PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Falklands

tyne
10th Nov 2004, 06:23
Does the RAF still run the service to the Falklands from Brize Norton?

I read somewhere here it was being done by A330s on contract.

Can anyone confirm. And does the 330 have long enough legs to skip the Ascension Island stop?

Dan.

Memetic
10th Nov 2004, 12:15
http://www.tourism.org.fk/flights.htm

Assuming it's up to date the RAF are still doing the flights Brize Norton.

The SSK
10th Nov 2004, 12:28
According to this month's OAG it's still Tristars with a stop.

BEagle
10th Nov 2004, 19:56
Flights have been operated by bmi and Air Luxor A330s for a while; I don't know whether that's still the case or whether it's back to the awful old TriShaw 'service' provided by 21/6.

Interestingly, I found the following on the Internet:

Provision of a schedule of whole Aircraft Charter between the UK, Ascension Island and The Falkland Islands.

It is intended to let a contract for a period of two (2) years from 30.3.2005, with four six-month option periods. Requirement for a schedule of flights on a whole charter basis to transport military passengers, other government sponsored personnel and civilians, their baggage, weapons and cargo between the UK, Ascension Island and Falkland Islands. The Schedule will be based on 3 flights per fortnight on an itinerary of BZZ-ASI-MPN-ASI-BZZ with departure from BZZ on Tuesday, Sunday and Thursday over each two week period. The requirement is for a minimum payload of 37,000 Kgs and up to 250 passengers. Historically, the minimum size of aircraft suitable for the task has been shown to be an A330 or equivalent with suitable seat pitch compliant with CAA guidelines. Companies should note that it is anticipated that BZZ will be unavailable for use as the departure airfield for a period of approximately 6 months during 2005. Alternative departure airfields shall be identified within the Invitation to Tender.

atco-matic
11th Nov 2004, 23:15
I can confirm that its usually an Air Luxor A330. :ok:

tyne
12th Nov 2004, 04:36
So if you are flying down as an officer....I am Civvy but will be travelling the company of - do you get to go business class?

Done the TriStar thing before...which I enjoyed..but 16 hours in a nice seat sounds nice.

Cheers Dan