PDA

View Full Version : New Airline for Aberdeen?

Oshkosh George
10th Nov 2004, 10:07
From another list-------

City Star Airlines just taken delivery at Aberdeen of Dornier 328 D-CPRU.

Nothing else known at present. Anybody?

Just edited to say the company is registered in Kingswells,Aberdeen.

Just found a link to a picture,where the caption says the airline is Icelandic,and painted on under a sticker is TF-CSA. Stranger and stranger!

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=275047

circseam
10th Nov 2004, 14:16
Have not heard of this company, search on the web produced this :-
Trade Marks Journal No. 6553 22 October 2004

2327304 22 March 2003 (39)

CITY STAR
CITY STAR AIRLINES

Application for a series of two marks.

Transportation of goods, passengers and travellers by air; airport check-in services; arranging of transportation of goods, passengers and travellers by land and sea; airline and shipping services; baggage handling services; cargo handling and freight services; arranging, operating and providing facilities for cruises, holidays, business travel, tours, excursions and vacations; chartering of aircraft; rental and hire of aircraft; aircraft parking services; travel agency and tourist office services; advisory and information services relating to the aforesaid services; baggage check-in services, airline booking services, air traffic control services, aircraft handling services.

City Star Airlines Limited, 14 Callum Park, Kingswells, Aberdeen, AB15 8XJ.

Agent: Kennedys Patent Agency Limited, Queen's House, Floor 5, 19-29 St Vincent Place, Glasgow, G1 2DT.

Gonzo
10th Nov 2004, 14:40
air traffic control services

You wot?:confused:

Oshkosh George
11th Nov 2004, 15:36
A source at Aberdeen says it WILL be based there,and due to commence schedules soon,yet to be announced,and very secret!

G-OCAT
11th Nov 2004, 15:58
Call me old-fashioned if you like, but I was always under the impression that if you were going to launch any scheduled service anywhere it was always a good idea to tell people about it before you started?!

Any danger these guys might have a go at the old BE ABZ-LCY route I wonder?

Oshkosh George
11th Nov 2004, 16:53
My source tells me that it's secret because it's in direct competition to an existing operator on one route,and indirect competition on another!

Make of it what you will!

No doubt there will be a period of recruiting/training before they start,so maybe plenty time yet for announcements.

Booyaaka
11th Nov 2004, 21:48
Isn't flybe due to launch services out of ABZ. Could be quite signicant too - apparently they have Eastern very much in their sites.

An announcement is expected soon confirming an order for another 10 Q400s. ABZ, NWI, LPL are all expected to feature as bases for the new planes.

Ed Set
12th Nov 2004, 09:49
Isn't flybe due to launch services out of ABZ. Could be quite signicant too - apparently they have Eastern very much in their sites.

Aircraft has been doing limited crew training recently, with rumours of a charter operation to BIRK?
First I've heard of the Flybe interest. They dropped the ABZ-LCY some time ago as unprofitable. May be things have changed?
But weren't VLM supposed to be doing that as a stop of for Brussels?:confused:

charterguy
12th Nov 2004, 19:34
Mabe these guys will have a go at Eastern's cash cow ABZ-HUY ?

jamesbrownontheroad
13th Nov 2004, 15:56
Things will definitely get interesting in 2005 out of Aberdeen, and it won't just be Eastern getting involved - if the rumours about FlyBe starting a hub in NWI are true (see http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=149368) then BMI-R are going to be dragged into things as well.

*j*

Jetsearch
17th Nov 2004, 19:24
Is someone able to get me out of some confusion? Why does an Iceland operator register the a/c German for operating it out of Aberdeen? Checking through my mind I am reminded to Air Omega UK. Whole bunches of secrets, lots of announcements about whatever services. Wasn't it Aberdeen being involved?

Well, I'm a bit scared that too many of these guys might be out there. Good luck anyway!

Oshkosh George
17th Nov 2004, 19:56
As mentioned above,the aircraft was presumably sourced in Germany,and presumably Icelandic OWNED (connection not established yet). Carries TF-CSA under the D-CPRU sticker.

And apparently not connected to the Air Omega start up.

The aircraft doesn't appear to have moved since arriving at Aberdeen,and website still doesn't work! It does seem a little odd to acquire an aircraft,repaint it,and have it sit around.

Jetsearch
28th Nov 2004, 19:22
Anything new from that one? Don't really want to stress this topic but I like strange things demystified. ;-)

Oshkosh George
29th Nov 2004, 17:37
The aircraft has apparently been refuelled,and is now in a hangar,presumably having work done on it.

Sorry to be so vague,I'm intrigued as well!
Still the website doesn't work.

ALLMCC
30th Nov 2004, 12:22
Flybe website now showing ABZ - BHD as bookable starting 04 April 2005 - did a quick comparison on fares with Eastern to BFS - Flybe £38.00 incl return - Eastern £187.90 incl return - no contest really! Thought ABZ was to be a new base for Flybe so presumably more routes will follow.

jamesbrownontheroad
30th Nov 2004, 22:27
Flybe website now showing ABZ - BHD as bookable starting 04 April 2005 - did a quick comparison on fares with Eastern to BFS - Flybe £38.00 incl return - Eastern £187.90 incl return - no contest really! Thought ABZ was to be a new base for Flybe so presumably more routes will follow.

No contest especially when you consider Eastern fly to BFS, and FlyBe go to BHD (for those unfamiliar with NI, BFS is about 30km / 45 mins from Belfast city centre, compared to BHD 5km / 10 mins) Considering Eastern's strong business market, it's a matter of when and not if T3 get pushed off this route.

*j*

Mister Geezer
1st Dec 2004, 20:26
We need more stands at ABZ!!! :hmm:

letMfly
3rd Dec 2004, 18:10
No sooner said than done Geezer. Stand 10 has been split in half (unofficially 10L and 10R), giving us an extra stand, but only for J31s and smaller. Who said AAL were tight with the dosh!

letMfly

CityStar
4th Dec 2004, 21:22
Hi all

This aircraft is back on the east side I think. In and out of the hangar like god knows what.

Some tittle tattle about operating to Copenhagen to compete with Cimber.

Anyways, time will tell.

cheers

CityStar

Oshkosh George
8th Dec 2004, 13:50
Website now works,but nothing to see,just a phone number and e-mail address.

http://www.citystarairlines.com/

circseam
9th Dec 2004, 09:43
a/c photographed at Aberdeen (http://www.airteamimages.com/pages/citystar/citystar.html)

Oshkosh George
9th Dec 2004, 14:58
Local newspaper says Aberdeen -Oslo will be announced today.
Also rumour of Reykjavik.Is this feasible in a 328?

Link here to announcement,which also states the Icelandic connection(2 partners)------

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149485&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149233&home=yes&contentPK=11459472

Mister Geezer
9th Dec 2004, 22:50
Hopefully they will have better success on the Aberdeen-Oslo route than Brymon had a few years ago. They used to run a Dash 8 under the BA franchise back in 99 and they packed it in due to poor loads.

Oshkosh George
10th Dec 2004, 15:18
Flights will be twice week-daily commencing 17th January,and costing £198 return with BOGOF on some flights.

Not low cost then!

Oshkosh George
11th Dec 2004, 14:10
Tickets go on sale on Monday(13th). Looks like it will be via telephone or e-mail only.

we_never_change
12th Dec 2004, 16:00
Any plans to aquire a second aircraft as a back up initially?

Are there many whitetailed Do328s parked up around the place?

WNC

aeulad
12th Dec 2004, 19:24
I hate to be pessimistic, but I really can't see this working.

Regards

Mike

Meeb
12th Dec 2004, 20:50
Have to agree with aeulad on this... The Do328 is a fantastic aeroplane but is notorious for trying to make money flying it! I fear another new start up outfit with a poor business plan about to fly headlong into oblivion... :rolleyes:

Oshkosh George
12th Dec 2004, 20:58
Well,I started this thread,purely out of interest,but that doesn't mean that I think it will work!

I don't know how much business traffic there would be,but there certainly isn't going to be much leisure traffic at those prices!Leisure travellers are going look for a good price ,and choose an alternative destination.

330-Purser
16th Dec 2004, 08:03
Has anyone else called to check prices yet?

I got answered by someone clearly on a mobile phone. Thought it was all rather embarrasing! :eek:

Rooster_mk1
21st Dec 2004, 16:31
Afternoon folks.

Just wondered whether anybody was aware of City Star doing any recruiting? The first i knew of this was an article in the local paper and haven't seen anything else.

Enquiring minds and all that.........

Cheers
Rooster:ok:

330-Purser
23rd Dec 2004, 17:11
Just been to their new online booking page and found that they are using HH as the airline designator.

Obviously there is some connection with Islandsflug as HH is their 2 letter code is it not?

Oshkosh George
23rd Dec 2004, 17:48
Just put in some dates and got fares of £254.20 and £554.20 return including all charges,dependent on class of ticket selected.

How many weeks do you give them?

Oshkosh George
24th Dec 2004, 15:47
The start up seems to be delayed,as the newly bookable link from their website rejected my input for January,but accepted it for February. Also initial page of website now says "coming soon",replacing "commences 17th January"

However,I've sinced learned that D-CPRU has been leased to Scot Airways from 3rd Jan-- 2 Apr 2005. So does that mean that ANOTHER aircraft will cover Feb--Apr for City Star,or is the booking website not updated?

Fried_Chicken
24th Dec 2004, 22:49
Will the Dornier remain German reg'd during it's loan to SAY & will it be dedicated to a particular route?

Fried Chicken

Mister Geezer
27th Dec 2004, 13:35
Oshkosh George

How many weeks do you give them?

Bit harsh I thought, Low cost flying is by no means the be all and end all and especially when dealing with the oil and gas industry!

On the east coast routes that Eastern do from Aberdeen, they have been the only operator on them (except NWI) and regardless of the fare, companies will pay it!

If there is the demand on the Oslo route (which remains to be seen) then which other way are you going to go from ABZ. You could connect at CPH or SVG but I doubt you will save a great deal!

Oshkosh George
27th Dec 2004, 18:11
Well,as I said,I don't know what business connections there are between Aberdeen and Oslo. I was just hoping there were some for City Star's sake. I assume they've researched it.

Captskyboy
4th Jan 2005, 22:31
OSHCOSH GEORGE

Qoute:
"Also rumour of Reykjavik.Is this feasible in a 328?"

It is very possible. The flight would take about 2:15 from Aberdeen in no wind. You would have to reduce pax load with 5-10 pax subject to weather.

The Aircraft is now in Reykjavik to be inspected by the icelandic CAA.

5711N0205W
5th Jan 2005, 11:28
There are quite a few Oil links between ABZ - OSL, I used the Brymon/BA service a few times when it ran but the Dash 8 was never more than half full when I was on it.

I note from the personnel involved with City Star that one of the named people is also (or was) heavily involved with a prominent travel company, this may help feed traffic to the route.

Good luck to them, I'll try them for my next hop to OSL if they're around.

david_wilding
6th Jan 2005, 14:28
I read that they have Icelandic investors and for some reason are re-registering the aircraft TF- something.

They also on their website make a mistake of, i quote "City Star Airlines Dornier 328 Turbo Jet Aircraft: The 32 seat Dornier 328 Turbo Jet aircraft is a German technologically advanced regional turboprop airliner" They call it a Turbo Jet then a Turboprop!!

ALLMCC
2nd Feb 2005, 10:51
Apparently Eastern are upgrading from a J32 to a J41 on the BFS - ABZ from the end of February - think it will take more than that to compete against Flybe to BHD - might have been more appropriate to take a look at their fare structure instead of providing more capacity!

Mister Geezer
6th Feb 2005, 21:11
The J41 is being put on the route because there will be no ABZ based J32 from the end of Feb. Fly Be is no factor in the decision process since there would of been a J41 sitting in ABZ for a few hours doing nothing and the ABZ based J32 is going to the new WIC base. However there have been a few J41 flights to BFS recently due to a J32 being filled with good loads.

Look how long Eastern have fought against bmi on the Norwich route and they have not given up. Eastern don't need many bums on seats to make money unlike Fly Be due to their low cost base and the high fares. Expect Eastern to stay on the route - their Chief Exec won't give up without a hard fight! Anyway one of their J41s will be far cheaper than a Fly Be Q400 in leasing costs since BA are still subsidising the J41 leases.

jamesbrownontheroad
24th Mar 2005, 21:11
Also rumour of Reykjavik.Is this feasible in a 328?

Must be, because although nothing official has been announced, and you can't book it yet, Reykjavík has appeared in the destinations (http://www.citystarairlines.com/star_destinations.htm) section of the CityStar website.

*j*

BOAC
24th Mar 2005, 22:18
For info - saw the crew and the TF Dornier operating today at Keflavik. Let's wish them well?

Oshkosh George
28th Mar 2005, 11:21
Oslo route due to start today,but I note on the BAA departures board that the flight has "please contact your airline" annotated.
They aren't having an easy time at City Star ,are they?

Richard Taylor
28th Mar 2005, 11:36
X9 101 lifted off at 0808hrs for Oslo :ok:

The return flight X9 102(due 1010hrs) canx,as is X9 105(the afternoon dept)but I understand there was only going to be one flight today,as it is a bank holiday Monday for the easter hols.

X9 106 is scheduled to arrive from Oslo at 2110hrs.

Lets see how they do as the weeks progress & not judge them on one day.

Wouldn't surprise me if Iceland was to be a destination at some point,given its Icelandic connections.

Good luck to them :ok:

Oshkosh George
28th Mar 2005, 11:47
OK,I wasn't trying to slag them,you could be right about Easter.
I read that Reykjavik already appears in the booking engine on the site,and was rumoured WAY back in this thread!