PDA

View Full Version : Uni Sponsorship, UAS Selection, RAF Work Experience

joe2812
9th Nov 2004, 15:54
Greetings again Gents (and possibly ladies...who knows).

I have my final interview next Monday for my University Bursary, before attending OASC (which I have been told is early next for for Uni applicants).

Just out of curiosity I was wondering

a) If I fail to get sponsorshop, how it will look on record when applying for UAS or again at OASC after my degree and,

b) What UAS selection entails and just how fiercely contested it is.

I have been reading through the last 2 years or so worth of posts on various relevant topics, which I feel has definately been beneficial, however none seem to quite cover what i'm looking for.

Ontop of these questions, I was wondering if anyone could inform me of the RAF's current position on taking 'work experience' students on. When we did school work exp. at high school I was told I could not go to Coltishall (my local base) due to health and safety, however have just e-mailed the CRO explaining my current position in the hope of some 'on-base time'. I've also seen the RAF Marham site which is very informative on the work experience opportunities on offer, however being too far away I would need accommodation. Do they offer this?

Thanks in advance for the no doubt informative responses :)

Joe

Tonkenna
9th Nov 2004, 16:19
Well Joe you will not be able to apply to a UAS until Sep next year anyway as recruitment is over. It is very competative and with amny more applicants than places, though you will have done the medical which is useful to the UAS.

You have to fill out a form and have a quick interview at the freshers fares. Assuming you come over ok and get invited for a second interview you will have to do the 40 minute "chat" similar to that you will do at Cranners for the bursary (current affairs, family history, why you want a place, etc...). Again, if you get through that it's off to Cranners fro the medical and appitudes (though you may not have to do that).

Tonks:cool:

Pontius Navigator
9th Nov 2004, 17:34
Success or failure in the bursary will affect your confidence but not much else. As far as work experience goes, we take 15-16 year olds, no problem. MOD is quite ahppy with this. My daughter did a week in the Met Office at Coningsby.

If, as I suspect, you are looking for a more extensive work experience then we do start to enter the health and safety, supervision and cost aspects.

If you are there for a week we can afford to give you close supervision and look after you. More than that the costs start to kick in as someone has to nanny you and this is a training burden that may impact on the unit.

OTOH is you can get a low risk, opportunity such as an Operation Assistant, Flight Planning Assistant or some such where you can be a gofer, then both sides may gain.

At your level you would be no more and no less than a pilot officer or flying officer out of Cranners and FAR less use than a senior aircraftsman. True and some JOs have difficuty grasping that when they try to hold down an ops job.