PDA

View Full Version : Dumping Physical Memory?

G-MANN
9th Nov 2004, 18:28
My PC has somehow been infected with some sort of virus and my harddrive keeps making horrible noises.

After about 10 minutes the system will freeze and I get a blue screen with the message 'Beginning Physical Memory Dump.'

I have spybot installed but can't rectifiy the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

G-MANN

DeepC
9th Nov 2004, 18:36
Ah....

The Blue Screen of Death!!

Try the guide to eliminating spyware etc in the FAQ at the top of this forum.

DeepC

G-MANN
9th Nov 2004, 18:42
Do you know if I can follow the guide while in safe mode? Will safe mode prevent the Blue screen coming up?

My main problem at the moment is actually having enough time to get to the correct internet page before the 'blue screen' appears.

Its doing my head in!!!!

G-MANN

P.S Using windows xp

SoftTop
9th Nov 2004, 22:01
It could be a few things.

Have a look inside the case and see if the CPU fan is running. Maybe check all the fans you can see.

It sounds very like a problem I had with this PC a few months ago where we would get the BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) and a memory dump at about 5 to 10 minute intervals.

Took the side off the tower unit (which was sitting on a carpet) and OMG! Dust and fluff everywhere. Hoovered it all out and also took the CPU fan off, cleaned all the accumulated gunk out from between the heatsink fins and ..... hey presto - no more overheating and BSoDs ... Bingo!

Before I came to that concluson though, I managed to download a monitoring utility from the web site of the motherboard manufacturer that gave me a graphocal and numerical representation of the MB & CPU temps, plus an indication of all the fan speeds and supply voltages along with a set of guide values. Very frightening as it all went into meltdown. At least it nailed the problem.

I also thought I had a virus but couldn't trace it. Just heatstroke.

Hope that helps

ST

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Nov 2004, 00:47
G-MANN,

What kind of "horrible noises" are your drives making?

I would help to have some greater detail about your system.

Take Care,

Richard