PDA

View Full Version : easterns sim and interview

flyby
10th Nov 2004, 02:06
Gday everybody just thought id see if any noble fellow aviators could enlighten me on any latest info regarding the sim ride and interview with eastern australia airlines. I just got a letter from the above forementioned stating i have passed qantas first stage skills and psyhc, what a bloody relief two weeks with butterfies in my stomach, and should be doing the sim shortly.
Before any one says anything i have already done a search with a lot of good info [cheers hughjarse ] , but not alot of current info
if any one could help it would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance .

Next Generation
10th Nov 2004, 08:02
From what I hear, it's more about who you know than what you know.

Heard that a very average pilot, with QANTAS connections, failed the Eastern sim, but was employed anyway.
Apparently the very senior checkie who failed him has resigned in disgust!

Meanwhile, many good blokes who have virtually been given the nod after their sim ride, have later received the "Thanks for coming, but unfortunately........." letter.

Go figure.

NG

Bill Smith
10th Nov 2004, 08:45
NG,

Would have to differ on your comment of "Not what you know but who"
I had been in Perth for 7 years as far from the East Coast as you could get.
I didn't know anyone at Eastern when I applied and was subsequently accepted.
Nepotism exists everywhere get over it!

Hugh Jarse
10th Nov 2004, 21:06
Heard that a very average pilot, with QANTAS connections, failed the Eastern sim, but was employed anyway.
Apparently the very senior checkie who failed him has resigned in disgust!

Sorry NG. Incorrect. There are several pilots involved with the sim ride. The "Senior Checkie" you refer to not only did not resign, but is still doing the sim rides (albeit at a reduced rate, as he has other more important tasks on his plate at the moment).

If a candidate were to fail the sim ride, then be employed I think the Chief Pilot would be asking questions of the recruiting team. More likely heads would roll.

It is definitely not "who you know", and nobody is given "the nod" at sim ride, as they have to successfully complete the interview afterwards. All aspects of the process must be passed.

But this is a rumour network after all:}

Good luck Flyby.

rtforu
11th Nov 2004, 08:08
God! What are they interviewing you guys for, the first ride in space ship one? So after passing all this Cr#p, that you probably had to pay for yourself, does this mean you end up getting a job with Qantas.

bonvol
11th Nov 2004, 12:31
Nope.

And for all the hassle and the privilege of doing checks for the rest of your working life, along with a near zero chance of getting to mainline you will be paid less than a train driver or a middle range QF F/A.

It still amazes me that Eastern F/O's can even make ends meet living in Sydney. I guess if it wasn't a good stepping stone to KA or somewhere better not many would do it.

The Enema Bandit
11th Nov 2004, 18:45
Are Eastern's educational requirements the same as for Qantas?

Hugh Jarse
11th Nov 2004, 20:56
T.E.B. They recently did change to HSC or equivalent. Previously there was no "defined" requirement.

rtforu: The only expense to the candidate (apart from transport) is the S&P. Sim ride is free:uhoh: If you work out the cost to the company resourcing the whole thing from first receiving your app, to the final letter, it costs a couple of grand per candidate. That's regardless of whether the candidate is successful or otherwise......At least you don't have to pay for your training......

Flying a Dash is far from Spaceship 1 (your words). Recruiting and its processes are dictated by the company that owns Eastern. Now its almost identical to the parent company. Can you see where it's going?;)

How true, Bonvol. However, as you know, career progression is excellent for Dragon, Cathay, Royal Brunei, EVA etc. I call it the Eastern Targeted Graduate Scheme:8

rtforu
12th Nov 2004, 03:24
MMM... interseting HJ. Why the f#%* should the poor young kid have to pay for part of the interview. Yes, it may well cost the company $2000 bucks to run a person through the process, so be it! That's a company cost. Pretty poor character to ask the kids lining up to cover it.

And another thing, suggesting that one day these same kids might end up getting a foot in the door with Qantas, what a con. I see, stay around on the cr#p salary and let us exploit the hell out of you cos you might get a foot in the door with Qantas. What rubbish!

As for companies who require pilots to pay for there own training, there's a reason for that. It's because they don't have a training department of their own. If you want to fly for a company like that, good luck. Thankfully there are still good profitable airlines in the world who professionally train their own pilots, pay good money and don't ask you to cover their costs.

My advise to you young guys, do to them as they are doing to you. As soon as you have what you need go and join a real airline.

Z Force
12th Nov 2004, 03:31
If both Eastern and Qantas have the same requirements for entry and obviously a similiar recruitment program, why would you want to apply for Eastern and not apply direct to Qantas?

Hugh Jarse
12th Nov 2004, 04:46
rtforu: I never implied that the company should/does charge for interviews, so chill out. I think I'm a little closer to the action in this topic than you are.

And typical applicants are not "kids", as you described.

Nor did I suggest that getting a job with Eastern gets a foot in the door at QF. Far from it.

If you have anything of value to contribute to flyby's question, please do. You're not doing too well at the moment.........

Z Force: You've heard the old one about the guys/gals that sit the S&P for QantasLink and get asked on the way out why they haven't applied to QF?

Could be that these individuals have applied to both, but their name comes up at one place before the other.

Not everyone wants to work for mainline, contrary to some beliefs
:E

rtforu
12th Nov 2004, 06:20
HJ

If you work out the cost to the company resourcing the whole thing from first receiving your app, to the final letter, it costs a couple of grand per candidate. That's regardless of whether the candidate is successful or otherwise......

Flying a Dash is far from Spaceship 1 (your words). Recruiting and its processes are dictated by the company that owns Eastern. Now its almost identical to the parent company. Can you see where it's going?

So please tell us, what were you implying?

As for being close to the action, are you kidding. I worked my rear end off so I could get as far away from your type of operation as possible.

As for offering Flyby some helpful information, I will reiterate. Persue a real airline that pays it's way. Forget the ones that ask prospective employees to pay their bills. Trust me if this is how it starts, it won't get any better.

Mr Nightmare
12th Nov 2004, 06:44
I remember a time when all a candidate had to do was have tea and bickies with the chief driver and maybe an ops manager or two.

How things change and typically for the worst.

bonvol
12th Nov 2004, 08:32
A source tells me many moons ago the now defunct EWA decided it might be a good idea to copy the recruitment procedure of AN and sent a couple of what were regarded as competent line drivers off to Chandler Macleod.

The modus operandi was to let CM think they were just prospective recruits and see what happened. Naturally, they both failed miserably and that was the end of that.

crayzedloony
13th Nov 2004, 10:43
All the best with your interview and sim if in fact it is not yet past tense flyby.

interesting that rtforu should attempt to conjure emotions about the.. Us vs them between the QF regionals and QF. of course when i joined the QF regionals only a short time ago the only cost to me was the... READ IT.. QF first stage! (all travel costs to interview aside... even the illustrious QF wont pay for that, for their own interviews).... but upon signning the dotted line, there are not bonds no endorsement costs etc.

however signing in the dotted line for qf immediately incurrs mmm let me see.... a $20000 bond! interesting..... yes you can be assured rtforu.... the training in the REAL AIRLINES! i.e the qf regionals is at the expense of the company

grrowler
13th Nov 2004, 19:09
rtforu,

what planet are you on dude? Where do you work that you didn't pay anything for the privilege of an interview? If I may assume QF mainline, apart from the S&P which at last check was 100 n something bucks for a dodgy old test run on 486 computers, and the mouth xrays, eye test and medical, and the crim check, you have to pay for your tickets to get there from wherever in the country you are. Remembering that this is in fact an airline, whilst many many other companies unrelated to aviation will pay to fly their candidates to interviews:yuk:

And then the training bond, and the dark-ages training wage. You have got to be kidding!

FlyonTHEwall127.4
14th Nov 2004, 05:08
No one else is constructively helping you so i'll try:
Firstly the point made in a couple of previous posts, implying EA try and feed you the story about the dream job at QF, what bulls..t , you couldn't be further from the truth, in fact they advised me that in no way would it help, even if i did want to get into mainstream QF.
Now the process............
Although unsuccesful i must say the interviewers at easterns where very professional (far from stuck up) and very easy going. The day itself begins with a group briefing, explaining the ins and outs of the day and how/what is expected of you, from there it's sit back and wait your turn.
Basically the panel interview is a casual chat (a couple of twisted questions-situations you've got yourself into and things you've done, more or less aimed at checking your strength of character and how you conduct yourself). What they're looking for, is someone who is honest but obviously not quite as honest as i was. All in all the panel interview is stock standard and fairly straight foward. When i did my sim check we used the 767 sim (what that's got to do with flying a Dash, I'll never know) anyway the idea was to ascertain your level of IF skills and verify/check your trainablity. Sim lasted for about an hour (feels like about 15mins), again you aren't expected to conduct a totally pollished effort, but as long as you show some kind of ability (even an improvement) your half way there.
Best of luck, if you need more detailed info feel free to send a PM, i'll try and help you in areas where i think i went wrong.

rtforu
14th Nov 2004, 22:57
Well guys, as I see it, you get what you settle for. If you are prepared to pay to fly to your own interview, pay for your own hotel, pick up some of the cost for your testing, on the chance that you might get a job on a sh#t salary, then go for it.

I'm afraid as pilots continue to accept this sort of BS from companies it will just get worse. And yes ggrowler, there are airlines around the world that actually fly you to the interview, put you up in the hotel and even pay you allowances while you are there. SOOO DUDE, take a look outside of the bubble you live in!

grrowler
15th Nov 2004, 07:19
rtforu,

Ok, I'll rephrase my point. Your profile says you are in Aus, if thats the case, it certainly narrows down the airlines you work for, if indeed you do work for one. I'm at a loss as to which one flew you to your interview, care to enlighten me?

So yes i agree, it does suck, but perhaps you're the one in the bubble.

Hugh Jarse
23rd Nov 2004, 20:41
Enema Bandit,

It appears that HSC might not be mandatory, contrary to my previous post.

Jet_A_Knight
29th Nov 2004, 04:25
According to the recently amended criteria (as on staff CV) "HSC or equivalent".

What is the relevance??

Douglas Mcdonnell
29th Nov 2004, 13:18
Gday Hugh. When are you coming over?

DM

Supercala
30th Nov 2004, 04:00
Heard a rumour that Easterns are changing their sim. Not sure if this means the a/c used for the sim ride or just an update of the 767. Anybody have anything more concrete?

Hugh Jarse
30th Nov 2004, 18:19
Supercala, the sim for all QF group applicants is changing in December to the 767-300. I believe the old Sim 1 is about to be decommissioned:E Therefore, anyone coming up for evaluation from about late December on should receive the data on the -300 to study ;)

Douglas, gidday. I didn't apply for the first EOI for personal reasons..:sad: Maybe in a few months when life gets back to normal (whatever that is :ooh: ) if the opportunity arises....

Good luck to those that did have a crack :ok:

Supercala
30th Nov 2004, 22:35
Thanks Hugh!!:ok:

Rough Landings
1st Dec 2004, 03:54
Heard that 52 from East and 6 from SS applied for the EOI, for 8 spots, GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!!!!!:ok:

hoss
1st Dec 2004, 07:57
I heard the 763 sim is only a temporary measure until the 380 sim arrives, can anyone confirm? :)

Hugh Jarse
2nd Dec 2004, 04:23
Hey Roughy, don't forget the steady stream of D.E. Airbus qualified applicants that are being processed also :E

Hoss, you a very funny man:} It depends where they locate it - when Sim 1 and 3 go there should be a spot in SY :} :E That 300ER near the lunch room's real plash eh? It's got a couple of LCD's at the IOS so you can watch the telly while you work, eh bloke;)

Willie Nelson
3rd Dec 2004, 01:47
Anybody know if EAA are still taking on new hires, if so how many are going through?

Near Miss
3rd Dec 2004, 06:27
During 2004 EAA have been running pilot course after pilot course. 2005 will be the same no doubt with more and more pilots moving on to bigger things. Course sizes have been around 4, some bigger (>10), some smaller (try 1!).

rtforu are you talking about CX? Sure they fly you to HKG and put you up, but for Stage 1 testing, you still have to make your own way to SYD. Like what as been said above, other than the cost of getting to SYD (twice), the only cost to the recruit is $165 (thank Little Jonnie for the extra $15) for the psych test. The 486 with Atari joystick and 767 are free (but not stress free).

For those about to undertake the EAA recruitment process, remember these:
Improve your IF scan (by hand flying, flightsim, whatever)
Know Terminal in the Jep (vis app (day/night), descending below MDA, alt requirements (lights/wx), etc)
Know thyself (have suitable true stories about yourself where you have shown leadership, dealt with a difficult employee/r, scared yourself, etc)
Know something about EAA (where they fly to, a/c no, what's a Dash 8, etc)

Good luck with it. If you plan to use EAA to get RPT experience then move on, good choice, for the training is excellent and will set you up. If you plan a career at EAA, good choice, for it is a good company with lifestyle benefits. If you plan to use EAA to get into QF, bad choice, go to another t/p regional instead for you will have a far better chance.