - which means you need an EPP (Extensive Provisioning Protocol) code to perform the transfer. Once you have that the transfer process completes automatically within 24hrs or thereabouts [I have a domain and hosting reseller site/have done it before].

The whole point of EPP is that it can only be obtained by the current owner of the domain, thus making the transfer secure (unless passwords/userids are compromised).

.com and others rely on email being sent to current contacts for their approval - nothing is done unless they agree.

Anyway, I did a bit more digging after a good night's sleep (always helps) so I meandered around the ICANN site (http://www.icann.org/) and eventually landed on the internic site where there is a form called InterNIC Registrar Problem Reports (http://reports.internic.net/cgi/registrars/problem-report.cgi). Just hope it doesn't drop down a backhole. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Charles

amanoffewwords
29th Nov 2004, 13:36
Well I've discovered that Lycos are a reseller than a registrar (but they don't make that point clear anywhere on their site).

Their customer services is abysmal (makes BT look like saints).

My client and I requested a transfer from them on 6th November. We followed it up with more emails and several phone calls until eventually we got in touch with someone in their customer services that actually a grey cell available.

Net result is that on 23rd they told my client they would call me to explain "the procedure" for the transfer. When we chased up on 26th they emailed me a form which needed to be completed and sent to the States. The reply was to be sent to Lycos and then I would initiate a transfer from my own registrar and Lycos would approve it.

It is now 29th November, no news from the US or from Lycos so we are in limbo and the site will not be up and running before xmas, as originally planned.

Enter the lawyers.

So the short and sweet is, avoid Lycos when registering a domain, unless you want to stay with them for life.

My opinion, not that of pprune of course (<--legal disclaimer)